eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Power drain

· 
Posted: 01.07.2019  ·  #1
My van is using 0.2 A when everything is turned off any suggestions to find out where its going

Daffysparks

Subject:

Re: Power drain

· 
Posted: 01.07.2019  ·  #2
That’s about 2.4 watts. Any alarms, led bulbs in wardrobes garage etcnot switching off on their door switches Telly on stand by. If not, start pulling fuses one by one till load is eliminated. That hopefully will steer you in the right direction. Also on your generator to just charge the batteries. Why not just run your engine for a while. Do the same job

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2019  ·  #3
Well Dave, my parasitic current drain is down to 34 mA after some tracing and investigating. It was over 300mA at one stage. Below 50mA is considered acceptable. 200mA, like what you have can drain a battery in a few short weeks, especially with no solar in winter.

A bit of investigating should allow you to discover some culprits, although there may be no single outlier. It could just be an accumulation of many appliances.

First off, how are you measuring the parasitic current draw and is it accurate? If you battery monitor is reading that, confirm it by a inserting an ammeter In the battery supply or return path. That might not be easy for everyone to do. I have a battery isolator switch with binding posts that allow me to insert an ammeter before isolating the switch. You should use a good quality multimeter for this. Be sure there are no charging sources switched on when you do this, such as solar controllers etc. and that your split charge relay is in the isolated position.

So assuming you now have an accurate current reading. Now start pulling fuses in your fuse panel one by one and write down the residual current at each stage. You should be able to build an accurate picture of what circuits and appliances are drawing what.

In my case a big culprit was my pioneer stereo. When not on, it was always on standby and drawing 250mA, which is unacceptable. I have since installed and isolator switch for the stereo for when it is not in use.

I could get my parasitic current down to about 5mA if I wanted by putting an isolator switch on my propex heater, but I don’t want to do that as it would require resetting the propex ever time I switched it on. And, as I say below 50mA is good enough.

Goof luck. It is quite satisfying to get that current draw down.

Thornwood
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony Line 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2019  ·  #4
You should disconnect the fuses one at a time to see what is causing the drain

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2019  ·  #5
Ok question for the Techies. What is the minimum wattage/amps/volts/hp/mpg/torque etc needed to keep 2 x 110 batteries topped up when not being used

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2019  ·  #6
You’d have to read the manufacturers data sheet for your batteries but I believe for lead acid, you would loose about 5% capacity a month through self discharge. And this would increase when parasitic losses are included

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2019  ·  #7
Do you mind me asking if its the engine or leisure battery that had the drain?

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2019  ·  #8
@Daffysparks
Why not just run your engine for a while. Do the same job

That's what I have been doing and you've right, no gennie needed, think I'll go solar although useless in winter but handy in Dicks field etc

I will check, wardrobes etc and then start pulling fuses and see if anything shows up, I would expect 20mA loss but 200mA is high

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2019  ·  #9
Is it showing that when checking Dave?
It would use that much to preform the test,

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2019  ·  #10
The batteries are going down I'd say they would be flat in a month 12.8 to 12.6 in 2 weeks parked, but I see what you mean John.
Pulled all the fuses and nothing different

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2019  ·  #11
With all fuses pulled and it is still drawing 200mA? Is it your battery panel showing this current?

Phoebe
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail Apache
Base Vehicle: Fiat ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2019  ·  #12
Dave is it possible the van might have a tracker fitted and fed from a separate fuse?

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2019  ·  #13
Quote by eirebus

@Daffysparks
Why not just run your engine for a while. Do the same job

That's what I have been doing and you've right, no gennie needed, think I'll go solar although useless in winter but handy in Dicks field etc

I have 200 watt solar and still get a decent charge in the winter. The trick is to put enough on, so even in winter you are getting a return

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2019  ·  #14
Quote by The Rambler

In my case a big culprit was my pioneer stereo. When not on, it was always on standby and drawing 250mA, which is unacceptable. I have since installed and isolator switch for the stereo for when it is not in use.

Pioneer stereo here also, a big obvious for me was the fact that my phone connected to the pioneer Bluetooth with the stereo turned off and the keys out of the ignition.

Didn't realise it was so much power drain, maybe that explains... THIS

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2019  ·  #15
Quote by TommyS

Ok question for the Techies. What is the minimum wattage/amps/volts/hp/mpg/torque etc needed to keep 2 x 110 batteries topped up when not being used

A whole mine field Tommy. Ask twenty people. Get twenty different opinions. For me, I have the solar charging at 13.9 volts up until float charge. I then have it set back to 13.2 volts ( which goes against a lot of conventional thinking) There has been quite a few leisure batteries failing after a short life, and I think it could be due to being overcharged. At 13.2 volts, it will keep it topped off but won’t be stressing the battery. I’ll let you know in the coming years if it made any difference, good or bad

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2019  ·  #16
Quote by Ally

Quote by The Rambler

Pioneer stereo here also, a big obvious for me was the fact that my phone connected to the pioneer Bluetooth with the stereo turned off and the keys out of the ignition.

Very possible indeed. If you can manage it, get an ammeter in-line with your stereo and check your standby current.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2019  ·  #17
Quote by The Rambler

With all fuses pulled and it is still drawing 200mA? Is it your battery panel showing this current?

Yes

There's no tracker

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2019  ·  #18
Quote by eirebus

Quote by The Rambler

Yes

There's no tracker

So in theory all the loads are disconnected but obviously something is still loading the battery. I wonder if it is possible for you to disconnect your mains charger from the battery, just to rule it out? I had an issue before where my Zig charger was drawing excessive current from the battery when not on EHU. The Zig was faulty. That’s assuming the fuses you pulled did not disconnect the charger.

I can’t think what else is connected to your battery other than the mains charger as you do not have a solar controller.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2019  ·  #19
Quote by Ally

I had to go back and double check how much current draw with the Pioneer on standby. I overestimated earlier. The figure is closer to 150mA. Still way to high.

With the stereo power disconnected, via an isolating rocker switch I installed in the wardrobe, the battery current sits at about 25mA, as seen on the Victron battery monitor. (The display resolution only shows 0.02 Amps flickering to 0.03 Amps - the actual current is about 35 mA as by Victron is about 5 mA out - no biggy).

And with the rocker isolator switched on, the Pioneer is drawing 160mA on standby - 😬

With Pioneer switched on , and volume down to zero, over half an amp drawn.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2019  ·  #20
Is it possible that your leisure batteries are sending a small charge to your engine battery

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2019  ·  #21
Quote by Daffysparks

Is it possible that your leisure batteries are sending a small charge to your engine battery

I dont know , how would I check that ?

Agree with you on the 13.2v trickle charge

@rambler
Its a Schault EBL 220 box which controls everything so I dont really want to mess with it

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2019  ·  #22
Disconnect the engine battery live lead

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2019  ·  #23
And disconnect your mains charger to see

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2019  ·  #24
One thing at a time though. So you know what’s causing it. If it is that

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.07.2019  ·  #25
Quote by Thorn123

Do you mind me asking if its the engine or leisure battery that had the drain?

I take it that you are referring to the leisure battery side of things.

For Rambler,
The radio referred to is your "house" radio not your normal front dash radio.
You problem is that the radio is wired to a constant live positive.
It should be wired to a key off or main panel switch off controlled positive feed.
You have over came the problem by fitting a separate switch on the power feed.
Most appliances is snooze mode use similar power as to when they are working.

For Eirebus,
Disconnect you engine battery postive cable and about half hour later, check your draw. If there is a draw, I suspect that the relay for controlling the engine charge is stuck closed.
Modern van use a couple of watts per hour, for monitoring the alarm, mobilizing systems, ecu and so on.
If the relay is stuck closed, the habitation batteries will automatically be used with the engine battery, since they are linked together.
Unfortunately this relay may be part of the ehu charging unit circuit board.
I have heard of guy successfully soldering in a new relay to bypass the broken one.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.07.2019  ·  #26
Quote by Thorn123

For Rambler,
The radio referred to is your "house" radio not your normal front dash radio.

That’s correct, I installed it to be so. Once I could see the standby current was too high to be permanently wired to the leisure battery, I then installed the isolator switch.

Quote by Thorn123

For Eirebus,
Disconnect you engine battery postive cable and about half hour later, check your draw. If there is a draw, I suspect that the relay for controlling the engine charge is stuck closed.

I think you mean “if there is no longer a current draw, I suspect that the relay for controlling the engine charge is stuck closed.“ Once you disconnect the service battery positive, there can be no current flow between the batteries, jammed relay or not.

If it were me, I would first put a voltmeter across both sides of the split charge relay. If you measure a few millivolts there is a good chance the relay is closed. If you measure a Volt or more, it is definitely open.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.07.2019  ·  #27
I would first put a voltmeter across both sides of the split charge relay.

I know what that is but I don't know where it is

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.07.2019  ·  #28
Dave, I never noticed your reply about to me about the Schault EBL 220. @rambler won’t get me unfortunately but @“The Rambler” will. I take it that means you have an integrated charge controller and so can’t easily disconnect the charger. That probably means you can’t get at the charge relay too easily either. If there is an easy way to put your voltmeter probes between the service battery positive, and the leisure battery positive, ideally you would measure 0 Volts (< 20mV) if the batteries are connected, and something higher if they are disconnected. The splitcharge relay is an ideal place to do that as the two battery positive terminals run to either side of the relay.

I’m going to see if I can get a manual for that controller. I wonder if the 200mA quiescent current is actually within the manufacturers spec.?

But Daffysparks suggestion to disconnect the service battery might still point you to the problem. The only problem with disconnecting that is well you know, you might loose your radio theft lock, radio stations, and possible knock on effects with electric windows, alarms etc. But if you could identify the service battery lead that feeds the split charge controller, it should be fused. So just pull that fuse.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.07.2019  ·  #29

Dave, I never noticed your reply about to me about the Schault EBL 220. @rambler won’t get me unfortunately but @“The Rambler” will. I take it that means you have an integrated charge controller and so can’t easily disconnect the charger. That probably means you can’t get at the charge relay too easily either. If there is an easy way to put your voltmeter probes between the service battery positive, and the leisure battery positive, ideally you would measure 0 Volts (< 20mV) if the batteries are connected, and something higher if they are disconnected. The splitcharge relay is an ideal place to do that as the two battery positive terminals run to either side of the relay.

I’m going to see if I can get a manual for that controller. I wonder if the 200mA quiescent current is actually within the manufacturers spec.?

But Daffysparks suggestion to disconnect the service battery might still point you to the problem. The only problem with disconnecting that is well you know, you might loose your radio theft lock, radio stations, and possible knock on effects with electric windows, alarms etc. But if you could identify the service battery lead that feeds the split charge controller, it should be fused. So just pull that fuse.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.07.2019  ·  #30
Damn, I copied and pasted the wrong text into that last post. I just managed to repeat a previous post.

I’ll try make this quick. If you refer to the schematic above. On connector block E20-3F, both battery positives are fed via two 60Amp fuses. You can see the isolating relay across these terminals. That would be a good place to put your voltmeter probes. However, I can’t see this connection on pictures of the E220 backplane. Perhaps it makes sense to you?

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.07.2019  ·  #31
Quote by Ally

Just reread your post there Ally. I’m not sure it could explain your solar constantly charging. Your Pioneer would be wired from the starter battery would it not? Or does your solar charge the starter and leisure?

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.07.2019  ·  #32
Quote by The Rambler

Just reread your post there Ally. I’m not sure it could explain your solar constantly charging. Your Pioneer would be wired from the starter battery would it not? Or does your solar charge the starter and leisure?

Yeah it's starter battery. I realised I was typing nonesense the day after when I thought about it 😁

Not even started to look at my problem yet.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2019  ·  #33
Thanks guys I've parked this for the moment as I've ordered a solar panel and when it comes I'll have everything opened up and will get a better look at things, the biggest fuse I've found so far is 40A

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2019  ·  #34
Dave, I’ve read this thread and can not establish if the draw is from your hab batteries or your starter battery?
If it’s from the starter battery then one item that is a regular culprit for a parasitic draw is a diode in the alternator bridge rectifier failing. Will cause a draw up to about 750ma but the alternator will still function but to a lesser degree until the rectifier fails completely. If it’s the starter battery you’re having the draw on then disconnect the alternator lead while monitoring the draw on the ammeter.
All the above only applies if it’s from the starter battery side of things.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2019  ·  #35
Thanks Jon it's the habitation batteries, things got weirder over the weekend, parked up, fridge on gas drain was reading 300 mA not the usual 200???

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2019  ·  #36
Stupid question - how do you measure the drain? What setting and placement of multimeter?

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2019  ·  #37
The control panel gives reading of what power is being used and the batteries are losing power

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Power drain

· 
Posted: 08.07.2019  ·  #38
Quote by eirebus

Thanks Jon it's the habitation batteries, things got weirder over the weekend, parked up, fridge on gas drain was reading 300 mA not the usual 200???

If your Fridge/freezer is the modern type that lights automatically when turned to gas, it will have s standby mode on the circuit board in order to spark and relight it, if the is an interruption in the gas supply. So therefore it will be drawing some power for this to function. :-/

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2019  ·  #39
Quote by killiand

Stupid question - how do you measure the drain? What setting and placement of multimeter?

Killiand, ammeter is set to the ‘amp’ range and in the usual run of the mill multimeters they usually have a max of 10a scale. The big difference when reading amps is that the ‘+’ probe is usually changed over to another port on the meter and the most important difference is that amps are measured in series and not in parallel........ if you read in parallel you’ll blow the crap out of the meter, or at least the protection fuse side of it.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.07.2019  ·  #40
Cheers JJF, so disconnect negative, connect in series between it and battery terminal... Worth checking the van and defender!

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.