Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Winter covers on fridges

· 
Posted: 22.10.2012  ·  #1
A helpful explanation on whether to use winter covers on your fridge vents.....

Fridges do not add cold.... they take away heat!

Almost all fridges ( absorption and compressor types) use a refrigerant with a low boiling point. This refrigerant is allowed to evaporate inside the evaporator ( the cooler tubes) inside the fridge compartment and in doing so it takes some heat away with it, thus providing the cooling effect inside the fridge.

After the refrigerant has done its work inside the fridge ( removed some heat ) it has to be converted back to a liquid so that the process can repeat over and over.

In our absorption fridges ( the type of fridges fitted to most motorhomes ) the gas is changed back into a liquid using a method that needs only heat... there are no moving parts, no motor, no compressor.

So back to why we may need winter covers :....

The main reasoning behind fitting them is to provide the fridge with the optimum working conditions.

As I have explained above an absorption refrigerator is powered by heat either from the combustion of liquefied petroleum gas or from one of two electrical elements ( 12v & 240v).

In very cold weather the heater at the back of the fridge which is powering the absorption process may not be able to get hot enough to do its job efficiently or it may only manage it by using larger than normal amounts of gas or electricity.

So if the covers are not fitted the fridge may well work as normal but it will probably be using more energy ( gas or elec) to do it.

Conversely if covers are fitted when not needed the fridge will not have sufficient ventilation to work effectively.

So if you have them fit them when the temp drops below the temperatures recommended in the instructions.

If you do not have any then under most conditions in the UK the fridge will still work... it may just use a bit more energy.

Taken from: http://www.motorhomefacts.com/…sc-10.html

Robbie

Subject:

Re: Winter covers on fridges

· 
Posted: 22.10.2012  ·  #2
One thing about fridge vents, if you have a bigger size fridge freezer they generate some heat and using vents can damage the fridge feezer never mind the worktop above them. We found this out when we tried a set earlier this year. Defo wont be using trying them again

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.10.2012  ·  #3
my manual says to put covers on below 8 deg..the heating element explains why fridges are not great on batt..

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.10.2012  ·  #4
Yeah mine says below 8 degree's also, I'll try them this weekend.

Robbie

Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.10.2012  ·  #5
Yup quite a lot of manuals say the same including ours !! will be interesting to see if anyone else with a big fridge freezer has issues when covers are fitted reducing the air flow

Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.10.2012  ·  #6
I never fit covers as none were supplied. Our previous van had one with it so I used it.

We use it all year without any issues.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.10.2012  ·  #7
I'm glad to hear that Mark, as I was considering buying some but if you didn't have any problems I can't see me having any either.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.10.2012  ·  #8
i never used them before but present van has large fridge freezer and covers were supplied so will probably start using them again this weekend too ally, used them last winter but dont know if they made any difference but nothing blew up so that has to be a good sign :D

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.