killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Traveller S520
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato (1993)
Subject:

how far have you gone...?

· 
Posted: 16.06.2019  ·  #1
We're stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment - we can't go anywhere for lots of reasons, but we also can't taste the opportunity of going anywhere because the camper is awaiting a repair..

But it hasn't stopped us dreaming! Which has led me to wonder, how far have you gone? land in spain/france/holland? What's the farthest away from port you've travelled?

We'd love to load up and get to Croatia for example - but is that realistic?!

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: how far have you gone...?

· 
Posted: 16.06.2019  ·  #2
Quote by killiand

We're stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment - we can't go anywhere for lots of reasons, but we also can't taste the opportunity of going anywhere because the camper is awaiting a repair..

But it hasn't stopped us dreaming! Which has led me to wonder, how far have you gone? land in spain/france/holland? What's the farthest away from port you've travelled?

We'd love to load up and get to Croatia for example - but is that realistic?!

We travel Europe every year Killiand and have been down to the south of Portugal and the costas in Spain a couple of times. Yes, Croatia shouldn’t possess any great problems and we’ve looked at going down to Greece. We’re fortunate enough to be able to take extended time away and when traveling longer distances that is a big bonus. We’re looking forward once again to being away over the winter but it will be Spain for us once again.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.06.2019  ·  #3
All depends

MerlinTheMotorhome
merlinthemotorhome
My Motorhome: Compass Avantgarde
Base Vehicle: Peugeot
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.06.2019  ·  #4
We were students living in London and our daughter was 2 years old at that time, we hired one and headed off to mainland Europe. Done France, Belgium, then onto Germany and Luxembourg. Our daughter picked up a viral infection and we ended up in a German military hospital.

That wee girl is just finishing her 1st year at Banbridge Academy this summer, we've two more now, 4 and 3 year old and bought our 1st MH this year planning to head off to Europe once again.

My main concern is that Europe looks very different now-a-days with a lot more human displacement and economic uncertainty in some countries.

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.06.2019  ·  #5
Reckoning if I'm still with the same employer - Ill be able to get three weeks together, which would be a nice amount of time I think :) not quite an over winter... but should do the trick :D

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.06.2019  ·  #6
We bought our 1999 camper 5 years ago. Our first trip to Europe that summer was to Romania, We travelled right down to Mamia on the Black Sea....Next stop would have been Turkey! The 2.8 idtd engine never missed a beat and we were on some horrendous roads to boot. :-)

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.06.2019  ·  #7
Quote by panda

Our first trip to Europe that summer was to Romania, We travelled right down to Mamia on the Black Sea...

that sounds amazing! how long did you spend at it? there's a certain attraction to going back and re-training as a teacher... could think of plenty of ways to spend the holidays!!!

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.06.2019  ·  #8
Quote by killiand

Reckoning if I'm still with the same employer - Ill be able to get three weeks together, which would be a nice amount of time I think :) not quite an over winter... but should do the trick :D

Managing the annual leave can be tricky.
From my experience, I find that if I start and finish the hols with half weeks, my employer is more accommodating. From their propective, I finish up half through week 27 and return halfway on week 30. I get 3 weeks off the company is only losing me for 2 full weeks.
Killiand the only limits on your destination is yourself and the amount of time that you want to spent driving.
Last year on the return sailings from Cherbourg, I met a guy who had driven 17 hours on his return trip. He was on a 16 day trip, 2 used on the ferry and only 2 used driving, leaving his family a 13 day holiday.

sootyrex
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Elddis
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.06.2019  ·  #9
Quote by killiand

Quote by panda

Our first trip to Europe that summer was to Romania, We travelled right down to Mamia on the Black Sea...

that sounds amazing! how long did you spend at it? there's a certain attraction to going back and re-training as a teacher... could think of plenty of ways to spend the holidays!!!

That is some trip !! Once I went from Zurich to Romania and back in a week, It was tough going and I only managed to get about 1/2 way across Romania (Sibiu)... and that was on a motorbike with a tent. I had been hoping to reach the Black Sea. It was in early Autumn .. Harvest time, and I have been thinking how it would be to go there with camper. Thats really impressive for first trip !!

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.06.2019  ·  #10
Quote by killiand

Quote by panda

We spent around 5 days on the Black Sea before heading back to Bistrita ( Transylvannia Region ) Where my wife is from. On our way to the Black sea and almost central Romania is the beautiful city of Brasov....We spent a fantastic day there....I remember going into a butchers in a local market buying loads of ham etc...The people looked shocked when I started feeding my dog with it o.O :D

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.06.2019  ·  #11
Quote by sootyrex

Quote by killiand

Quote by panda

That is some trip !! Once I went from Zurich to Romania and back in a week, It was tough going and I only managed to get about 1/2 way across Romania (Sibiu)... and that was on a motorbike with a tent. I had been hoping to reach the Black Sea. It was in early Autumn .. Harvest time, and I have been thinking how it would be to go there with camper. Thats really impressive for first trip !!

That sounds like a great trip also on a motorbike! It took us about 3 and a half days to get to North west Romania, We went via UK and Channel Tunnel. I'm not one for hanging around when distance needs to be covered....

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2019  ·  #12
Ardmore 😁

Bournemouth 😁

TippOff
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2019  ·  #13
Brighton !

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2019  ·  #14
So far for us it's been ballintoy.... 😁

Didn't have the confidence in our old van to hit the continent.. Despite threatening it on numerous occasions!

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2019  ·  #15
All across northern Spain and as far south as Valladolid, 6500Km in a little over six weeks. I'm getting withdrawal symptoms at the moment so time to start planning another trip. Blog of last trip here. forum/topic.php?t=17115 Question for Mods, is there any way of reinserting the pictures that were lost from the blogs ?

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2019  ·  #16
Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2019  ·  #17
Quote by Flipperdipper

All across northern Spain and as far south as Valladolid, 6500Km in a little over six weeks. I'm getting withdrawal symptoms at the moment so time to start planning another trip. Blog of last trip here. forum/topic.php?t=17115 Question for Mods, is there any way of reinserting the pictures that were lost from the blogs ?

Yes pictures can be reinstated by yourself.
Open the post and hit the blue arrow box at the bottom and select "Edit".
The simplest way, would be to add the new pictures at the beginning or the end of the post and press submit.
Editing one post at time is the only way.
Pictures can be added in between the text but it's painfully slow to get it right

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2019  ·  #18
Athens over 5000 miles in total Think it was 1983

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2019  ·  #19
Quote by Thorn123

Yes pictures can be reinstated by yourself.
Open the post and hit the blue arrow box at the bottom and select "Edit".
The simplest way, would be to add the new pictures at the beginning or the end of the post and press submit.
Editing one post at time is the only way.
Pictures can be added in between the text but it's painfully slow to get it right

Thanks Malcolm, I must get busy on that in the coming weeks.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2019  ·  #20
We went as far as Hungary some years ago and it was a fantastic holiday.

denbo
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2019  ·  #21
We travelled 10 countries the furthest away was Bulgaria right on the border of Turkey

wanderingaimlessly
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Nissan Interstar
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.06.2019  ·  #22
Our first big trip was in a t4 poptop with an 18 month old.we got the ferry to holyhead and then another ferry from harwich to netherlands, then belguim, luxembourg, germany, switzerland, liechtenstein, italy, monaco france and back from roscoff in 3 weeks. furtherest point was probably the italian riviera. i think that trip was around 5000km
We are now home a few weeks from our second big trip and had another passenger with us, we upgraded the poptop to a nissan interstar as we had another kid last year, so with the 3 year old and a 9 month old we did france spain and andorra and back over the pyrenees....again in 3 weeks. furtherest point was probably zaragoza in spain. we did approx 3700km on that trip.
everyone thinks we are crazy especially with 2 small kids but i think people are crazy going to a resort and not leaving the hotel for a week or 2.
We met a couple in france that had 2 boys the same age as ours that were 6 weeks into a year long trip......it got us thinking......will keep doing the euromillions.

AdiH
AdiH
My Motorhome: Challenger
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.06.2019  ·  #23
Very envious of the great distances some of you have covered- would love to have longer time off work!

The furthest we've ever been to is Lake Garda from Cherbourg almost 3 years ago. With only 2.5 weeks holidays, 3 young children and only one of us willing to drive the motorhome (not me!!), we're kind of restricted on the distances we can cover in a limited time period. Prior to Italy, we went from Cherbourg to San Sebastian. This year we're taking the ferry to Santander in July, so while we intend just exploring Northern Spain, we might head a bit further south to Portugal depending on how much we see and do in the first week, as well as the unpredictable weather in Northern Spain. Getting lots of hints and advice from older posts here, only 4 weeks to go, can't wait!

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.06.2019  ·  #24
I did 1000 miles in 24 hours once, on a motorbike...

Does that count? :lol:

(And it was in Ireland)...

killiand
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.06.2019  ·  #25
Went to go to donegal but remembered when you got there that you'd left the immersion on?!

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

how far have you gone...?

· 
Posted: 22.06.2019  ·  #26
Quote by Blag

I did 1000 miles in 24 hours once, on a motorbike...

Does that count? :lol:

(And it was in Ireland)...

Was that the 24hour Honda 50 endurance race in Mondello park. :-/

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.