Squidge
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

VW type 2/25 Camper

· 
Posted: 14.06.2019  ·  #1
Hi, After much thought and discussion i’ve narrowed my choice of camper down to a type 2 or type 25 classic VW camper. I will be buying in July/August, more than likely in the UK due to choice. I plan to go over for a week or two to look at campers for sale.
Just looking for tips on what to look for in these vans. Are some models/years better than others?
Any help or pointers would be much appreciated.

Regards Gerard

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: VW type 2/25 Camper

· 
Posted: 14.06.2019  ·  #2
No idea about them but good luck in your search!

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2019  ·  #3
There is a business in Newtownards, Co. Down that renovates, hires and probably sells VW Campers. Drive past it every week admiring the wrecks outside but don’t know their name. I’ll find out.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2019  ·  #4
See if you can find the tv series Campervan Crisis. The episodes are on Youtube.

Rust rust rust.

Not trying to put you off but watch and be prepared for what you might well find.

[url=

]

[/url]

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2019  ·  #5
I have had both. The Type 2 was rusty, had problems with electrics and fumes from the heat exchangers I loved the 1600 engine. It took me over 5000 on one journey without a cough. The T25 was a 1600 diesel again no real problems with it apart from the water gurgling and banging like central heating one time I took it over the Alps. Would love to go back to a Type 2 but would miss my luxuries

Squidge
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2019  ·  #6
Thanks, yes it would be a compromise on a more advanced Motorhome. I’ve looked at buying a motorhome, Campervan or van conversions for over a year now but I keep getting drawn to the VW’s as I think they look beautiful and quirky with the added benefit of being functional.
I’ve looked at YouTube and yes rust can be an issue on some models so I’ll definitely be looking out for that when viewing. Some nice renovated models in the uk at the moment but as with most things the final factor will be price.
Regards Gerard

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2019  ·  #7
I wish you the best of luck on your hunt.
On this day last year is was north of 25°C, the iconic picture of a VW camper which translated to a night time temp of 15°C. A comfortable sleep.
Tonight the temperature is to drop to 6°C.
I am not having a go at your choice of camper but I am questioning your choice of practical functionality of campervan/ motorhome living in Ireland, where the mean temperature, rarely gets above 15°C.
Malcolm

Squidge
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.06.2019  ·  #8
Perfectly understandable question. If the camper doesn’t have a heating system installed then I plan on having one done. I also plan to modernize/adapt as much as possible if not already done.
I also plan to use the camper on the continent. My current sleeping bag covers down to -15C comfortably. I’ve tested it out camping in sub zero temps and I have been very toasty in it.
If in the end I find the camper does not suit my needs then i’ll sell it and get a camper that does suit me.
Regards Gerard

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2019  ·  #9
You are obviously from a camping background, Gerard.
Pleaae excuse my questioning because there are alot of Muppets arrive here looking for affirmation for their mistaken lifestyle changes.
Malcolm

scotgard
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Adria Twin
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato Maxi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.06.2019  ·  #10
My first camper was a type 25 and coming from years of camping in a 2 man tent, off the back of my motorbike, the van was the height of luxury. The price of current T2/25's seems high by comparison to newer vw campers or van conversions in terms of value for money and I think that is because of the appeal of these vans to people as a lifestyle. I only had one major problem with mine in 3 years and many miles of travel around Ireland, Scotland and Europe, where I blew the head gasket climbing a pass in the alps - radiator in the front couldn't cool the engine quickly enough so choose carefully, bear in mind the advice re rust and good luck with your search.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.