Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

Spain Calling

· 
Posted: 26.05.2019  ·  #1
Spain is calling me again and I have to go, besides it's time to give the van another good run. Brittany ferries to Santander, out 2nd Oct return 3rd Nov €979. Stenna to Cherbourg, out 3rd Oct return 6th Nov €493. I don't really want France but at those prices I'm considering doing the Cherbourg route. I'm thinking of allowing 3 days to drive through France avoiding toll roads and motorways and looking for suggestions for routes and any info about the journey at that time of year. Not sure whether I'll head for Bilbao and the north coast or Barcelona and the Mediterranean coast, I'm open to suggestions. :-) :up:

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Re: Spain Calling

· 
Posted: 26.05.2019  ·  #2
I’m booked 2 Oct Cork to Santander. I have done France in Nov and found it almost closed. We tend to take 5 days from France down to Spain but our dog gets a bit anxious on long driving days so we don’t do more than 4 hours driving a day. We avoid tolls in France.
Have a good trip whichever route/ferry you take.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2019  ·  #3
I'd think

adria
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2019  ·  #4
One tank of diesel ....to get down to spain.....and you still have plenty of change...Enjoy the trip..

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Spain Calling

· 
Posted: 26.05.2019  ·  #5
I am considering driving the van down to cork parking it there and Flying out to Santander and doing the Camino del Norte for a month and have my van shipped unattended on the ferry arriving the day after I finish walking, and Susie fly out to meet me, then spend about 10 days touring around Northern Spain and back up through France for a boat home.
I have a mail into Britany Ferries to find out if they will ship the van on its own.with things as they are I'm not expecting an answer soon.
I am presuming there shouldn't be too much difficulty with shipping the van, they take trailers all the time and all the vans and cars are shipped into Ireland

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2019  ·  #6
You would have to leave the van keys with them Martin I'd be afraid they'd lose them 😁

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2019  ·  #7
Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

I’m booked 2 Oct Cork to Santander. I have done France in Nov and found it almost closed. We tend to take 5 days from France down to Spain but our dog gets a bit anxious on long driving days so we don’t do more than 4 hours driving a day. We avoid tolls in France.

Leaving earlier this year Jamie ?
We’ve not booked yet, thinking early November like last year and returning later.
Still think the Cork-Santander route is worth the extra few euro to get to Spain.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2019  ·  #8
Yep, really want to spend some time in Galicia before the weather breaks. And I think the cork to Santander albeit more expensive ferry is worth it for us and saving the drive down through France. Plus this time I’m telling no one about the aire in Santander in case it’s full again 😂😂
Quote by JJF

Quote by StrandcampingDoonbeg

Leaving earlier this year Jamie ?
We’ve not booked yet, thinking early November like last year and returning later.
Still think the Cork-Santander route is worth the extra few euro to get to Spain.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2019  ·  #9
Quote by Flipperdipper

Spain is calling me again and I have to go, besides it's time to give the van another good run. Brittany ferries to Santander, out 2nd Oct return 3rd Nov €979. Stenna to Cherbourg, out 3rd Oct return 6th Nov €493. I don't really want France but at those prices I'm considering doing the Cherbourg route. I'm thinking of allowing 3 days to drive through France avoiding toll roads and motorways and looking for suggestions for routes and any info about the journey at that time of year. Not sure whether I'll head for Bilbao and the north coast or Barcelona and the Mediterranean coast, I'm open to suggestions. :-) :up:

From Cherbourg:
First night Saint-Étienne-en-Coglès
Second night Saint-Romain-la-Virvée
Third Night Marcilla, Spain, if heading south.

We took that route in late October 2017 and found it worked well, the drive each day was not too long and we didn't use tolls in France except to the N10 south of Bordeaux which is more or less impossible to avoid. All three places are excellent for winter stops. Saint-Étienne-en-Coglès is easily reached on day one even after a 4.00pm ferry arrival.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2019  ·  #10
When we went to Spain at Easter we took the cork Santander and it was only €30 more expensive than Rosalee Cherbourg, the fuel saved made it cheaper overall

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2019  ·  #11
Quote by the fat controller

When we went to Spain at Easter we took the cork Santander and it was only €30 more expensive than Rosalee Cherbourg, the fuel saved made it cheaper overall

That was a great price.
Doing 11 or 12litre/100km (23.5 to 25.6 MPG on old money) which is pretty average for a motorhome, at current prices the drive down through France would cost between €120 to €150, not including any tolls.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2019  ·  #12
Thanks for the input lads, I know Cork to Santander is the handiest route but with the prices quoted I think I'd save a couple of hundred Euro by going to Cherbourg with Stenna. My main concern would be the weather coming back up through France in November. Is it any worse than in Ireland at that time of year? Closed campsites don't bother me as I use Aires most of the time. I'm thinking of going inland to Spain and returning up along the Atlantic coast. Pity there's not more ferry competition to the continent.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2019  ·  #13
The weather should be OK coming up through France the short days and cold nights would be something to think about

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2019  ·  #14
Quote by eirebus

short days and cold nights would be something to think about

He has that covered Dave,
Plenty of red on board 😉😉

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2019  ·  #15
Weather should be better than Ireland. Not just closed campsites but businesses, pubs, restaurants etc can be closed but plenty still open. Go with the flow.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.