petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Brittany Ferries Cork

· 
Posted: 23.05.2019  ·  #1
Just heard that the pont aveen has run into trouble with hydraulics,there's an update on their website,they are not sure when they will return her back into service.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Brittany Ferries Cork

· 
Posted: 23.05.2019  ·  #2
She had a fire

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2019  ·  #3
They have had a lot of these issue's as of late....Good job they are not an Airline company o.O

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2019  ·  #4
This old lady of the seas has been on the go since 2004 and has had a long list of problems that seem to follow . She was called Bretagne 2 at first and on one of her many problems they could not get the bow doors open so they had to take her off the berth ,turn her around reberth and back everybody off.She sailed a few times like this before they fixed it. She has had smashed windows, engine room flooding, but still sails on into the sunset.

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2019  ·  #5
roadwretch
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2019  ·  #6
Just e mailed them to see will Cork Santander be back on next Friday. I'm booked on that one.Thats all I need now.It's impossible to get onto them by phone.Just get automated messages. Its peak times at the moment so there is not going to be spare spaces on any other ferry.Cork Santander ferry is getting shifted to cover for the Port Avon.Anorher big ferry mess up for this year and poor communication to booth

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Brittany Ferries Cork

· 
Posted: 24.05.2019  ·  #7
Quote by panda

They have had a lot of these issues as of late....Good job they are not an Airline company o.O

Why should they be treated any different to Airline companies :-/

lookaround
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2019  ·  #8
Hope it’s fixed for August or else it’ll be Costa del Kerry🤞

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2019  ·  #9
Quote by roadwretch

Just e mailed them to see will Cork Santander be back on next Friday. I'm booked on that one

Just tried their web to book for Fri and theres no sailing listed but their still taking bookings for their Ecno sailing on Wednesday.

roadwretch
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2019  ·  #10
I have sent 2 emails to reservations and their Cork office asking for information.I I have stated that I need an answer ASAP as I have an trel itinery and reservation in various campsites made that need dealing with. No reply has been sent. Absolutely useless customer service with this crowd. It seems to be the same pattern for anybody else that has any query.Being left in the long grass here. No telephone numbers operating. I will think twice before ever booking with them again.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2019  ·  #11
If you use Facebook and messenger message them. I had issues with a sailing and struggled to get an answer via phone and email but no problem with social media platform. Sad but true.
Quote by roadwretch

I have sent 2 emails to reservations and their Cork office asking for information.I I have stated that I need an answer ASAP as I have an trel itinery and reservation in various campsites made that need dealing with. No reply has been sent. Absolutely useless customer service with this crowd. It seems to be the same pattern for anybody else that has any query.Being left in the long grass here. No telephone numbers operating. I will think twice before ever booking with them again.

roadwretch
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2019  ·  #12
I will try via Facebook later.I saw that Fri 31st shows no sailing on their website which differs from their information on the Britanny ferry's website which states that the Port Avon will be back on the 31st and the Connemara is to be re routed to England from tonight's sailing in Cork.Not very nice for anybody that were due sail Cork to Santander today.

roadwretch
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2019  ·  #13
Tried to manage my booking and it said not sailing that date.contact them for alternative date to one of the e mail address that I am getting no response from.Its just a case of waiting for them to contact me on a que basis.I want to talk with someone on a phone but this service is completely shut down.Disgracefull.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2019  ·  #14
Sounds like JOE DUFFY needs a call 📞😁

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2019  ·  #15
Quote by sprinter

Quote by panda

They have had a lot of these issues as of late....Good job they are not an Airline company o.O

Why should they be treated any different to Airline companies :-/

I was eluding to the fact had it been an Airline, I wouldn't want a fire in the engine martin....at least on a boat there is some chance of surviving should anything drastic happen.......

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2019  ·  #16
Seems to be issues with that particular ferry.
We were delayed quite a few hours on our crossing with problems.
Many other reports of problems with it too.
Now this ?

As the old farmers here in Donegal would say;
“I think that old yolk is held together with binder twine” !!

roadwretch
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.05.2019  ·  #17
It's seems that the Port Aven needs one of its 4 engines replaced that is pencilled in to do sometime in 2020.Apparently it will take a couple of months.Lets hope that they don't let people book first and then take it out of commission at the last minute when it suits them. This is a company that has revenues of 440 million a year. There answer to the problem was to shut the doors of their Cork office today and hide.

roadwretch
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.05.2019  ·  #18
Numberous more e mails and telephone calls to UK offices and French offices who said that I have to contact the Cork office that has closed its doors.Still no response.All I want to know is the Cork Santander on 31/5/19 sailing.Online search for that date claim that they don't sail that date.I have a confirmation ticket clearly stating that date which was booked Christmas time.,They sail every Wednesday and Friday from Cork. Is anybody else booked for next Friday

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.05.2019  ·  #19
They sail every Wednesday and Friday from Cork.

I don't think it's possible to sail on both of those days as the ship wouldn't make it back for Friday if it sailed Wednesday, good luck chasing them up hope you get sorted

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.05.2019  ·  #20
Is it possible

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.05.2019  ·  #21
I have made changes online, but there was a charge. I also phoned within a couple of days of sailing , again they charged for it.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.05.2019  ·  #22
Quote by ColinM

I have made changes online, but there was a charge. I also phoned within a couple of days of sailing , again they charged for it.

cancel your booking

ColinM
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Rapido 655F
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.05.2019  ·  #23
Just checked my bookings. The first amendment was made via phone, I was charged 15euros. The second amendment was made online and I was charged 30 euros. Maybe Brittany.ie make charges where Brittany.co.uk don't . I know my owners abroad membership discount for Brittany ferries does not include Irish routes.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Brittany Ferries Cork

· 
Posted: 25.05.2019  ·  #24
Quote by roadwretch

Numerous more emails and telephone calls to UK offices and French offices who said that I have to contact the Cork office that has closed its doors.Still no response. All I want to know is the Cork Santander on 31/5/19 sailing. An online search for that date claims that they don't sail that date. I have a confirmation ticket clearly stating that date which was booked Christmas time.,They sail every Wednesday and Friday from Cork. Is anybody else booked for next Friday

you have a problem the boat is sailing next Wednesday 29th to Santander.and it returns, its next sailing is to Roscoff Monday 3rd June. The next sailing after that to Spain is Wednesday, June 5th.

It looks like until they have the Pont Aven is back in service they will only sail to Santander on Wednesdays and then do the Roscoff rout at weekends.

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.05.2019  ·  #25
Im thinking their website must be haywire at the moment,I was getting an economy booking out 29th May back 30 th May, Santander and back in one day,then when I proceeded to the next stage of the booking all of a sudden the sailings were no longer available.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.05.2019  ·  #26
Quote by ColinM
. Maybe Brittany.ie make charges where Brittany.co.uk don't .

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.05.2019  ·  #27
Quote by roadwretch

Numberous more e mails and telephone calls to UK offices and French offices who said that I have to contact the Cork office that has closed its doors.Still no response.All I want to know is the Cork Santander on 31/5/19 sailing.Online search for that date claim that they don't sail that date.I have a confirmation ticket clearly stating that date which was booked Christmas time.,They sail every Wednesday and Friday from Cork. Is anybody else booked for next Friday

Are you sure your departure date is the 31st ,would it be possible it's the 29th arriving 31st ?

roadwretch
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.05.2019  ·  #28
I am positive my sailing is on the 31st. The Connemara sails at 11am on Wednesdays
Cork to Santander and returns on a Friday ready to go again at 10.30 pm Friday night.Frudays ferry is a 2 night sail getting in Sunday morning 8am to suit truck drivers.
One of the UK emails returned to me saying that only the Cork office can ammend or check my query and as they said that they have attempted to contact Cork but they appear to have the office closed for the weekend.They have forwarded the query to Cork so it is a wait till Monday.
They closed up the Cork office all day Friday instead of dealing with customers. They stuck a note on the window with an e mail address which obviously been unmanned for the weekend.They probably don't know what is happening with the Port Aven timeframe of repairs.Hopefully for people it would drag out and destroy the holiday season for alot of folks this Summer.
I got away for the night down to the wooden boats festival in Baltimore West Cork.Good craic and a lovely spot.Off out now to watch a few old sailing boats.They are a wonderful sight with all the rigging up and the red sails.There is some beauties here in lovely nick. They are a lovely step back in time.

roadwretch
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.05.2019  ·  #29
Just got a text telling me my ferry has been cancelled.Contact Cork office by email for a refund(closed shop again today.Rebooked for Jun 5th Weds. I had to shorten my planned Spain and Portugal trip to 11 days but all holidays are booked etc..
I can only hope this next date is not in line for the chop.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.05.2019  ·  #30
Bad news, especially when your time is tied to your holiday time off.
Let’s hope your sailing gets away this time....... keep us updated.

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.05.2019  ·  #31
Quote by roadwretch

Just got a text telling me my ferry has been cancelled.Contact Cork office by email for a refund(closed shop again today.Rebooked for Jun 5th Weds. I had to shorten my planned Spain and Portugal trip to 11 days but all holidays are booked etc..
I can only hope this next date is not in line for the chop.

That really is a bummer :( We got those dreaded txt messages ourselves when going last xmas.....literally as we were arriving into Cobh.... Hope your next sailing date all goes to plan.

AdiH
AdiH
My Motorhome: Challenger
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.05.2019  ·  #32
O no sorry to hear that, very annoying especially when it means having to cut your holiday short.

We're sailing to Santander on Wednesday 17th July. Hopefully all the issues will be sorted by then.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.05.2019  ·  #33
Mine's cancelled too.
Got text and email the morning offering refund or later booking if available. Seriously pi@@ed off. A significant part of my trip was to be in Normandy for the 75th. Anniversary Commemorations of the D-Day landings.

A few years ago when IF had issues with the late return of their ferry in February after its annual overhaul in addition to a later sailing or full refund they gave me a third option of a landbridge crossing plus, IIRC, €100 to cover the diesel. BF should offer the same as a choice.

roadwretch
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.05.2019  ·  #34
They have offered nothing or no option.Get a refund and find your own alternative.They have taken my ferry to minimize their loses and swapped it to another route.Its nothing about looking after stranded people elsewhere as they are leaving others stranded behind them.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.05.2019  ·  #35
According to paragraph (13) of the REGULATION (EU) No 1177/2010 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 24 November 2010 concerning the rights of passengers when travelling by sea and inland waterway and amending Regulation (EC) No 2006/2004

Inconvenience experienced by passengers due to the cancellation or long delay of their journey should be reduced. To this end, passengers should be adequately looked after and should be able to cancel their journey and have their tickets reimbursed or to obtain re-routing under satisfactory conditions

The situation is also covered in detail in Article 18 of the above Regulations
Offering me a sailing at some future date which is not acceptable to me IS NOT providing me with re-routing under satisfactory conditions

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.05.2019  ·  #36
I think the BIG word there is “or”
Refund “or” alternative sailing

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.05.2019  ·  #37
On their website it now says update 27th May. bookings are being blocked between now and the 7th June. I would be looking for an alternative ferry operator,and ask them to reimburse you and also cover your onward travel costs,(which is mentioned in the FAQ on their site) see the fifth post on this topic for the link.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.05.2019  ·  #38
My goodness, what a debacle.
Making me evaluate if we will book with them for later in the year at all, so many issues and ongoing problems with this ferry on this route ...... there’s a high risk of delays or no sailing at all.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.05.2019  ·  #39
The politics of the ferry industry at its best.
Irish Ferries have been moving the french bound freight for Brittany Ferries for the last 3 weeks, since the Point Avon fire.
However, Irish Ferries have no more spare capacity as this weekend marks the start of the tourist season to France.
This has left Brittany Ferries, no option but to pull the commera onto the Cork / Roscoff route or lose its freight contracts to other operators.
It's not much good to the guys who have booked to Santander.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.05.2019  ·  #40
Quote by Daffysparks

I think the BIG word there is “or”
Refund “or” alternative sailing

It couldn't be 'and', that wouldn't make sense.
The choice is to be offered to the traveller, it's not to the ferry company if it was it would mean they could always just offer a refund and not be obligated to arrange any transport to stranded travellers.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.