Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Paying Irish motorway tolls.

· 
Posted: 17.05.2019  ·  #1
Which is the best way to pay motorway tolls?
At the Booth?
Using a toll tag? Which one is the best value?
Using video, number plate recognition technology?

AdrianQ
My Motorhome: Knaus Suntraveller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Maxi 2.8
Subject:

Re: Paying Irish motorway tolls.

· 
Posted: 17.05.2019  ·  #2
Hello.
Pay at the booth, my heart is broken on the enfield toll being charged at the wrong commercial rate,
ya need to press the help button to get the right camper rate.
If i had the e-flow tag you'd be rightly done over.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.05.2019  ·  #3
I use video number plate technology on M50. For car commercial, Motorhome etc. have never been mischarged

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Paying Irish motorway tolls.

· 
Posted: 17.05.2019  ·  #4
Quote by AdrianQ

Hello.
Pay at the booth, my heart is broken on the enfield toll being charged at the wrong commercial rate,
ya need to press the help button to get the right camper rate.
If i had the e-flow tag you'd be rightly done over.

The software the use is out of date since before 2014 and the staff in the office and the Booth don't seen to work for the same company.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2019  ·  #5
I opted for the eflow tag 4 years ago.
Prior to it, I had more hardship than a motorway was worth.
Only once did eflow tried to over charge me but a pointed email sorted that out pretty quickly.
My current tag is acting the maggot at the moment and I am wondering about the best market value out there at the moment.

Sun Living
My Motorhome: Adria Sun Living S42SL
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 150 Multi Jet
Subject:

Tag I find is the best

· 
Posted: 18.05.2019  ·  #6
had a Tag for over 10 years on the car and the Motorhome. Never been overcharged, hassle free.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2019  ·  #7
Eflow video account for us, 4 vehicles on it and works well and never overcharged although we don’t use the M50 that much.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2019  ·  #8
If your MH is LHD a toll tag is invaluable

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2019  ·  #9
I have an account for the M50 but I have to pay on the other motorways. I was wondering what’s the best tag for me to get being a light user? Anyone got any Suggestions?

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2019  ·  #10
My eflow tag has a €1 per month charge with the tolls added according to use.
With us being based in Portlaoise, the M7 toll is used alot.
Our mh is a LHD and with kids on board, the ashtray change does mysteriously disappear.

sootyrex
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Elddis
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.05.2019  ·  #11
Eflow tag is best. Many tolls unstaffed at night and I was getting hit with a high charge before I got the tag

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.05.2019  ·  #12
The m50 is a rip off I proved that ,they tried to get a second payment of me for the same journey they were trying it on with the wrong person once I told them that I had got the psni and Garda involved in there scam never heard another thing

davidrory

Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.05.2019  ·  #13
I use a video number plate systme with eflow for m50 only. I have an eflow tag for the car. If you have coachbuilt MH then a tag should be no problem but if you have a van conversion, then beware, you will have problems being charged the commercial rate when your rate is changed after you pass a toll. A tag is not worth the hassle for a van based camper.
Only the m50 has number plate recognation so other toll operators use a picture taken as you pass through to check the rate your tag should be. If they and if they see a van ( and they do not look very carefully) - they will charge comercial rate. Even if your van is registered as a Motor Home. They always asumme you are cheating.

scotgard
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Adria Twin
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato Maxi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.05.2019  ·  #14
I've been on a tag account for over a year now ( from a video a/c on M50) with a van conversion. I've never been overcharged and have been through all the various toll points in the country. The instructions when I received the tags were very specific ( I have a tag for the camper and a car ) so I presume the tags are vehicle specific and therefor I am charged camper rate each time. My van is a 6m Ducato.

davidrory

Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.05.2019  ·  #15
I made hash of my last post - in a hurry!
I am glad 'scotgard' is not having issues with his tag. I guess his van is more easily seen to be a motor-home by the toll booth cameras. Mine should be, but it wasn't. I suspect because of it's bright red van like colour and a very cursory glance by those checking the images.
As I went through the tolls, my tag would beeb and the barrier would lift. The change to the bill only happened long after I used the toll booths.

I spent a whole year with a tag on my van and was constantly battling with toll operators actually changing my classification with the tag provider.
(No problems on the M50 because they use vehicle recognition that reads my vehicle correctly as a MH. )

I kept getting bills that showed the class being changed to: (commercial up to 3,5t) So I was charged 3.90 instead of 1.90.
The tag provider got so pissed off with me complaining about them changing my class; they canceled the tag.
I did get my money back after notifying the various toll operators of their mistakes - but they all said they could not be sure it would never happen again.
I contacted the Roads Authority and they disowned the issue; saying : "The MH rate being charged by the various toll operators was a voluntary agreement by them and not a regulated rate."
Too many complaints and they might withdraw the rate and charge all Motor-homes and campers as commercials based on weight!

Conclusion: A tag is great for a Coachbuilt MH or one that will never be mistaken for a commercial van in front view photos taken at booths.
I gave up complaining and now pay cash at all tolls except the M50, where I use the video system with Eflow and get charged along with my Eflow tag account for the car.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.