Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

Re: Free speech or something more sinister

· 
Posted: 16.05.2019  ·  #4
The problem as i see it is this.
Social media has opened up a whole new forum where people can discuss every issue, not just with the lad beside them having a pint in the pub, but with a global audience. Now, what i think about our government can be broadcast worldwide instead of between 2 or 3 people chatting. Multiply this by a thousand people expressing negative views about your government and they get very nervous. The only people that stand to lose from social media are the people that are trying to censure it. And they will use any excuse to do this, on our behalf, for our protection.
And who are the people pushing these agendas? The media on behalf of their paymasters. Look at Denis o brien controlling most of the irish media, and paying backhanders to government TDs.
Most of the corruption that comes out now is being exposed on social media.
And how do they try and undermine it? Fake news, social media is harmful, people are being offended. Bull.
Free speech or something more sinister isnt the real agenda. The real agenda is to make people doubt what they are being told by non mainstream media. And this isnt always a bad thing. If people really want the truth, they have to investigate and check stories.
Unfortuneatley most people are too lazy and prefer to just take the mainstream medias drivel as gospel.
But thats just my opinion.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2019  ·  #5
I’m not sure I would agree with all that @ROBANDSUE . I take your point about mainstream media. Sure, they need to be watched. But the only people that stand to be hurt by social media is mainstream media and governments, no I don’t agree.

Snowden showed the world that the NSA were spying on everybody through there social media accounts. Cambridge Analytica target millions of undecided Brexit voters with ads promoting anti-immigrant , anti-EU bias through Facebook. Had the ‘No’ campaign hired CA first, no doubt it would have gone the other way.

Social media impacts us all negatively IMO.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2019  ·  #6
@'The Rambler' thats basically what i was saying.
Snowden was working against government vested interests and was targeted, because that definitely wasnt in the governments interest for us to know.
CA was working on behalf of government vested interests to influence a vote.
Whos the losers here? The people, i dont think so.
As far as Brexit goes, regardless of what was put out by CA I reckon the majority would have voted leave anyway, thats the nature of the british voter i think. It was a small majority, and I think it would probably be overturned in another referendum because people are afraid of what is actually going to happen when they leave.
As far as 'target millions of undecided Brexit voters with ads promoting anti-immigrant , anti-EU bias', probably fact based fears as far as the former is concerned, and i,m anti eu too so i would agree with that.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2019  ·  #7
Social media allows people to say sh*t with no recourse. All keyboard warriors can not be brought to court, it's not moderated for instance, like this forum, people say and do what they want to a certain extent, it is out of control and shows no inroads to stopping it's bullshit regulation of none.

It needs regulated last decade not in the next decade, zuckerberg (and others) needs brought down for his ruination of communities and the internet. But when the British Government can demand him in court and he doesn't show, what hope is there of that?

Free speech is now hate speech because of it, I absolutely love the internet, the freedom it has given us, the information it has given us, the secrecy it has allowed us to know, but when you give millions a worldwide audience built without any work, built without any knowledge of the internet (facebook groups and pages), built without any regard for other business, are able to steal intellectual property then it needs regulated and it needs regulated now. I personally have suffered at the hands of intellectual property theft for the last 7 years on and off, more recently: more so. I don't have the means to take those responsible to court so they sit and type away their vitriol without any justice. They are as bad as someone breaking into your house.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2019  ·  #8
@Ally How exactly is free speech hate speech? Thats just buying into what the mainstream media want you to believe. Are you saying that you are for censuring social media?

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2019  ·  #9
I’m not sure we are saying the very same thing @ROBANDSUE although I’m sure we agree on a lot. Snowden was a hero I’m sure you agree. He did point out what the government was doing, that’s true. But the social media corporations gave the NSA what they wanted. Back doors into their systems to allow them eavesdrop. They do not give a damn about our privacy.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2019  ·  #10
@'The Rambler' totally agree on the privacy issue. But if that was a concern to social media users, they wouldnt use it.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2019  ·  #11
Quote by ROBANDSUE

@'The Rambler' totally agree on the privacy issue. But if that was a concern to social media users, they wouldnt use it.

That pretty much hits the nail on the head alright 🔨

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2019  ·  #12
LOL, me and mainstream media, now that's a story.

I would read my post again. Free speech has become hate speech as there is no regulation. You cannot say whatever you want about a person without somehow backing up your evidence, you can also not character assasinate someone without truth and evidence.
Unfortunately free speech has become a tool for exactly that too happen on social media as there is no regulation.

Has free speech become hate speech, was the question.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2019  ·  #13
"I would read my post again" why? I read it perfectly the first time. :*
"Has free speech become hate speech, was the question." I read that perfectly the first time too. ;-)
Heres where i think you are confused.
Free speech and hate speech are 2 different things. The people like Varadkar and co that put the argument forward that they are one and the same are usually the same people that have been criticised on social media and now want it regulated so people cant criticise them.
Character assassination if untrue is hate speech and spreading lies is libel, leaving the publisher open to legal action.
If however, I call out someone on something they done, and I am correct, thats free speech. But the person that is the subject wont see it like that. They will call it hate speech, but they would be wrong. They mightnt like it, but thats free speech.
You cant just take a whole chunk of social media comments and label them hate speech. Thats not the way it works. You seperate the two and leave people their right to free speech. But if you are in the spotlight and you know you are going to get negative comments about your policies if you are governmental for instance, and you know you can stop it by paying media barons back handers, you will.
So the media adapt a policy whereby they label everything hate speech, (unless they print it) and people start to get offended if they are called a tw*t. And then your civil rights are slowly eroded until you cant say boo and everybody wonders how we got to the point where its illegal to question your government.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2019  ·  #14
Not confused at all. I never read the article either. Varadakar? What's he got to do with it? 🤨
😛

We are talking about to different things. I'll explain later when on a real computer.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2019  ·  #15
I was using Varadkar as an example of people in power manipulating the mainstream media, as he has done.
no need to explain, i think i have a handle on it :happy:

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2019  ·  #16
People are using free speech as hate speech, I don't wish free speech regulated, we should be allowed to say what we wish. But we need regulation where people are abusing their right of saying whatever the hell they want and calling it free speech. You can't say whatever you want about someone, you need to back it up with evidence, which is what I said above.

So yes, what you said on post 13 I agree with (now I'm sat down I can read it better.. can you stop replying when I am fitting a toilet?) Pity about those that can't differentiate between them both.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2019  ·  #17
i even used emojis :lol:

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2019  ·  #18
Quote by ROBANDSUE

i even used emojis :lol:

lol

:ninja:

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2019  ·  #19
Here are some examples where the two gel together wrongly and done in the name of free speech, they are allowed to go on for years before they are stopped

Tommy Robinson
Britain First
EDL
Saoradh

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.05.2019  ·  #20
Since I started the post, I will throw in my thoughts.
In its simplest form social media is a modern form of communication between a group of people regardless of the size of the group.
As a kid growing up, my parents instilled a set of manners into me.
Always say hello, treat people wirh respect, etc.
Everyone is entitled to their point of view, so long as they respect the laws of their country of residence.
However with false user names, fake IP accounts,etc, some social media users, believe that they can operate outside of the law.
As a parent of 2 kids who are starting to explore social media, it's a bloody mess.
No regard for other people's opinion, spamming of comments and other crap, not worth mentioning.
Most people do not realise the consequences of their typing.
Leaving aside the goings on of politics, where are the good manners that we are thought to use?
Using the term "hate speech" is wrong because to incite hate is a serious crime.
Better to describe these actions are from ill tempered and disrespectful people.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.