CVRT

lookaround
Craic'er
Subject:

CVRT

· 
Posted: 14.05.2019  ·  #1
Hello

I wonder with all the members' experience in CVRT testing has anyone come across this issue.

My Motorhome was first registered on the 27th of March 2009.

When I had it tested 2 years ago (09/03/2017) it was passed valid until the 19th of March 2019.

This year because of things outside and within my control - including a failed test, a missed re-test due to a banjaxed clutch and gear box issues, I only eventually got it passed on the 13th of May.

The Pass Statement from the Garage now says that my next test is due by the 19th of March next year as the van is now 10 years old, even though it wasn't 10 years old on the date that the test should have been done.

I wonder is it worth appealing to try to get it extended to 2 years as the test was due within the 10 year limit - 27/03/2009 to 19/03/2019.

Will the RSA take the May date of the test as their method of calculating the 10 year limit even though they have back dated it to the 19th of March.

Any help would be appreciated.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

Re: CVRT

· 
Posted: 14.05.2019  ·  #2
I dont know the answer, but i have a feeling the rsa will stick to the yearly test. I might be wrong, and im sure someone here will know the answer, but its all about money with these shower.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.05.2019  ·  #3
My thoughts are, the anniversary of test date is from date of registration.
A two year test was never going to be given once the 10th anniversary of registration falls within that test period.
By all means take your case to the RSA and let us know as to how you have got on with them.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

CVRT

· 
Posted: 14.05.2019  ·  #4
Quote by lookaround

Hello

I wonder with all the members' experience in CVRT testing has anyone come across this issue.

When I had it tested 2 years ago (09/03/2017) it was passed valid until the 19th of March 2019.

This year because of things outside and within my control - including a failed test, a missed re-test due to a banjaxed clutch and gearbox issues, I only eventually got it passed on the 13th of May.

The Pass Statement from the Garage now says that my next test is due by the 19th of March next year as the van is now 10 years old, even though it wasn't 10 years old on the date that the test should have been done.

I wonder is it worth appealing to try to get it extended to 2 years as the test was due within the 10-year limit - 27/03/2009 to 19/03/2019.

Will the RSA take the May date of the test as their method of calculating the 10-year limit even though they have backdated it to the 19th of March.

your van is due it 11th-year test on 27 March 2020. I don't think they would have given you a two-year test even if you had got it done on the 19 March I've never heard of then extending past the 10 years.
There are a few things wrong with the dates, the first one you should not have accepted the date of 19 March.
I can see why you think it's not fair to backdate the test from 13th May too 19th March and then forward date it to catch you in the 10-year. They appear to be having it both ways but then its revenue for the state what else do you expect.
send them an Email it would be interesting to see their reply. stranger things have happened.but if they give you two years extra, go out and buy a lottery ticket

lookaround
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.05.2019  ·  #5
I see what you are saying. The fact that the van is 10 years old is the deciding factor here and not that fact that the test was within the 10 year period.

Quote by sprinter

Quote by lookaround

Hello

This year because of things outside and within my control - including a failed test, a missed re-test due to a banjaxed clutch and gearbox issues, I only eventually got it passed on the 13th of May.

I wonder is it worth appealing to try to get it extended to 2 years as the test was due within the 10-year limit - 27/03/2009 to 19/03/2019.

Will the RSA take the May date of the test as their method of calculating the 10-year limit even though they have backdated it to the 19th of March.

your van is due it 11th-year test on 27 March 2020. I don't think they would have given you a two-year test even if you had got it done on the 19 March I've never heard of then extending past the 10 years.
There are a few things wrong with the dates, the first one you should not have accepted the date of 19 March.
I can see why you think it's not fair to backdate the test from 13th May too 19th March and then forward date it to catch you in the 10-year. They appear to be having it both ways but then its revenue for the state what else do you expect.
send them an Email it would be interesting to see their reply. stranger things have happened.but if they give you two years extra, go out and buy a lottery ticket

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.05.2019  ·  #6
I think if you apply in good time before due date ( it can take longer to get a cvrt appointment date than you would expect.)
Ours was passed month before 10th year, and we have 2 years ( you might lose a few weeks but gain by extra year).

We had it checked over the other day for our trip to France, no problems, only needed 2 exhaust rubbers as easier to fit up on a ramp

TippOff
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.05.2019  ·  #7
Our 09 passed today and we got 2 years. Date of 1st registration (in UK) was 01 July 2009. Date of 1st Licensing in IRL was 04 Aug 2010.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

CVRT

· 
Posted: 14.05.2019  ·  #8
Quote by TippOff

Our 09 passed today and we got 2 years. Date of 1st registration (in UK) was 01 July 2009. Date of 1st Licensing in IRL was 04 Aug 2010.

" R&N
Ours was passed month before 10th year, and we have 2 years ( you might lose a few weeks but gain by extra year). "

There is two who got an extra 2 years. it makes the whole 10-year thing a Joke.

So, lookaround go for it and let us know how you get on.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.05.2019  ·  #9
You're being caught both ways, nothing unusual there with The RSA who have a knack of treating us motorhomers like second class citizens.

To my mind, if they are backdating the test date to its original due date which was within the 10 years they should have given you a 2 year cert, but I wouldn't waste the price of a phone call to them.

lookaround
Craic'er
Subject:

RSA reply

· 
Posted: 17.05.2019  ·  #10
This is the reply from the RSA - it was my own fault at the end of the day I suppose.

"Your vehicle was over ten years old when you tested it on 2 April 2019. A cert only issues when a vehicle passes a test and your vehicle was over ten years old when it passes its test. As previously stated, when a vehicle is presented late for test this will be reflected in the certificate of roadworthiness. The only time a 12 or 24 month cert will issue is when the vehicle is presented for test in line with its test anniversary date. There is no exception to this rule.

While I empathise with your situation, the Road Safety Authority are not in a position to issue a revised cert"

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.05.2019  ·  #11
Booked in ours last year before its 10th anniversary but couldn't take it due to the bad snow at the time so it was tested after its 10th anniversary and still got a two year cert

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.05.2019  ·  #12
I was talking to a cvrt tester today and asked his opinion on this topic.
By the exact letter of the regulations, a 2 year cert shouldn't be issued after the 8th anniversary of registration.
However since your disc and cert is issued from the RSA based on the pass report by the cvrt test centre, most testers tick the box for a 2 year disc, up until the 10th anniversary.
The final check is done by the RSA staff who may forget to check anniversary dates.
This how some folk have received a 2 year disc, while the wagon is 9 years old.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.05.2019  ·  #13
Quote by Thorn123

I was talking to a cvrt tester today and asked his opinion on this topic.
By the exact letter of the regulations, a 2 year cert shouldn't be issued after the 8th anniversary of registration.
However since your disc and cert is issued from the RSA based on the pass report by the cvrt test centre, most testers tick the box for a 2 year disc, up until the 10th anniversary.
The final check is done by the RSA staff who may forget to check anniversary dates.
This how some folk have received a 2 year disc, while the wagon is 9 years old.

The testers opinion is based on ignorance of the rules which state clearly 'motor caravans which have reached the tenth anniversary of first registration will be issued with a twelve months certificate' so by default if it hasn't reached the tenth anniversary a twenty four months certificate should be issued.

TippOff
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.05.2019  ·  #14
That's how we got 2 years so

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.