bearings

Mozzie
Craic'er
Subject:

bearings

· 
Posted: 01.05.2019  ·  #1
Has anyone had issues with bearings going on Ducato?
It's looking like an expensive fix for both front right and left.
Also, is replacing the clutch expensive??

Oh to win the lotto and buy a new van instead of an old one with with non stop problems :(

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: bearings

· 
Posted: 01.05.2019  ·  #2
Yes, put in both sides in mine as a precautionary measure.
They are less expensive than many vehicles.
Wheel bearings on EBay have them less than £20 per side.

Also, worth replacing the top roller bearings when you have the stub off the van, again they’re not expensive.
The wheel bearing replacement isn’t a big job, it does however need a hydraulic press with a high pressure rating, mine is 50 ton and they let quite a shot when they released...... our smaller 20 ton one couldn’t budge them.

Again, clutch no more expensive than run of the mill. A good quality Lux clutch is about £150, see HERE

All of the above is plus labour of course.... but any good garage should sort all in a day.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.05.2019  ·  #3
Yes the parts seem readily available. I’m getting a steering rack and sump put into an older Ducato at the moment. The trick is getting someone with a lift big enough or shed roof high enough to lift a big over an coachbuilt to get under them if needed. I look at everything I get replaced means that’s one less thing to break or give up out on the road somewhere though and most of that which is replaced has been on it from new anyway. I’ve had to get wheel bearings in plenty of cars I have had younger than my van.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.05.2019  ·  #4
OE wheel bearings may not be the best, usually bought on price from the cheapest supplier.
If I were, or when I am, replacing mine I'd go for SKF, MOOG, FAG or one of the other premium quality manufacturers.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

bearings

· 
Posted: 01.05.2019  ·  #5
Quote by Mozzie

Has anyone had issues with bearings going on Ducato?
It's looking like an expensive fix for both front right and left.
Also, is replacing the clutch expensive??

Oh to win the lotto and buy a new van instead of an old one with with non stop problems :(

Mairead. What area are you in? someone can steer you to a reasonable outfit to do the work.

Lots of people have reliable Guy's to their work,if you let us know what part of the country you are in.
This also applies to anyone who may read this post , knowing where you are help's us help you.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.05.2019  ·  #6
I replaced one of the front bearings in 2017. Got it from eemotorspares on EBay for £26. There are 2 different bearings. My Ducato is the 18 version but when I give my registration number it comes up as 14 model. I spoke with them and ordered both. Turned out it was the lager one so sent the other back

Mozzie
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.05.2019  ·  #7
Thanks guys. We have found a very good mechanic who can do all the work. He actually rang back last night to confirm it wouldn't be too expensive for the bearings. And clutch is ok but should be looked at in the future. He basically said that it was a good van but hadn't been looked after for the last couple of years. So hopefully it'll come together. Shame to miss out on the bank holiday weekend away!

Mozzie
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.05.2019  ·  #8
So this seems an excessive quote, from the replies you guys have given me...

The wheel bearings will work out at 337e a side so 674e for both (parts & labour).

I'm going to go for a little cry now...

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.05.2019  ·  #9
How do you

Mozzie
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.05.2019  ·  #10
Quote by witzend

How do you know that the wheel bearings need replacing unusual for both to go at once changing both because one is noisy isn't necessary as unless you know the history of the van the other may have already been done

It is based on the noise from the front. I wasn't driving so it was my husband and the mechanic that came up with the both sides... I'll get back onto them and see. Thanks for this tip

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.05.2019  ·  #11
I paid €75 for lhs bearing for my 2002 Ducato from.central bearing in Galway 2 years back,

Before you do anything check the tyres as a dodgy or worn tyre will give similar sound to a bearing believe it or not,

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.05.2019  ·  #12
Mozzie, I would get another quote, a couple of hours at the most would fit it and as Witzend says both don’t normally go at the same time

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

bearings

· 
Posted: 02.05.2019  ·  #13
Mairead. What area are you in? someone can steer you to a reasonable outfit to do the work.

Lots of people have reliable Guy's to their work if you let us know what part of the country you are in.

This also applies to anyone who may read this post, knowing where you are help's us help you.

Mozzie
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.05.2019  ·  #14
Quote by sprinter

Lots of people have reliable Guy's to their work if you let us know what part of the country you are in.

This also applies to anyone who may read this post, knowing where you are help's us help you.

Thanks. I'm in Sligo

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.