kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

Engine Heat Exchanger Pipework

· 
Posted: 17.04.2019  ·  #1
Just back from MOT, passed Ok but the inspector called me into the pit to have a look below the van.

I have an engine heat exchanger associated with the Alde heating system such that the central heating in the habitation area is heated while the engine is running. The hose pipes are teed into the hose pipes to the cab heater and are run under the van to the heater exchanger which is located just in front of the rear wheel.

The pipes are routed from the back top of the engine downwards and run below the floor of the cab and are then threaded through the chassis legs with miminal support. They had sagged in several places and in one location were lying on top of the exhaust pipe where they have been quite badly burned. The outer insulating sleeve is completely missing for about 200mm and the hose itself is also damaged. There is also some chaf damage at the back of the engine.

The van is too low to the ground to work on it so I’ll have to take it somewhere where there is a hydraulic ramp to get them fixed. I think I’ve got it in time to just need re supports.

Just a heads up in case anyone may have the same setup.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

Re: Engine Heat Exchanger Pipework

· 
Posted: 18.04.2019  ·  #2
Quote by kabundi

Just back from MOT, passed Ok but the inspector called me into the pit to have a look below the van.

I have an engine heat exchanger associated with the Alde heating system such that the central heating in the habitation area is heated while the engine is running. The hose pipes are teed into the hose pipes to the cab heater and are run under the van to the heater exchanger which is located just in front of the rear wheel.

The pipes are routed from the back top of the engine downwards and run below the floor of the cab and are then threaded through the chassis legs with miminal support. They had sagged in several places and in one location were lying on top of the exhaust pipe where they have been quite badly burned. The outer insulating sleeve is completely missing for about 200mm and the hose itself is also damaged. There is also some chaf damage at the back of the engine.

The van is too low to the ground to work on it so I’ll have to take it somewhere where there is a hydraulic ramp to get them fixed. I think I’ve got it in time to just need re supports.

Just a heads up in case anyone may have the same setup.

That was a good catch by the guy inspecting the van. Time for some zip-tie creativity!

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

Re: Engine Heat Exchanger Pipework

· 
Posted: 18.04.2019  ·  #3
Quote by Blag

That was a good catch by the guy inspecting the van. Time for some zip-tie creativity!

Yeah it was a good catch. He was genuinely concerned that I would get it attended to. No suggestion at all that it was an MOT issue.

Anyway the son got it booked in for tomorrow morning at the place that does his fleet repairs so should have it sorted by lunchtime. That will allow us to get away later in the day without the concern that the hoses might leak.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.