very dodgy piping

Mozzie
Craic'er
Subject:

very dodgy piping

· 
Posted: 10.04.2019  ·  #1
Found this last night, very stressed.
It is difficult to see in the pic but basically a tube / pipe is sticking out of the bottom of the moho and it is cut. Water came out of the open end when I ran water in the van sinks. And the other end of the tube / pipe has been tied up with a cable tie. It is approx under where the boiler is. I didn't have any heating on. Clearly previous owner did it. I don't know what it is so don't know what to google to look into getting it fixed. Any ideas? Everything else is working perfectly as far as we can see.

So bloody stressed over it. Any help greatly appreciated

johnnymac
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Adria 660SP
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

Re: very dodgy piping

· 
Posted: 10.04.2019  ·  #2
I think that it's the frost dump valve for the boiler. You'll have to close the valve and it should all be back to normal. Google Truma Frost Dump Valve.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

on very dodgy piping

· 
Posted: 10.04.2019  ·  #3
Quote by Mozzie

It is difficult to see in the pic but basically a tube / pipe is sticking out of the bottom of the moho and it is cut. Water came out of the open end when I ran water in the van sinks. And the other end of the tube / pipe has been tied up with a cable tie. It is approx under where the boiler is. I didn't have any heating on. Clearly previous owner did it. I don't know what it is so don't know what to google to look into getting it fixed. Any ideas? Everything else is working perfectly as far as we can see.

You would need to get a look under the boiler, the one with the cable tye could be from the manual drain c**k the other could be from an overpressure valve or overflow,
Did the water come out when the tap was running or when it was switched off?
are the same size, could they have been connected together.
how old is the van/boiler what make

Mozzie
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2019  ·  #4
Quote by sprinter

Quote by Mozzie

You would need to get a look under the boiler, the one with the cable tye could be from the manual drain c**k the other could be from an overpressure valve or overflow,
Did the water come out when the tap was running or when it was switched off?
are the same size, could they have been connected together.
how old is the van/boiler what make

Frrom what we can see, they look like two different diameters. So the open one is narrower and it flowed water when I ran water from the sinks. It ran out while I was running the tap, rather than afterwards, as far as I can tell. The boiler was not on at all. The van is a 98 Hymer Camp Swing. Guessing the boiler is the same age.
I'm totally confused :(

Mozzie
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2019  ·  #5
Quote by johnnymac

I think that it's the frost dump valve for the boiler. You'll have to close the valve and it should all be back to normal. Google Truma Frost Dump Valve.

Thanks Johnnymac - the more I read, the more confused I become!

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2019  ·  #6
sounds like the dump valve in the boiler. when the tempreture in your habitaion area falls below a certain degree, the dump valve opens and gets rid of the water in your boiler to prevent it freezing. should be a spindle like valve at the front of your boiler, at least on mine it is, that you pull up and it closes the valve.

Mozzie
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2019  ·  #7
Quote by ROBANDSUE

sounds like the dump valve in the boiler. when the tempreture in your habitaion area falls below a certain degree, the dump valve opens and gets rid of the water in your boiler to prevent it freezing. should be a spindle like valve at the front of your boiler, at least on mine it is, that you pull up and it closes the valve.

I'll check that this evening, thanks. It does seem a big coincidence that it would start pouring out when the kitchen tap was on.
Stupid question but how do I fill the boiler again with water? I thought it was a self sealed unit.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2019  ·  #8
Look out for a clothes peg near the boiler somewhere too just in case. That is usually used to stop the boiler dumping water rather than a cable tie. I discovered that one day in my own 1998 MH when I dislodged it by accident in the garage and wondered where all this water was coming from.

To refill the boiler make sure you have water on board and just run your hot tap until air stops coming out of the tap. Boiler is it a closed system. Like your own hot tank at home when you use hot water it is topped up again with fresh cold water. Open all of your taps and run them to get all of the air out. You will probably hear your boiler refilling.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2019  ·  #9
One is the frost dump valve the other is from the pressure valve on the side of the boiler. The thicker tube is the dump valve. On my last van I had this issue and water was coming out of the thinner tube (pressure valve) when the tap opened and it was because the pressure valve had lost the ball bearing type thing inside it. It cost about £5 to replace it and an hour or so of my time.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2019  ·  #10
The thinner pipe could be from the sluice valve for draining the water system. Very often, people leave this open over the winter months.
The water pump is only activated when you turn on the tap.
After you close the tap, the pump stops after it has pressurized the system.
The pressure relief valve is a safety feature, which only releases water should your pump malfunctions and over pressurized. This stops your pipes from bursting.
Also as the hot water expands in the boiler, the safety valve may drip a little. Again this is relieving the excess pressure in the system.

The yellow lever in the photo is my sluice valve in the closed position. Flip it over and it is open and if I turn on a tap when open, the water is dumped.
I hope that this helps.
Malcolm

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.04.2019  ·  #11
Same happened with mine yesterday. No water at tap but a puddle underneath. Must have been cold last few nights.
Simple reset. Pull the centre of the valve upwards. We cover ours so nothing floating around will cause it to trip.

Mozzie
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2019  ·  #12
Thank you all so much. My head is exploding with all the new information over the past few weeks!
We tried to replicate the problem last night but only a few drops came out, nothing like the previous night. Going to have a nose around those pipes in the boiler closet. I didn't know which bit was the lever, so thanks for the pic - I know what to look for now.

The pipe with the cable tie on it - do I need to take it off to allow it to output water when necessary to avoid damaging the boiler?

Thanks again

dealgan
Love's the Craic
Homepage: declangrady.com
My Motorhome: 2006 Knaus Sun Traveller 650LG-RM
Base Vehicle: Renault Master dci140
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2019  ·  #13
On mine, the pull-up valve will only stay on if there is power. If your electrics are switched off it won't stay up when you pull it up. I think if your heating system has power, even if thermostat is turned down to nothing, it won't release that valve.

Good luck.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

very dodgy piping

· 
Posted: 11.04.2019  ·  #14
Quote by Mozzie

The pipe with the cable tie on it - do I need to take it off to allow it to output water when necessary to avoid damaging the boiler?

Thanks again

You should find what the pipes are connected to before you disconnect anything.
See if you can post s few photos of where they ate connected to.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.