Buying Camper from UK

Evie77
Subject:

Buying Camper from UK

· 
Posted: 03.04.2019  ·  #1
Hello Everyone,
I am new here! I am in the process of looking for a starter Camper van as its always been a dream of ours. I have found one that we can afford in the UK from a dealer called Protean Motor homes. Firstly has anyone has any dealings with them?
Also how does VRT work. When I asked about VRT they said that it was 0% as they deal with shipping camper vans to Ireland. I dont think from what I read that this could be true. I obviously have to pay VRT here. They would deliver it to Dublin for me so would have to go through the port entry. Also if I pay a dealership a certain amount of money how will I know how much VRT I will pay. I have read stories of the tax office here in Ireland saying that the camper is worth a lot more and getting landed with a big bill on this side. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to your replies.
Thank you,
Eavan

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Re: Buying Camper from UK

· 
Posted: 03.04.2019  ·  #2
Quote by Evie77

Hello Everyone,
I am new here! I am in the process of looking for a starter Camper van as its always been a dream of ours. I have found one that we can afford in the UK from a dealer called Protean Motor homes. Firstly has anyone has any dealings with them?
Also how does VRT work. When I asked about VRT they said that it was 0% as they deal with shipping camper vans to Ireland. I dont think from what I read that this could be true. I obviously have to pay VRT here. They would deliver it to Dublin for me so would have to go through the port entry. Also if I pay a dealership a certain amount of money how will I know how much VRT I will pay. I have read stories of the tax office here in Ireland saying that the camper is worth a lot more and getting landed with a big bill on this side. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to your replies.
Thank you,
Eavan

Be very careful do NOT pay any money up front this has the hallmarks of a scam.
Vrt would be charged at approximately 13.3% of the revenue commission valuation of the van and this could be considerably more than the actual cost of the van.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.04.2019  ·  #3
As mentioned by Strand Camping, be very,very sure before you part with any money. Sounds like a scam to me as well, pay us we'll deliver to Dublin and there won't be any VRT to pay. :-/ :-/ You won't know what the VRT will be until the customs in Rosslare see the camper and pluck a fictitious value out of the air and look for 13.5% of that value. Google the dealer and see what you come up with. Search this forum for VRT and importing. If you put in your location you might find a craicer locally who may be willing to offer help and advice. Good luck with your search.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.04.2019  ·  #4
Reiterate all of the above, sounds very much like a scam. Do not under any circumstances send any money.... decide on van, go to the UK or get someone you trust to go and then and only then make a decision to buy or not.

Sligoer
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.04.2019  ·  #5
We bought our first camper a few months ago and I came across very bad reviews of protean in our search.

AliPhatCamper
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.04.2019  ·  #6
Be verrrry wary.

Have you seen this motorhome?

Google proteanmotorhomes and scam alert.

Lots on Gumtree and DoneDeal, ( lots of scams too).

See it in the flesh.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.04.2019  ·  #7
Sounds like a scam alright. I can’t even find a working link to their website

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.04.2019  ·  #8
Ask can you go and see the Motorhome we where nearly caught out with this scam we where told the person who was selling was in the forces and was going to Iraq and had to sell fast the camper was in an army base in Scotland and would be delivered to Stranraer when we dug dipper it was a disused ta camp be very careful

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Buying Camper from UK

· 
Posted: 03.04.2019  ·  #9
Eavan. I sent you a PM.
God luck with you're search , but maybe somewhere else.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.04.2019  ·  #10
https://www.myvehicle.ie/car-n…number-vin

While this link has info from a car prospective the same principles applies to motorhome and campers.
A bogus dealer can change the number plates but not the VIN number.

A VIN number check will also throw up unpaid finance along with other things.

Ps, if this thread proves popular, we will split it to a different section.
Malcolm

sootyrex
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Elddis
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.04.2019  ·  #11
a few years ago I tried selling my car on done deal. some guy in Finland (in a town close to border with Russia) asked a few questions about it and said he will buy it. I knew it was a scam. He posted me (from Finland) an Irish Bankers Draft dated a month later than when he posted it. It was from a nurses credit union in Dublin. Looked very real. He had added 2,500 euro to the agreed price. Then told me a shipping company would pick up the car at my house, and I would pay them the 2,500 extra in cash. He could not come as he was flying to Iraq. Once I told him I brought the cheque to the bank and they called the Garda, and they needed to speak to him, he disappeared very fast. But this type of scam is very common. Be very careful

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.