Moving away from fossil fuels

Will caravans be the safer option for the future?

giblin
My Motorhome: Fantasy wagon
Base Vehicle: Imagination
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.03.2019  ·  #1
Hi all, I'm Phil, I'm new here.
I'm currently living in fantasy land watching a load of YouTube videos from American people converting buses to motorhomes. It's become a bit of a future dream to hit the road and see some of this world of ours, but the question hit me about what the future of that lifestyle might be?

With the push away from petrol / diesel will we end up in a situation where it's no longer an option to buy an old diesel bus or van etc to convert (assuming we will probably have tax increases on fossil fuels to push us towards electric)?

To be on the safe side there's always caravans so the vehicle can be changed out...but I don't like traditional caravans 😂 do we have big trailers similar in size to caravans? Like a smaller version of an artic trailer? Something built to last that could then be converted to individual needs and tastes and become classed as a caravan in the same way people change buses to motorhomes?

Loads of questions I know (sorry 😂) but I figured who better to ask than the community who takes the time to come to a forum and talk about this stuff for fun 😁

johnnymac
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Adria 660SP
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

Re: Moving away from fossil fuels

· 
Posted: 27.03.2019  ·  #2
Quote by giblin99@gmail.com

Hi all, I'm Phil, I'm new here.
I'm currently living in fantasy land watching a load of YouTube videos from American people converting buses to motorhomes. It's become a bit of a future dream to hit the road and see some of this world of ours, but the question hit me about what the future of that lifestyle might be?

With the push away from petrol / diesel will we end up in a situation where it's no longer an option to buy an old diesel bus or van etc to convert (assuming we will probably have tax increases on fossil fuels to push us towards electric)?

To be on the safe side there's always caravans so the vehicle can be changed out...but I don't like traditional caravans 😂 do we have big trailers similar in size to caravans? Like a smaller version of an artic trailer? Something built to last that could then be converted to individual needs and tastes and become classed as a caravan in the same way people change buses to motorhomes?

Loads of questions I know (sorry 😂) but I figured who better to ask than the community who takes the time to come to a forum and talk about this stuff for fun 😁

Are you thinking of something like this? http://fifthwheelco.com/ Made in Wales.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.03.2019  ·  #3
Will be a long long time before diesel is phased out on commercial type vehicles.
Get her converted and go enjoy.

giblin
My Motorhome: Fantasy wagon
Base Vehicle: Imagination
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.03.2019  ·  #4
Quote by johnnymac

Are you thinking of something like this? http://fifthwheelco.com/ Made in Wales.

Exactly Johnny, that sort of size but not a ready made home if you get me? I've seen American horse trailers that look near identical to 5th wheels but apparently they're made much stronger. Never seen anything that size around here though

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.03.2019  ·  #5
Quote by giblin

Quote by johnnymac

Exactly Johnny, that sort of size but not a ready made home if you get me? I've seen American horse trailers that look near identical to 5th wheels but apparently they're made much stronger. Never seen anything that size around here though

I know a guy with a 5th wheel on a gas converted petrol engined towing truck if you are interested.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.