Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Battery cabling

· 
Posted: 09.03.2019  ·  #1
Over the last few years, there has been hugh discussion on fitting extra leisure batteries, inverters and solar panels.
However after purchasing the extra bits and pieces, an area that I believe that is overlooked with DIY fits is the quality of the cable connections being made.
Because we use a 12 volts system, there are often a large amounts of amps flowing through our cables.
One bad connection will start a fire with overheating.
How do most folk crimp on the lugs on 35 or 50 mm2 cables?
A proper crimping tool is serious money to buy for an one off job.
I work for a truck bodybuilding company, and the following is what I use for electric power hydraulic powerpacks, electric winches both of which pull about 150 amps of power.

This a lump of 20mm plate with two 16 and 12mm holes drilled and slotted.
The 12mm slot is for 35mm2 cable lugs while the 16mm slot is for 50mm2 cable lugs.

After stripping the cable end and fitting the lug end, put both into the slot. Using a blind punch, or flat end punch, flatten the lug onto the cable.
Use a 10mm punch first and then a 6mm punch to really tighten the connection.
Afterwards to waterproof the connection, used electrical tape or heat shrink tubing.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Battery cabling

· 
Posted: 09.03.2019  ·  #2
What I did was match the size of the cable running from the existing battery to the schaudt charger,

Not got any problems so far,

I like the way you do it Malcolm,

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2019  ·  #3
Quote by Thorn123

Over the last few years, there has been hugh discussion on fitting extra leisure batteries, inverters and solar panels.
However after purchasing the extra bits and pieces, an area that I believe that is overlooked with DIY fits is the quality of the cable connections being made.
Because we use a 12 volts system, there are often a large amounts of amps flowing through our cables.
One bad connection will start a fire with overheating.
How do most folk crimp on the lugs on 35 or 50 mm2 cables?
A proper crimping tool is serious money to buy for an one off job.
I work for a truck bodybuilding company, and the following is what I use for electric power hydraulic powerpacks, electric winches both of which pull about 150 amps of power.

This a lump of 20mm plate with two 16 and 12mm holes drilled and slotted.
The 12mm slot is for 35mm2 cable lugs while the 16mm slot is for 50mm2 cable lugs.

After stripping the cable end and fitting the lug end, put both into the slot. Using a blind punch, or flat end punch, flatten the lug onto the cable.
Use a 10mm punch first and then a 6mm punch to really tighten the connection.
Afterwards to waterproof the connection, used electrical tape or heat shrink tubing.

I have a spare crimping tool, up to 50 square, if anyone is doing this type of work, they are welcome to borrow it. TBH Malcolm, that looks like a bit of a botch job to me 😬

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2019  ·  #4
I upgraded my split charge cable to 35mm2 in the last couple of weeks. I had to make a couple of visits to some local auto electrical workshops to get some lugs crimped on.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2019  ·  #5
Fair enough daffysparks and very generous of you to offer the use of your spare crimper.
While my setup may look agricultural, it does work. In 15 years of working on trucks, I have seen every short cut taken with truck electrics.
The real question is what and how are folks using to connect the extra batteries together?
In most mh there is very little scope to place the habitation batteries beside each other.
As you are aware , it's not widely available to buy automotive cables off the shelf.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2019  ·  #6
I have one I have for 30 years and pretty well worn now.
Bought one same as this on eBay last year, hydraulic and is a super job..... about £30
Excellent tool for the money.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2019  ·  #7
Quote by JJF

I have one I have for 30 years and pretty well worn now.
Bought one same as this on eBay last year, hydraulic and us a super job..... about £30
Excellent tool for the money.

That’s a great price. Do you have a link to it? So I take it from the pic it comes with a set of dies for different lug size?

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.03.2019  ·  #8
Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2019  ·  #9
Quote by Thorn123

Fair enough daffysparks and very generous of you to offer the use of your spare crimper.
While my setup may look agricultural, it does work. In 15 years of working on trucks, I have seen every short cut taken with truck electrics.
The real question is what and how are folks using to connect the extra batteries together?
In most mh there is very little scope to place the habitation batteries beside each other.
As you are aware , it's not widely available to buy automotive cables off the shelf.

You can get 25, 35, and 50 sq mm panel flex from any good electrical wholesale. You probably won’t get red and black unless you are in the North, but it will be perfect for the job. You can always colour code it with a bit of insulating tape. Very flexible cable, but HAS to be lugged or ferrule’d
Ps wasn’t having a go, Malcolm

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.