Aux battery switch

Alexk
Subject:

Aux battery switch

· 
Posted: 07.03.2019  ·  #1
Still trying to work out the wiring in my old iveco daily... There's a switch in the cab marked aux battery and if I switch it on with ignition on an extra battery light appears on the dash. Can anyone explain what this is likely to mean/do? Thanks

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

Re: Aux battery switch

· 
Posted: 07.03.2019  ·  #2
I don’t know your van so can’t be sure, but I would say it allows your alternator to charge your auxiliary battery when the engine is running. Charging the auxiliary battery from the alternator is usually done automatically but it looks like you have a manual override switch.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.03.2019  ·  #3
Rambler may well be right..... if so then its very important that the feed is fused......
if not then the light wire will try and become jump leads under starting if the switch is left on and will burn out rapidly.
Best using a voltage sensing control relay, or a split charging relay.

Alexk
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.03.2019  ·  #4
Yes, i kind of thought that it was probably to charge battery from alternator, but can't see why it wouldn't be usual to just have this set up to happen automatically. What's the advantage to having it manually set up? Could it be that the two batteries are hooked up for discharge also unless the switch is turned off? I guess I could check that by putting on a heavy camper load and testing the starter with a multimeter

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Aux battery switch

· 
Posted: 07.03.2019  ·  #5
A simple test would to check the voltage on both battery's with the switch off they will probably be different. Then start engine check voltage on engine battery it should rise. And leisure one should not.
Then turn on switch and leisure one should rise also and match the engine one.
If this is the case then be careful not to leave it on,as Jon said if you don't know how its wired it could try to assist the main battery when starting.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.03.2019  ·  #6
If there's solar

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.03.2019  ·  #7
Sprinter’s advice is worth doing. It’s worth doing those steps with engine running and then stopped. I’d imagine the switch connects your two batteries, engine running or not but worth double checking. And Witzend brings up a good point about the solar. There might be situations where you want both batteries charging off solar with engine stopped. There might also be times you want to manually connect both batteries, if say your engine battery is flat and you want to crank off the auxiliary. Perhaps too, your auxiliary battery does automatically connect to your starter via a VSR with the switch in the off position and that switch just allows you to connect the batteries manually.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.