Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

1st Trip to france

· 
Posted: 04.03.2019  ·  #1
Evening all
We finally got the camper fixed and we are heading on our first trip outside Ireland.
Plan is to get to Cherbourg and stop in Le mans first night and head the Montpellier and then to Lourdes and Bordeaux and back to Cherbourg over 10 days.Has anyone ever driven across the Pyrenees to Lourdes..
Any tips at all for our first trip would be gratefully appreciated
Thanks in advance.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Re: 1st Trip to france

· 
Posted: 04.03.2019  ·  #2
Hi Muriel.
There is a fair whack of driving in that trip.
I will have a root around here for some topics of interest.
Glad to heard that the mh is back on the road.
Malcolm

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2019  ·  #3
That's alot of driving for a first trip, you won't have time to see the country and relax

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2019  ·  #4
Quite a drive.... Montpellier is quite a way south and east of Lourdes.

Lots of stops in and around Le-Mans and one very close to the motor racing circuit which has an excellent car museum there.

Montpellier to Lourdes is easiest via the A9-A61-A64 and going over Pyrenees isn’t really an issue. We’ve come the other way from the Spanish side via the Somport tunnel and out west of Lourdes.... a very nice drive.

From Lourdes north via Bordeaux back to Cherbourg you have multiple options and lots of nice stops. We’ve done it in the last couple of weeks taking a different route from our last trip.

Quite a lot of driving in 10 days, in my opinion I think that using toll roads is the best option as you can easily cover large mileage in a shorter time than the ordinary routes which are quite heavily populated with roundabouts......and check out the ATMB toll tag for France which makes the toll barriers easy.
Maybe you have a reason for taking in Montpellier on your trip, but by doing so you are adding in quite a lot of driving in a 10 day period......... in any case enjoy your trip and report back with us of your findings.

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2019  ·  #5
Muriel

When are you going, peak or off peak.

As Malcolm points out you will be doing more driving than enjoying the sites. Off peak there is no need to book in advance, just follow the sun. Never been during July or August but I hear it is better to have the main sites booked and paid for.

Our first trip in 2016, we committed to visiting friends near Pau, but we took 5 days to make our way down and the same back up. It was just the right amount of driving each leg. The following year the weather was so bad we ended up in a place near Narbonne on the med. that was a 7 hour drive from La Rochelle. Not good at the time but brilliant place to stay for a week. Took 4 nights to go back up. Last year we didn't go any further than La Rochelle. It was the best trip yet.

There's no need to cram so much in, as you will be back every year once you start.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2019  ·  #6
As the others have stated that is quite a lot of mileage. I tend to do long drives now to get to my destination, just done 408 today but that is with a couple of stops. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea but I drive into the night and stop in Aires. I like to see around me during the day but once it gets dark I don’t mind driving. Her indoors dozes in the front seat. If you decide on the long drives make sure you stop often, get out and have a dander, don’t drive tired

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2019  ·  #7
long way

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2019  ·  #8
Have to agree with other posts it's a lot of mileage for the time you have but whatever your destination I hope you enjoy your first French trip. Hope was the wrong word....you will enjoy it.

spatuladad123
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.03.2019  ·  #9
Each to their own and all that, but first trip to France and bypassing what many would consider to be some of the nicest bits , none of my business of course, but a bit curious (nosy) as to why.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.03.2019  ·  #10
One think no one has said here. You will get the bug for travelling. There is no cure

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.03.2019  ·  #11
I went the other side of Bordeaux last year and then down the Lot calling at Saint-Cirq-Lapopie and Rocamadour amongst other stops. Took me a month so you will have to go some in 10 days .
have a look at blog ,click on pics for more pics and info.
https://travelblogs.club/author/rebbyvid/
map of route
https://drive.google.com/open?…sp=sharing

and this may be useful
http://www.rebbyvid.co.uk/going-to-france/4542257529

Brickie
My Motorhome: Dethleffs
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.03.2019  ·  #12
We did Roscoff to Montpellier in 3 days. Kept to the main A roads and avoided tolls I made sure I was always parked up around 6pm with a few stops in between. Planned my route by using my sat nav to work out total miles from A to B then decided how many mile to do each day and picked a campsite or Aire in that town. I have done Cherbourg to Pau over 2 weeks and agree with the others that its a lot of driving and you aren't getting the benefit of the lovely country I didn't realise how big France was until I started driving through it. Realistically 3-4 weeks are needed for the tour you are doing. Our first trip was 2 weeks on the Loire valley and would highly recommend it for a first trip. Been 6 times and can't wait till next year to show our daughter ( who just bought her motorhome last week) the delights of the loire valley.

spatuladad123
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.03.2019  ·  #13
Was looking though our computer today and found a file called 'random phone pics' , while I was looking at it I noticed a tab that said ' make video with music ' so clicked it and it worked - here it is . I thought it might illustrate a bit what you might miss by going too quickly

spatuladad123
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.03.2019  ·  #14
If you take Wizends tip - "Just off the main road Montpelier to Lourdes there's a nice aire in Saint-Martoy nice village good shops and cafe/bars " you will be on route, if you take the right road from Pamiers to Saint Gaudens, to go through this amazing tunnel. We are hoping to see it this year.

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.03.2019  ·  #15
I'm considering our 1st trip to France in the MH this September. I'm thinking of Dublin to Cherbourg with Irish Ferries. I've read quite a lot of the Craicer blogs and have found them very informative. However, I still need a bit of help with a few details.
I don't have a particular route in mind when I get to France and don't know when I'll be coming back. Is it therefore more practical to just book a flexi single and book the return ticket at a time of my choosing. Also wondering what are the most practical cabin options for someone who is not a keen sailor. I see that they have 4 berth outside cabins and was thinking that this would maybe give the two of us more room and access to the deck if someone happens to be feeling a bit queasy.
All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.03.2019  ·  #16
The outside cabins wouldn’t normally give you access to outside, just a sealed window. Maybe the new boat is different, but I really doubt it. IMO if someone is not a great sailor, get an inside cabin... you can’t see the rolling seas, also you are closer to the middle of the ship so a bit less swaying motion. Ideally you want to be in the middle both ways, front to back and side to side. The nearer you can get to the center of the boat the less movement you will experience

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.03.2019  ·  #17
We book a 2 berth inside as it will be dark most of time, in 4 berth the other two beds will be above. I don’t think area of a 4 berth cabin size is much different but this is a new ship. When looking at cabin options you can click on it to see photo and what it includes.
As you are doing FLEXI go for sailing with cheapest fare, you can change as much as you like and you won’t have an administrative charge, but if higher fare you will pay the difference but if lower fare you won’t get a refund. If returning in peak season that might be more difficult.

Irish Ferries (and Stena) used to have a deal if you travelled to and from France between June and end Aug you got a free trip for 2 in same vehicle to UK, but being the year that it is ..the B word, this offer may not be on this year, has anyone noticed?
In the past did this apply to NI residents?

spatuladad123
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.03.2019  ·  #18
Don,t know if it's the same on Irish Ferries as Stena but we have booked a ' Flexi' booking this year as we are not sure about dates,. This means that we can change at any time , even to the next year,( £15 admin fee) although the ticket price is subject to any std changes that may have taken place , the price could also drop if we take advantage of any deals that come up from time to time - NOTE - if you do not book a cabin soon there probably won't be any available in the Summer as most know this and book them early. A cabin turns a boring trip into a pleasant experience, a must in my opinion. Outside ones are more pleasant because of the porthole and daylight comming in.
Bad weather - really bad , it's at least an 18hr crossing -change the booking , little bit bad - lie down in your bunk and try to sleep.
Never had a bad crossing yet in last 8 years though , and we go in Aug/Sept. and back Oct usually.
On Stena there is always a door in the corridor from the outside cabins leading to a deck area - Alan frequents it often as he is still a smoker (grrr).
Other tips- take a two pin to three pin adapter, kettle and all the stuff for coffee/tea, snacks for supper/breakfast. Lap top or something to watch movies on or books etc whatever keeps you amused for the 'dead' time.

spatuladad123
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.03.2019  ·  #19
sorry R&N you must have posted while I was typing my similar reply.

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2019  ·  #20
Quote by JMAC

Also wondering what are the most practical cabin options for someone who is not a keen sailor. I see that they have 4 berth outside cabins and was thinking that this would maybe give the two of us more room and access to the deck if someone happens to be feeling a bit queasy.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

1st Trip to france

· 
Posted: 06.03.2019  ·  #21
Quote by witzend

We always have a outside cabin but travel day time if possible Plymouth / Roscoff 8 hrs B/F. (Daytime cabins 1/2 price)

Off topic slightly Witzend , how much do you pay to get off the island to Roscoff?

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2019  ·  #22
Quote by sprinter

Off topic slightly Witzend , how much do you pay to get off the island to Roscoff?

Depend on time of year

davidrory

Subject:

Nice trip but...

· 
Posted: 06.03.2019  ·  #23
Two years ago we did a similar trip but we took five weeks in June and first week in July. I'd suggest dropping Montpellier. Perhaps LeMans to Bordeaux then Lourdes. Le Mans is great and you should visit the city as well as the track and museum.
Good luck and have a great trip.
As others have said - the place is much bigger in reality than it looks when planning on maps.

TeachGra
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.03.2019  ·  #24
I really appreciate all your reply's , We are bringing my Dad to see his brother in Montellimar so hence the roundtrip journey and I think he would really love Lourdes .

Thanks again to you all . we would be lost without this site.

spatuladad123
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.03.2019  ·  #25
Knew there had to be a reason. Montelimar mmm , pity you don't have time to tour Provence ,as you are close - but a good sightseeing alternative route towards Lourdes from there would be via La Roque Sur Ceze,,The Ardeche Gorge, The Tarn gorge then in and out of some of the Pyrenees good bits on the way to Lourdes ie Arreau to Luz Saint Sauveur ( en route take cable car to the Pic du Midi , overnight free at Lac de Payolle) , down to Gavarnie, up to Lourdes, back down through Argeles Gazost and down to Lac Estaing ( stay in campsite at lake or even nicer one in Estaing village, ) through Arrens Marsous to Laruns . ( good idea from someone else to go south from here to Fabreges and take the cable car to the little red train)
I know you probably don't have the time and I was reminiscing here as much as offering advice ha ha , but we visit these places most years and they are stunning . Plenty of photos and clips if you need - but also all places well covered on you tube.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.