Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Cobh, parking & payment concerns.

· 
Posted: 03.03.2019  ·  #1
Quote by Eamonn

To get the info first ask, then use FOI, but I'm sure they would give it. It's not often a council does anything that makes money.

There's power there and a pay and display machine. Water and waste are within a stones throw. The biggest construction cost would be the grey waste drop. That and a can of white paint.

See Below

Claims camper van drivers are ‘dodging parking fees’
Irish Examiner17 Sep 2018Sean O’Riordan

Some penny-pinching camper van drivers are dodging charges for overnight use of the country’s only municipal-run motorhome/campervan park, it has been suggested.

But plans are being drawn up to prevent reoccurrences at the park on the seafront in Cobh, Co Cork.

Members of the CobhGlanmire Municipal District Council were advised camper vehicles were arriving at the site at the Five Foot Walk after traffic wardens finished their shifts, then departing in the mornings before the wardens resumed work.

Municipal district officer Paraig Lynch revealed €8,790 had been collected from camper van visitors between January and June of this year, and a further €9,100 during July and August. But Cllr Cathal Rasmussen was furious at the income levels and claimed the district council should have benefitted by more. He indicated he regularly visited the site and saw vehicles parked up which had not paid a fee.

Cllr Sinead Shepperd said she had spotted posts on Facebook which advised the parking was free.

“It’s a very busy area out there,” said Mr Rasmussen. “I’ve been keeping a check on it. That’s terrible compared to the income we should have got. Most of the time there are 30 to 35 camper vans out there. We should have got double the amount that came in.

“I accept it’s difficult (to police) as we don’t have somebody out there all the time checking it. We’ve made huge progress in a short time but I’m genuinely concerned about this. I go out there at 6.30am,” he added. Mr Lynch offered to provide the councillor with a fines book, to which Mr Rasmussen replied: “No problem.”

Cllr Diarmaid Ó Cadhla suggested electronic barriers and disc-dispensing machines might solve the problem.

Daffysparks

Subject:

Re: Dún Laoghaire Harbour Company has been dissolved

· 
Posted: 03.03.2019  ·  #2
Miserable buggers giving us all a bad name. We are just hone from there. No paper in machine Friday night, or at least it didn’t come out, glad I paid by card, so I could prove payment. 5 vans there last night but only saw tickets in two of them. Not saying the others didn’t pay, just that I couldn’t see the tickets

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2019  ·  #3
So is the ticketing in Cobh not manned and enforced? If not, that’s a recipe for trouble.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2019  ·  #4
I don’t know tbh. Only been twice and didn’t see anybody official either time

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2019  ·  #5
Same old, same old. The nasty, selfish few, destroy everything for the many.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2019  ·  #6
Happens everywhere Nick.
Saw many French vans arriving late and away at 7am before anyone comes around....... just beats me why a few euro for facilities is such a big issue.
One French guy came up to me at the Bourne, watering can in hand waiting for me to disconnect the hose so he could fill. I filled my tank, filled the cistern and flushed out the grey tank using up my allowance....... he wasn’t best pleased..... the fee for an hour electric or 10 mins water was €2 for goodness sake....
Some folk know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2019  ·  #7
The cute hoors will always balls up things for everyone else.
We stayed in Cobh on 30/12/18 and while I was throwing up "zees", my wife heard the bins been emptied at 5.30 am. She also sensed someone checking our windscreen for a ticket.
Hopefully the council officials will have photographed these cute hoors.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2019  ·  #8
Quote by JJF

Happens everywhere Nick.
Saw many French vans arriving late and away at 7am before anyone comes around....... just beats me why a few euro for facilities is such a big issue.
One French guy came up to me at the Bourne, watering can in hand waiting for me to disconnect the hose so he could fill. I filled my tank, filled the cistern and flushed out the grey tank using up my allowance....... he wasn’t best pleased..... the fee for an hour electric or 10 mins water was €2 for goodness sake....
Some folk know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

You beat me to it, Jon. I witnessed the exact same thing in France many times. with French Motorhomers parking for the night outside the aires, coming in late and leaving before the Police collected the money the following morning. its so annoying especially when Aires were so cheap also I have seen plenty of them putting out tables and chairs etc. so human nature is the same whether it is in Ireland or abroad. I think it is changing with the introduction of ticket machines at the entry point though.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2019  ·  #9
If they think they should have got double the fees then there are more than just a few dodging the fees. I have heard more than one councillor or tourism person suggest that motorhomers don’t spend money in the local area. Not saying that is true of course but I have heard that so many times it must be a common perception and issues like this don’t help convince them otherwise. Hoping folk will police themselves won’t work whether it is motorhoming or another area that could be abused. It’s human nature and some in any group will always take the mick.

I haven’t stayed on many Aires but have seen it first hand at my first ever Aire experience. It was at Portrush Aire were I think I was one of the few that paid and I saw folk using the free tap meant for washing cassettes for their main water tank to avoid paying a few quid for the proper tap. They were also pouring dirty dish water down a storm drain next to their van to avoid putting greasy water down their own sink. It really annoyed me and could see why motorhomers can get a bad name.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2019  ·  #10
Lads, maybe this Topic should be split ?? Not sure if all this is relevant to the original post. I’m not bothered but if we are all having a go at freeloaders, maybe it shouldn’t be tied to a topic about Dun Laoghaire Harbour company. As one of the first to stray of topic, I thought maybe I should say so

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2019  ·  #11

Lads, maybe this Topic should be split ?? Not sure if all this is relevant to the original post.

It is sort of relevant in that the original poster suggested that an Aire could be pushed for at Dun Laoghaire. I’m
also trying to get my local council interested in the idea. In both cases I would be pointing councils towards Cobh as a fairly exemplar example on the island and if it is having issues then it will put off other councils doing the same. Bashing freeloaders won’t help but any novel ideas on curbing bad practices would. I don’t think barriers are the way to go though.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2019  ·  #12
The problem with Cobh, well there are two really.
One is that perhaps some leave the P&D ticket on the dash (as you do in a car) but when the blinds are closed it's not readily visible.
Secondly, the sign says €10 for overnight parking, the intention is that the charge is for 24 hours but some cute hoors take it literally and spend the day there then buzz off at night and pay nothing. The council are looking at changing the wording on the sign to make it clear that the charge is for 24 hours to get rid of any idea that payment is only required if staying overnight.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2019  ·  #13
I agree with both those points 1
the ticket needs to be about 3 times the size it is at present
And
The signage definitely needs changing. At the moment, you could read it like that.... well, I’m not staying overnight, so I don’t have to pay.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2019  ·  #14
My personal attitude is to always exercise good manners in areas of confusion.
There is always a cute hoors looking to take advantage in all walks of life.
As a good manners exercise, let us put an extra pocket beside our tax, insurance, crvt disc, into which we pop our parking ticket.
Let us lead by example.
However it does sicken me to listening to councils complaining about non payment of charges. Being totally honest, the council in question, levied the charge, so they are responsible for payment. A few cases of non payment put to the district court would sharpen minds very quickly.
Malcolm
For those who have never visited Cobh it is worth pointing out that the mh aires is first upon entry and the public carpark is at the back of the mh aires. The train station is further up the quays. A proposed barrier system at entry would upset the car parking side of things.
Please bear this in mind with your comments.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2019  ·  #15
Quote by Thorn123

As a good manners exercise, let us put an extra pocket beside our tax, insurance, crvt disc, into which we pop our parking ticket.

That’s a good idea Malcom. But I would even go further and say, just pop your ticket in to one of your existing disc holders to display your parking ticket . Ok so maybe not your tax disc holder as you have a legal duty to display an up to date tax disc, but one of the other ones.
Lat time I was down in Portumna Aire, I could see that my parking ticket would not have been on display for the most part due to my thermal blinds. So what is the care taker to think? I did cop it the next morning and popped the ticket into my CVRT disc holder.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2019  ·  #16
Quote by The Rambler

Quote by Thorn123

That’s a good idea Malcom. But I would even go further and say, just pop your ticket in to one of your existing disc holders to display your parking ticket . Ok so maybe not your tax disc holder as you have a legal duty to display an up to date tax disc, but one of the other ones.
Lat time I was down in Portumna Aire, I could see that my parking ticket would not have been on display for the most part due to my thermal blinds. So what is the care taker to think? I did cop it the next morning and popped the ticket into my CVRT disc holder.

Any suggestion where you put it if you have external Silverscreens on?

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.03.2019  ·  #17
When I had the silver screens on last weekend in portumna I put the ticket on the side window near the haditation door, Then when Noel was checking I pointed the ticket out and told him the screens would have covered it had it been on windscreen,
He said he had seen it already,

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2019  ·  #18
Why not put the ticket in the window by the sink/cooker or whatever side window by habitation door, so when they come knocking on the door they will see it.
Another thing with window condensation as we don’t always use the external silver screens, we also have internal blinds.
We laminate the tax, cvrt and insurance discs insert into the disc pockets but have along lower edge of pocket to let water drain.

Did anyone buy the vacuum for condensation from Aldi a few weeks ago, missed it, but on sale on Lidl tomorrow 5/3/19

R&N
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Lyseo 700 TD Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2019  ·  #19
Mad Max you got there before me ,mine was in “ please wait” mode, and again when writing this post as it wouldn’t let me write again so soon after

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2019  ·  #20
Quote by mad max

When I had the silver screens on last weekend in portumna I put the ticket on the side window near the haditation door, Then when Noel was checking I pointed the ticket out and told him the screens would have covered it had it been on windscreen,
He said he had seen it already,

Any effort to display is better than no effort to purchase at all.
Dick's field put a sticker on your wing mirror last summer to combat the external blinds.
Malcolm

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2019  ·  #21
We laminate the tax, cvrt and insurance discs insert into the disc pockets but have along lower edge of pocket to let water drain.

Great idea Rosemary, disc's do get very damp and messy

I also put parking disc for Portumna in side window beside door

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2019  ·  #22
To combat the soggy discs,
I have seen one craicer to fit the disc holder up side down.
Slip.the discs in from the bottom and make sure they sit inside the half inch or so of a lip to stop them slipping out,

No more soggy discs,

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

Re: Cobh, parking & payment concerns.

· 
Posted: 04.03.2019  ·  #23
I highly recommend these "windscreen clips" that can be bought on ebay for a few cents each. I fitted them to our cars and inlaws cars recently and they're very handy for holding parking permits etc.
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/5pc-Ca…:rk:5🇵🇫0

I'd also recommend removing the white adhesive pad that comes with the clip and replacing it with this clear tape:
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/3M-Dou…3b0908b45b

Not sure it's be much use to you if you have problems with "soggy permits", but I thought it might be worth sharing...

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2019  ·  #24
They look the job Blag. Northern Ireland vans don’t have any discs displayed on windscreen so I also find it a problem trying to display parking tickets unless they’re the ones with the adhesive backing.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2019  ·  #25
Kevin, They would work brilliantly on the inside of the window next to the Hab Door, If we all made the decision to display all parking tickets in this way and place it might catch on.and also suggest to the council that they suggest all motorhomes using their Aire to do the same.

I just ordered 10 packs, so I will have them available for a small fee towards Allys expenses at the Craic Fest.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2019  ·  #26
ill have a bit of that Martin :D

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.03.2019  ·  #27
Me too 👍

scotgard
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Adria Twin
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato Maxi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2019  ·  #28
Count me in for a pack Martin

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2019  ·  #29
Ticket dodgers aren’t only in cobh there even in carlingford marina I’ve seen them coming in when the barriers are left open for the night and moving on before they go down when the boys arrive for work in the morning

cowboy70
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Elddis encore 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat ducat 2.3/ 9 speed auto 140bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2019  ·  #30
eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2019  ·  #31
Your purchase of 10 is well sold now Martin

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2019  ·  #32
Quote by eirebus

Your purchase of 10 is well sold now Martin

10x pack of 5 = 50 ?

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.03.2019  ·  #33
I’ll take a pack of five. Allowed I’d Get in quick 👍

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.03.2019  ·  #34
10x pack of 5 = 50 ?

Oops misread that 😣

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2019  ·  #35
Quote by mad max

To combat the soggy discs,
I have seen one craicer to fit the disc holder up side down.
Slip.the discs in from the bottom and make sure they sit inside the half inch or so of a lip to stop them slipping out,

No more soggy discs,

Much simpler solution to soggy discs is to put the holder at the top of the windscreen. Won't work so good for some A class wagons but works a treat for anything else.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2019  ·  #36
Surely a pay as you enter barrier would be the most cost effective. If you're beyond the barrier you've paid. Need little or no enforcement and an electronic payment by contactless payment (tap) means no one has to empty it.

Makes sense to me

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2019  ·  #37
While that is a great idea, in the case of Cobh, it wouldn’t work. There is a car park further on from the MH parking, that’s free. Car owners would then have to pay to access the car park

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2019  ·  #38
Quote by Daffysparks

While that is a great idea, in the case of Cobh, it wouldn’t work. There is a car park further on from the MH parking, that’s free. Car owners would then have to pay to access the car park

It just shows the inequity as some might see it. Everyone else car park for free and we have to pay.

Not saying that I'm not glad to pay for parking there as it's a great facility and have happily paid every time I visited.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2019  ·  #39
Just home from Cobh, spent last night there in the Motorhome, While it is a lovely set up, it is a fair walk out from the pub in the pouring rain and boy was it raining last night, got drenched coming back. if they built it nearer to the Town they could have put up barriers as Eamonn suggested also as he said I think it would be fairer seen that we were paying and the cars were not.
I payed by Card and the ticket machine was working fine, But if people are not paying it is probably Cobh's own fault, I didn't see anyone checking tickets. Do you think Car owners would do any different if there was no parking wardens on Duty on our streets.
There was 5 Motorhomes parked there last night, I didn't check any if they had tickets on their Windscreens.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.03.2019  ·  #40
Well chausson, the walk to and from the pub is going to get longer.
At the dock where the cruise ships berth, the area that has painted footpaths, is going to be a closed restricted area when a ship is docked.
With the footbridge being closed due to renovations the walk will be a good 10 minutes longer.
https://www.echolive.ie/corkne…65931e0-ds

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.