heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

TPMS

· 
Posted: 04.02.2019  ·  #1
I see that a lot a vans now have these as standard but I don't and although I usually check each time out this would not help if I got say a rear slow whilst on the motorway
Found these (and a lot like it)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZEEPI…re+monitor
Will not effect CANBUS as it is solar
Has anybody fitted one and what have they found
Thanks folks
David

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Re: TPMS

· 
Posted: 04.02.2019  ·  #2
Quote by heanorboy

I see that a lot a vans now have these as standard but I don't and although I usually check each time out this would not help if I got say a rear slow whilst on the motorway
Found these (and a lot like it)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZEEPIN-Univers ... re+monitor

Will not effect CANBUS as it is solar
Has anybody fitted one and what have they found
Thanks folks
David

Link not working :-|

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2019  ·  #3
JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2019  ·  #4
baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2019  ·  #5
Very interesting piece of kit at a reasonable price.
My only question would is the connectivity range sufficient for long wheelbase motorhomes.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2019  ·  #6
Looks a nice bit of kit, But on the right hand box it says Dont Ship to Ireland and in their terms that is north and south, But had a look on Amazon and there are others who do,and probally more on Ebay.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2019  ·  #7
Having read that most blowouts happen due to low pressure overflexing the walls of the tyre leading to temperature increases, my thoughts were that, despite being fairly good at checking the pressures regularly before trips and during longer trips, it would be hard to pick up on a slow puncture on a long trip on a French motorway.

I bought these from Tyrepal, not the cheapest and undoubtedly also made in China, but their reviews and support seem to be good. More importantly they do big discounts from time to time.

https://www.tyrepal.co.uk/wp-c…170920.pdf

Many of the eBay versions do not cover the psi we might need as they are designed for cars. This is especially true if you put camper tyres on the rear with the recommended 80 psi. So watch that if you are buying off eBay/amazon.

My van is a 7 metre with what I regard as a standard wheelbase. There are no problems with the signal range.

The pressures are fascinating to watch. Mine are showing 53 psi front and 73 rear in the cold weather. Once I start driving the pressures rise to 60 and 80. In the warmer weather in France the 60/80 rise by about 10 psi to 70/90 which is a bit disconcerting at first. On my consol which sits on the dashboard, the pressures are reasonably easy to read, but the tyre temperatures are very small and almost impossible to read on the move, although the psi is what I am interested in.

Worth it in my view.

Davy

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2019  ·  #8
The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2019  ·  #9
Interesting. Didn’t realize I needed this until I saw this post. So the sensors just attach to the tyre valves in place of the dust caps.I presume the sensors have small batteries inside?

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2019  ·  #10
The sensor simply replaces the valve dust cap. It has a lock nut fitted to reduce the possibility of loss and a rubber sleeve to keep all waterproof. As you surmised, they have little batteries in them which I believe last a couple of years. The sensors seem to be brand sensitive regarding replacement, although why is anyone’s guess.

Mine are about one year old at present.

Davy

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2019  ·  #11
I fitted TyrePal to my Adria and it’s a great piece of kit. It’s the solar one too but cost me a lot more than that one.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2019  ·  #12
Well I had to have one. I managed to order the cheaper Zeepin system through Gearbest.com for €24.78 which includes a 22% discount, and just €0.60 for shipping. :D

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2019  ·  #13
Rambler, I’d be quite interested to hear how you get on with those. Ye have given me the urge now to buy a tpms system

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2019  ·  #14
Quote by Daffysparks

Rambler, I’d be quite interested to hear how you get on with those. Ye have given me the urge now to buy a tpms system

I will keep you posted for sure!

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2019  ·  #15
Just something to be cautious about.
Puncture repairs and tyre replacements are usually done by the kid in a garage. I would worry about the amount of respect that would shown to your TPMS.
Malcolm

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2019  ·  #16
I think I'd be popping back on the dust caps in that scenario. Do you think garages go messing with inflating your tyres during a service? No harm in popping the dust caps back on either way I suppose.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2019  ·  #17
Those things are bringing back thoughts of a bloody Renault Laguna we had years ago, they never worked right in that, being solar I think they are a different system, Great value and a great product if they work. I will be watching your review with great interest Jason. by the way do you know the max tyre pressure they will operate at?

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.02.2019  ·  #18
Quote by CHAUSSON

by the way do you know the max tyre pressure they will operate at?

Yeah I did check that Pat. They claim 6 bar, so ≈ 87 p.s.i..

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.02.2019  ·  #19
OK its me back again,
I will be changing my wheels shortly (already have in the Garage) and I am wondering about fitting internal sensors as they look a lot neater. They fit this type on new cars/vans has anybody any knowledge or experience of these as a after market fit
David

Elmo
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Chausson Flash 05 called "Wally"
Base Vehicle: 2007 Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.02.2019  ·  #20
Quote by The Rambler

Quote by Daffysparks

I will keep you posted for sure!

Hi Rambler

Just wondering if you received the system, and what you thought of it?

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.02.2019  ·  #21
Quote by Elmo

Hi Rambler

Just wondering if you received the system, and what you thought of it?

Unfortunately not received yet. I ordered on the 4th Feb, and according to the tracking on Gearbest, it hasn’t even been shipped yet. It is due to be posted via Netherlands Post Unregistered, so you would think this will take a couple of days. But if there is a Dutch warehouse stocking them, I would think they are awaiting stock from China. Either that or it was always coming from China on low priority shipping and they somehow use the Netherlands postal system, I don’t know?

It’s a pain to be honest as I’m eager to try it out.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.03.2019  ·  #22
Just as I was getting edgy and in need of a gadget fix, my TPMS system arrived in the morning post. Finally! 😋 So first impressions are quite good. This is a very accurate unit. The receiver fits in the palm of your hand so will lie snugly on the dash with its sticky pad. It has an integrated solar panel and can also be powered externally with USB. A couple of minutes messing around with receiver parameters and I had set the pressure units to PSI, temperature units to Celsius, and set a low and high pressure threshold values to something sensible for alarm thresholds.

The four sensors, screw onto the valves in place of the dust caps. There are also retaining lock nuts that fit on first for security purposes. Once fitted, the receiver was reading all four tyres accurately. How do I know that? Well the real-time values agreed with my Halfords key ring tyre pressure meter, which I know to be accurate.

Now I had not measured my tyres for the last few weeks I must admit. The rear tyres should be at 64 psi , they were reading 53 🙄. The new monitor should focus my attention on tyre pressures on every journey. So I took a short run down to my local forecourt and pumped all tyres. This involves loosening the locking nuts and removing the sensors obviously. If you had to do that very regularly, it would probably be a nuisance as it is fiddly. On the way home on my short journey, I could see the tyre temps begin to rise a little and hence the pressure too.

This is a non branded Chinese unit with a little instruction leaflet with ridiculously tiny, almost illegible text. It cost €27. If I get longevity out of it I will be quite happy.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.03.2019  ·  #23
Good man these units are worth the money in my opinion. Be aware, though that the colder spring air has it affect on the pressures. Mine are set for 60 psi front and 80 psi rear. At present they read 56 front and 75 rear because of the cool air, in summer they read 60/80. When you drive a decent distance expect the pressures to increase by up to 10 psi.

Have a look at this for guidance.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_inflation_pressure

Davy

Mozzie
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2019  ·  #24
Jumping on here - if I have an older van without a manual - how do I know what the psi should be?

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2019  ·  #25
A lot depends on you knowing the weight of your van and the individual axle weights. If you know these you can consult this site,

https://www.tyresafe.org/check-your-pressures/motorhomes/

Or you can submit the weights and tyre sizes to a tyre manufacturer who will usually give you advice. The van needs to be weighed in full running weight ie food, clothing, bikes , passengers and anything else you carry. If you live in the north or are not to far away you can access a self operated weigh bridge From this list.

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/ar…ighbridges

Failing that there should be a label in the doorpost which gives a little guidance on what the pressures should be for the vehicle before conversion. Or you might find an owners group forum for your make where you might get an answer.

Davy

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2019  ·  #26
Davy, since you’ve been monitoring your tyres for a while now, what’s the highest temperature you’ve seen them hit? I’d imagine on a long journey you would seem the temperatures sitting 10 degrees above ambient perhaps? In a hot climate that could be really disconcerting.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2019  ·  #27
Hi rambler,

That is the one question I cannot give a proper answer to. If I was to find fault with the tyrepal solar monitor it would be that the temperature figures are a lot smaller than the psi figures. They are a sort of orange colour that does not stand out well on my monitor which is about 3 or 4 feet away on the dashboard and can be hard to make out on bright days.

I tend to be watching for the psi, as any drop in that figure is the precursor to the temperatures rising and apparently contributing to the potential for a blow out. I was checking my pressures yesterday by removing the caps and measuring psi manually as I have relied on the monitor figure for a year now and thought a second reading might be worth obtaining. The things you have to do to keep yourself amused when retired!! Anyway the figure were accurate. I had not moved the van but the offside tyres were in the sunlight and showed 13 degrees, whilst the nearside were 3 degrees lower in the shade.

I must make a point of looking at temps when we are next away in Spain.

Davy

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.04.2019  ·  #28
I have TPMS on my Adria PVC, I didn't even know I had it until I fitted two new wheels and got a message Tyre pressure unavailable.
To reset and code the new wheels will be a trip to a main dealer so I am going to fit one of these units:
https://www.tpmsbypass.com/pro…y_selector
Cheaper than one new sensor and allows me to check the way I prefer by gauge and feel.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.04.2019  ·  #29
Just a little update on my TPMS kit since it has had its first outing. Easy to install and works well. I had set the upper pressure alarm threshold too low however. I had it set to 70 psi. My rear wheels are inflated for 64. On a mild afternoon on a bumpy road, the rear wheels reached 70 psi. This meant the device kept beeping at regular intervals and so the threshold needed adjusting upward.

As well as that, the receiver goes to sleep when the vehicle is at rest. It wakes when movement is detected, such as opening a door, which is handy. However, it makes a beep every time it does this. Not a problem in itself until we bunked down for the night. At various points in the night, the unit beeped because it detected movement. Best way to describe it is it was kind of like a smoke detector who’s battery is low, so beeps regularly through out the night. There are people and a dog trying to sleep after all, and presumably moving in their sleep. Unless I can find a way to disable the beeps in the menu, I might consider disconnecting the piezo speaker.

Not a deal breaker though. I like it and it gives peace of mind.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.