Base Vehicle: Renault Master
Subject:

French Aires

· 
Posted: 02.02.2019  ·  #1
Your opinions please

Are they safe ?
Do vans get broken into ?

I've heard a bit of talk in the pub that they are not secure or safe and Id be better off staying on a campsite, I don't know?? I've been to France several times but never in a camper.
This year we are going in the camper with a motorbike in the back and in order to go to bed we have to put the bike outside, this is my main concern, will the bike be safe outside parked at the back door of the camper overnight or if we go into town for a gargle.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: French Aires

· 
Posted: 02.02.2019  ·  #2
Have stayed in French Aires often.... no problems.

The ones that you’ve heard about in the pubs are the motorway rest aires ... not recommended to overnight on those as criminals can use the motorway network to escape.

Most town aires are quite safe, take your normal precautions and there is usually other vans there anyway.

Don’t be put off using the aire network, some of the most fabulous stops we’ve found was by using the French aires, and to boot you’re supporting the local towns and small businesses.

Go and enjoy and report back here on your trip.

All the best.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2019  ·  #3
Agree with Jon, never been on a dodgy aire, ever, but would never dream of staying overnight at a M Way services. Just do what you would do at home, common sense. Enjoy the trip, don't let people who may never have even been to France cloud your vision.

rebbyvid
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: TRIBUTE T615 SPORT
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2019  ·  #4
Agree with both the above ,i have also never had a problem and use aires all the time (have a look at my blogs and website) . The only time i have had any problems are here in the U.K. ,One all new locks and a window and all they took was a reversing camera monitor (worth about a fiver and of no use as they left the camera ),I had some plastic panels taken off a P.V.C and a quarter light broken ,and recently someone took the silver plastic cover on the door handle (again worth a couple of pounds). So as said keep away from the motorway services and main drags down to Spain . Put a sturdy chain on the bike and chain it to the van. On the subject of stealing from vehicles ,houses etc we have a massive problem in the Manchester area with gangs of scroats robbing whatever they want as we have not got the police force to combat it .

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2019  ·  #5
Aires de service are the ones to avoid. These are motorway stops, from a filling station, food outlets a paved parking area. Some are very isolated which can present opportunities for crime.

Aires de stationnement are the official name for mh/camper overnight parking.
Just remember that these places can be quite strict on behaviour like putting out tables, chairs, etc. A rule of thumb, if is cannot be packed away in less than 5 minutes, don't pull it out.
That answers your motorbike question. Stow it away on its rack with good locking system at nightime, and you are ready to go in hurry, if needs must.
Malcolm

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2019  ·  #6
There are thousands of places to park up for a few hours or a couple of days. As has already been said, don't park overnight or leave your 'van unattended at roadside rest areas or service areas, they are notorious for thievery.

Dedicated motorhome parking areas in cities, towns and villages are generally safe and you will usually find yourself among fellow motorhomers, and we all look out for each other.

Only park up for a night when you see a sign like below

BARTRE
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Carado T334
Base Vehicle: FIAT DUCATO
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2019  ·  #7
Hi A Gally
welcome ,if you wont piece of mind have a look at the camping car parking web site they have a chain of over 150 secure aires with 6amp elec ,water,wifi, and are secure we use them a lot when in France for around 8-10 euro well worth it

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.02.2019  ·  #8
We spend months

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2019  ·  #9
Have been using Aires for about 12 years now and without any incident. As has been said avoid overnight stays at motorway services. Always be cautious and if you don't get the right feel when you arrive at an Aire then move on there is sure to be another one close by. Don't be put off by the stories that circulate every so often make your own judgement.

A-Gally
Craic'er
My Motorhome: The Wagon
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.02.2019  ·  #10
Thanks for all the advise folks
The rule of thumb seems to be stay away from motorway stops overnight just keep to the other normal Aires where there's others staying and lets face it there's loads to choose from.
Camping-car looks to be a very handy app
Cheers BARTRE

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.02.2019  ·  #11
If you stay off the motorways you will see France properly, that way you will not be tempted to use the motorway Aires.

Over the years we have found some fantastic Aires which have cost nothing and you end up taking the memories with you for years to come.

A-Gally
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2019  ·  #12
Quote by the fat controller

If you stay off the motorways you will see France properly, that way you will not be tempted to use the motorway Aires.

Over the years we have found some fantastic Aires which have cost nothing and you end up taking the memories with you for years to come.

Sounds like the way to go ok
We never used the motorways on the bikes in recent years but we weren't concerned about Aires but now we'll be bringing the wagon we realize that we've toured the country and never paid any heed to overnight parking of a camper
Good advice

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.02.2019  ·  #13
Found

Floorman
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.02.2019  ·  #14
Witzend pointed me in the direction of these a couple of weeks ago when they were for sale on ebay I bought them all for just £20.00. They were all brand new and the unwanted prize in a photographic competition.
Waiting for a new van to arrive and then will be trying them out, great locations. (Thanks again, Witzend)

A-Gally
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.02.2019  ·  #15
You did well there Floorman

franco
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.02.2019  ·  #16
I use ‘All The Aires’ mainly. Find it excellent. We invariably use camp sites every few days and then revert to aires again.
Franco

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.