nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Keeping Your Van Dry in Winter

· 
Posted: 27.01.2019  ·  #1
Now that the cold north winds are blowing, this might help for to keep the inside of the van moisture free. You can get oil filled tubular green house heaters of varying sizes i.e. 1,2,3,4,5,6 feet long and corresponding wattage on Ebay for £15 and plug in one of those time control adaptors so that it comes on for what ever time and lenght you want. They are low power so not expensive to run. But remember to run them flat i.e. horizontal and not vertical .

Daffysparks

Subject:

Re: Keeping Your Van Dry in Winter

· 
Posted: 27.01.2019  ·  #2
I use a 400 watt unit. Basically a frost protector for attics and garages. I run a separate 230 v line in for it, rather than having the van plugged in constantly. I’d be nervous of overcharging the leisure batteries, which are also topped up by solar. I have it set just high enough to keep the chill out and prevent moisture buildup. It has worked well for the last 3 winters

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.01.2019  ·  #3
What about when your van is in storage, indoors? Is it nescessary to take precautions?

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.01.2019  ·  #4
I suppose the same would apply Rob, unless the building is very well insulated. Just remember if you have solar, it will be useless inside to keep your batteries topped up, so you will need a plug in point

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.01.2019  ·  #5
I’m planning on getting something like picture I found on Google built shortly. I keep my van on a slope using blocks so the rain runs off the back at the moment. I could put it in a shed at home but the solar panel would not keep the battery trickle charged (I give the van a full mains charge once a week). Also I would fear it would go mouldy in a shed without sunlight and a breeze getting round it and passing mice might be tempted to set up home in it..

A clear roof/sided shelter with plenty of ventilation should be the best mix I would hope. I don’t use a heater but keep all of the lockers and the fridge propped open. I keep the handbrake off and the van in gear. I figure if I ever stop motorhoming I can always use it as a garage for the car or even rent it out to a local Craicer! 🤑
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.01.2019  ·  #6
I agree with you about putting it in a shed, vermin, mildew, solar etc. and about excessive heat which can cause problems also. Another thing, that was mentioned to me before, was, especially in older vans, that the timber supports can dry out and shrink, stretching the mastic sealant, and then, all of a sudden brought out into wet weather, soaks in moisture, expanding the wood, and that this can lead to leaks. Don’t know if it’s true or not.
In relation to your “ Motorhome port, I priced one last year,approximately 9 mts by 5 mts. Came in at €6500 plus vat. All the bells and whistles, but found it hard to justify it. Mine is in between two buildings sheltered from heavy wind and frost, but open to the elements

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.01.2019  ·  #7
I don't have a solar panel and was thinking of putting it in a dark well ventilated shed, my thinking behind that is I have seen the sun and weather to discolouring the exposed side of Motorhomes and also the upholstery

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.01.2019  ·  #8

In relation to your “ Motorhome port, I priced one last year,approximately 9 mts by 5 mts. Came in at €6500 plus vat. All the bells and whistles, but found it hard to justify it. Mine is in between two buildings sheltered from heavy wind and frost, but open to the elements

I’ll be getting a price for mine later this week but I expect it to be a fraction of that. I have already had a smaller lean too car port type structure built at the back of the house for about £1k by the same man. The motorhome one will be about 8x3m with steel uprights & a wooden roof frame with polycarbonate roof and sides. I’ll keep you all updated anyway. I already have a big cantilever sliding gate which I will be able to pull across the front of it to protect it from the prevailing wind and rain. On a windy, rainy night the underside of the car port can still be completely soaked.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.01.2019  ·  #9
A carport crowd from Cavan quoted me. All galvanized and painted to match the Ral number of your choice. Seemed a quality product, but just couldn’t justify it. I’d be interested to know the cost, and if they would travel down South

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.01.2019  ·  #10
Quote by CHAUSSON

I don't have a solar panel and was thinking of putting it in a dark well ventilated shed, my thinking behind that is I have seen the sun and weather to discolouring the exposed side of Motorhomes and also the upholstery

There may not be much sun when you have it in the shed for the winter. Don’t know about the upholstery fading. It doesn’t in cars. Outside I suppose yeah, but would a good wax and polish not protect it. But in out of the weather, has to help I guess

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.01.2019  ·  #11

A carport crowd from Cavan quoted me. All galvanized and painted to match the Ral number of your choice. Seemed a quality product, but just couldn’t justify it. I’d be interested to know the cost, and if they would travel down South

This will be just one guy and I can chip in to help to save costs. My father got him to build him a galvanised car port last year for his car but I will just get this one with plain steel uprights that I will prime and paint myself. It will be in a yard blocked from the view of the house so I won’t be too fussy about having it blend in with the house or anything. This guy has built loads of these things for different purposes e.g. covered areas for kids nurseries etc.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.01.2019  ·  #12
The main reason that moisture builds up in a mh/ camper, apart from leaking joints, is us humans.
We produce alot of water vapour which absorbed into the soft fabics during our trips away.
Our routine after a trip, is to firstly drain all of the tanks, heater etc.
Then a good clean before leaving the heating on a lowish setting with a dehumidifiers running over night. Make sure than the fridge is wide open. Once the fridge is dry, no mould will grow.
This dries everything out.
Next morning turn off everything, pulled the blinds down and fit the windscreen blinds and walk away until the next trip.
It is only with frost forcasted, will the mains be plugged in, to protect the batteries from the cold.

For folks who place their wagon into indoor storage over the winter months, the cheapest method to absorb water inside of the wagon, is to place a bowl of salt on the table. The salt will absorb any water vapour that becomes available.
Malcolm

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.01.2019  ·  #13
Why pull down all the blinds, would that not block any bit of heat from the sun, and keep the inside colder than outside

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2019  ·  #14
Keeps the frost out

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2019  ·  #15
When the weather starts to get down to freezing level I have some of this
Thermawrap Multi-Purpose Foil Insulation – 1 x 7m cut to size and place it between the blinds and the window/skylights and have even put inside and outside silver screens on.
With a heater and frost stat Matilda is warn and dry, always parked outside angled down forward.
One thing to keep an eye on, is leaves blocking the water run off the windscreen and drip rails etc,

PaulH
Paid up member.
Homepage: thespaceplace.info
My Motorhome: Thor Axis on LPG.
Base Vehicle: Ford E350 v10.
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2019  ·  #16
I've had a 'roof' for a few years now, and, combined with an oil radiator with a thermostat, it keeps it all good.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2019  ·  #17
Like Sprinter I bought a roll of the aluminium foil you put behind central heating radiators and cut it to window size. as well for insulation I have also used it in strong sunlight in Spain as it is reflective and helps to keep the van cool and I open the windows on the shade side, also in noisy situations, like near to a main road or motorway it has a little extra sound deadening. And finally it weighs next to nothing and rolls up very small so no problem to carry.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2019  ·  #18
It was 1 degree Celsius all day here. Got home tonight, checked the camper, 11 degrees inside with the frost heater after being on for two hours, an hour previously. I have it timed for 2 hours on and 4 off and repeat. I’m dead happy with that, and don’t see a need to do anything more. Blinds permanently open to let the heat of the day in, not that there was any today

cowboy70
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Elddis encore 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat ducat 2.3/ 9 speed auto 140bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2019  ·  #19
Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2019  ·  #20
This might have been asked before by how do all of the Motorhomes new and second hand parked flat at major dealers survive cold and rain etc?

They can’t all have heaters and dehumidifiers in them or be parked on a slope or under cover? It’s always different when it is your own van of course and you want to look after it as best you can.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2019  ·  #21
Quote by gavster1

This might have been asked before by how do all of the Motorhomes new and second hand parked flat at major dealers survive cold and rain etc?

They can’t all have heaters and dehumidifiers in them or be parked on a slope or under cover? It’s always different when it is your own van of course and you want to look after it as best you can.

The answer is simply that it becomes the customers problem

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.01.2019  ·  #22
Quote by gavster1

Quite simple.
Breakages are repaired or resealed in their workshop.
You the customer is given a copy of their 100 ish individual checklist upon collection.
And finally a habitation cert.
Like all trades out there, some dealers are honest and will stand over their work while other dealers should be shipped to a Serbian labour camp for their actions.
Malcolm

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.01.2019  ·  #23

other dealers should be shipped to a Serbian labour camp for their actions.

😆

Droffats
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Benimar Mileo
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 150hp Automatic
Subject:

Keeping Motorhome Dry in Winter

· 
Posted: 30.01.2019  ·  #24
We always use a domestic dehumidifier that is powered from the house mains and time used to switch on for four hours per day. It does a super job - everything bone dry. If purchasing a dehumidifier make sure that it will come on without pressing the button on the machine. The newer ones tend to be digital and will not switch on from timer. We found dehumidifier a lot better than a heater. A heater will not remove moisture.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2019  ·  #25

This will be just one guy and I can chip in to help to save costs. My father got him to build him a galvanised car port last year for his car but I will just get this one with plain steel uprights that I will prime and paint myself. It will be in a yard blocked from the view of the house so I won’t be too fussy about having it blend in with the house or anything. This guy has built loads of these things for different purposes e.g. covered areas for kids nurseries etc.

I finally got my Motorhome port/ shelter finished although it still need a few bits and pieces and the painting finished. It is 8m long by 4m wide at the roof (3.3m between uprights) and 3.5m+ tall. The whole lot came at not much over £2k inc materials and labour and ex vat. I was originally going to put and clear roof on it but that was twice the price of the Tin and it is very exposed location so I needed ton for strength. I also skipped galvanising to save cost and will give it a lick of metal over the red primer.

I already had the sliding cantilever gate but I raised it myself by another 6’. I just need the van back from MOT prep to actually start using it! My father is already eyeing it up for tractor and I suspect maybe a few cattle 🙄.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2019  ·  #26
Looks a fantastic job and well done.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2019  ·  #27
Thats a good price Gav,
That should make a difference to the MH over the winter,

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2019  ·  #28

That should make a difference to the MH over the winter,

And a typical summer 🤨

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2019  ·  #29
Looks good, as does the old car in the background.

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.03.2019  ·  #30

old car in the background.

That’s a Hillman Minx. Not mine though, far too modern and “post war” for me!

jan_ryder
My Motorhome: Champ
Base Vehicle: Toyota Toyoace
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2019  ·  #31
Twice that. If you're running a heater, you either need to heat it all the time, but this is going to be a costly exercise, or you might just as well leave it and do so just before you are going to use it to remove any clammy feeling there may be inside. Heating at intervals only is of no benefit and just a waste of energy.

Living near the coast we are prone to damp winters (and summers) I have tried many methods of using dehumidifiers. But the proof of the pudding was when I ran a dehumidifier all night with a empty van, no cushions no clothes all doors open all vents shut. Next morning just under a pint of water in the container. Next day returned all the cushions etc. next morning just short of 4 pints of water. I run the dehumidifier on a timer for 3 hrs during the night and rarely have more than half a pint a day. I do this from Oct to March and never have a problem.

Forgot to mention! As another option, when in storage without hook up we use the gel type de-humidifiers which are really cheap. One in the shower area and one in the kitchen area. They're pretty effective.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Vertico
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Ci Riviera 181
Base Vehicle: Transit 2001
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2019  ·  #32
Plugged in my little blow heater which I have used loads of times while camping. And went out to turn it off... talk about the nick of time... I only have it 3 weeks and nearly started a fire

Vertico
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2019  ·  #33

Vertico
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2019  ·  #34

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2019  ·  #35
A close shave there? Although it probably would have blown the fuse before a fire?

Vertico
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2019  ·  #36
I'd like to think so. But now I'm afraid to leave a Heater on..

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2019  ·  #37
That design of heater has hundreds of different makers (rebadged) I have had two fail. I wont have them near me now.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2019  ·  #38
I have got a small 500 watt oil filled one which I find is ideal for the winter.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2019  ·  #39
We use this now, forum/topic.php?t=20463

Vertico
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.10.2019  ·  #40
Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.