JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Charging an electric bike.

· 
Posted: 23.01.2019  ·  #1
We use the MH all year round and the past 2yrs have only used EHU twice. What is the best set-up for charging an ebike without relying on EHU. I have 2 x 100ah leisure batts + 120w solar panel. The bike battery is 35v X 7amp. Would a pure sine wave inverter do the job.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

Re: Charging an electric bike.

· 
Posted: 23.01.2019  ·  #2
We would need to know the battery capacity. Is there an Ah rating or kWh rating?

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2019  ·  #3
Is the bike battery rated for 7Ah?

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 23.01.2019  ·  #4
Are you reading that information from the battery or the battery charger.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2019  ·  #5
Forget about what's written on the battery, check the 230v input figure on the charger that's what you will need to cover with the inverter.
If the figure is given in watts that's it, if it's given in amps multiply the amps by the voltage and that will give you the watts.

And, yes a pure sine wave inverter is best, chargers of any kind do not work at their best with quasi-sine wave units.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2019  ·  #6
Quote by baguette

Forget about what's written on the battery, check the 230v input figure on the charger that's what you will need to cover with the inverter.
If the figure is given in watts that's it, if it's given in amps multiply the amps by the voltage and that will give you the watts.

And, yes a pure sine wave inverter is best, chargers of any kind do not work at their best with quasi-sine wave units.

That’s all true enough when spec’ing an inverter. But what I was looking to find out is what is the ebike’s battery capacity, as written on the battery. It’s important to know that your habitation battery capacity will be capable of replacing the bikes discharged capacity on a regular basis without leaving you high and dry.

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2019  ·  #7
The battery is as already stated 35v/7Ah.
Charger states: Input AC185v-240v-1.8A Max.
Output 42v-2.0A.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2019  ·  #8
Ok, I wasn’t sure if the 7 amps referred to Amp-hours. So converting to Watt-hours as we have two different voltage systems:

(1) Habitation capacity: 2 x 100Ah x 12.7V = 2,540 Wh
(2) E-bike capacity: 7Ah x 35V = 245 Wh

As a percentage, the e-bike will consume about 10% of habitation capacity (245/2,540 x 100% = 9.6%) or about 20Ah. Assuming an inverter efficiency of 85%, closer to 24Ah.
That’s a quarter of your available capacity. Not an insignificant amount but very doable if properly managed. How long you can stay off-grid in poor sunshine is another matter.

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2019  ·  #9
Does the size of inverter make a difference on the drain on the batteries. With regard to inverters is bigger better i.e. thinking of a 1000w but there's not much difference in price between 1KW & 1.5KW.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2019  ·  #10
All the inverter does, is converts the 12 volts DC from your battery, into 230 volt AC. It won’t give you any power, in fact it used a bit itself, as nothing is 100% efficient. In relatio to size, go for one the next size up from what your maximum draw will be. Just remember if an appliance uses 10 amps on 230 volts, it will use approximately 200 amps on 12 volts, and that’s a serious draw, with cable size issues as well as flattening your batteries in minutes

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2019  ·  #11
Quote by Daffysparks

All the inverter does, is converts the 12 volts DC from your battery, into 230 volt AC. It won’t give you any power, in fact it used a bit itself, as nothing is 100% efficient. In relatio to size, go for one the next size up from what your maximum draw will be. Just remember if an appliance uses 10 amps on 230 volts, it will use approximately 200 amps on 12 volts, and that’s a serious draw, with cable size issues as well as flattening your batteries in minutes

So are you saying my batteries would be flat in a matter of minutes if I tried charging the ebike using an inverter.

Phoebe
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail Apache
Base Vehicle: Fiat ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2019  ·  #12
I use a 1000w pure sine wave inverter to charge a 500w bosch battery,it certainly takes a fair chunk of battery to fully charge but as rambler says you need to manage your hab batteries wisely.
No problem in summer or when travelling but use it sensibly in the darker evenings.
Check this youtube link as there is a bit about charging via inverter later in the video.
Hope this helps.
Steven.

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2019  ·  #13
Quote by Phoebe

I use a 1000w pure sine wave inverter to charge a 500w bosch battery,it certainly takes a fair chunk of battery to fully charge but as rambler says you need to manage your hab batteries wisely.
No problem in summer or when travelling but use it sensibly in the darker evenings.
Check this youtube link as there is a bit about charging via inverter later in the video.
Hope this helps.
Steven.

Great link. :up:

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2019  ·  #14
Quote by JMAC

Quote by Daffysparks

So are you saying my batteries would be flat in a matter of minutes if I tried charging the ebike using an inverter.

Just to put this into simple terms.

10 amps at 230 volts is like a good quality kitchen toaster.
The same power, but 200 amps at 12 volts is a small welding plant.
Both use the same amount of electricity per minute.

Back to charging the ebike, I would agree with Rambler sums in post 8, 10 % of your habitation battery used in a recharge per ebike.
However it is worth remembering that to keep your habitation batteries from deteriorating quickly, it is necessary to not discharge them below 50% regularly.

Something else to consider if you move the mh around alot on trips away. Fit an inverter (300/500 watt) on the engine battery with a relay which only works while the engine is running for recharging the ebike. This system would help on a non solar power day.
Malcolm

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2019  ·  #15
[/quote]
No. Not at all. Just giving you an idea of the loads involved. Ramblers post appears quite accurate regarding the information you provided. You asked about the difference between 1000 watt and 1500 watt inverter and if they would save your battery. I was just giving an example of what we would consider ordinary appliances and the draw they take at 12 volts as opposed to 230 volts

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2019  ·  #16
Guys please try and quote correctly, few of you making a right pigs ass of it lately (don't take offence 😁 )

guide here:

forum/topic.php?t=4345

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.01.2019  ·  #17
Quote by Ally

Guys please try and quote correctly, few of you making a right pigs ass of it lately (don't take offence 😁 )

guide here:

forum/topic.php?t=4345

Sorry about that chief

derm41
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Bailey advance 66 2
Base Vehicle: Peugeot boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2019  ·  #18
It is a lot of current to charge the battery. I think Bosch made a 12 v charger but discontinued it. Could you buy another battery, should give you better range. We bought two e bikes with the same battery and that lets us do that. Also, you might be able to charge in a pub, if buying lunch

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2019  ·  #19
OK,
If you only want an inverter to charge the bike battery and other lesser stuff like phones and run a tv or sat box, add up the input figures of each and if necessary convert to watts.
Buy a pure sine wave inverter about 20% greater than the total draw at any one time, just to give a bit of a margin.
Mount the inverter as close as possible to the batteries and run mains cable to sockets where the power is required.
The efficiency of an inverter decreases the more it's underused, for example running a 2,000-watt inverter to supply 400 watts is way more inefficient (uses more of your battery) that using a 500-watt one.

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.01.2019  ·  #20
Many thanks to everyone for the very helpful and informative responses. I also gained a lot of excellent info from searching the previous Craicer posts on inverters. I purchased a 1500W pure sine wave inverter today. Probably a bit more than I'll need for charging the bike but I'm sure a hairdryer will appear at some stage. I'll more than likely be calling on the Craicer oracle again shortly for advice on fitting. :up:

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.