Batteries, left out in the cold. Bad parent!

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Re: Batteries, left out in the cold. Bad parent!

· 
Posted: 22.01.2019  ·  #41
Quote by The Rambler

Quote by baguette

Why 13.22 volts ?
Is the battery on charge, is there solar giving it a bit of a trickle charge. A good battery, off charge (rested for about 12 hours) and with no load, should be in the region of 12.7v

You are indeed correct, it was very sunny last Saturday afternoon when I took the screenshot. I saw up to 1 amp coming from the solar controller at one stage.

This screenshot was taken this morning before sunrise, when the battery would have rested all night.

10 days .... 2 days 8 hours
Big difference when the sun don't shine :P

Seriously though, with no charge coming in it is very useful to know what impact stuff being used has on the battery life.
It would be very interesting to see the figure if pulling 100 amps through an inverter for something like a microwave.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

Re: Batteries, left out in the cold. Bad parent!

· 
Posted: 22.01.2019  ·  #42
Yeah, I would expect you’d see the estimated time remaining jump down to tens of minutes if running a microwave. Luckily you only need to run a microwave for a couple of minutes 🧐. I’ve still not had the van on the road since installing the monitor so I’ve decided to keep the battery loaded for at least 24 hours. I am going to keep some lights running for the next day or two. I’m just curious to see how the monitor reports the history of Amp-hours in and out. And I’m curious to see how long it would take the solar to recharge to 100% when I do.

I’ve also had to enter settings in the monitor to derate battery capacity based on temperature. The default value was 0% per degree C. I’ve changed this to 1% per degree C which is typical for lead-acid. So at 15 degrees below 20, I would expect battery capacity to be about 85% below the stated value.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.