Carver Space Heater 2000 Cleaning Advice

AliPhatCamper
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Carver Space Heater 2000 Cleaning Advice

· 
Posted: 06.01.2019  ·  #1
My Motorhome has a Carver Space Heater 2000 fitted as standard and it lights OK and provides heat.

However the heat produced is at best reasonable and seeing as it's a 1995 installation I was wondering if the heat exchanger plates might be sooted up.

There are several "knock outs" at the back of the heater which I think are for blown air heater ducting to suit a larger Motorhome so I suspect the warmth, rather than heat, produced at the moment would be insufficient.

I've Googled this and read extensively but it all relates to lighting problems which I don't have.

Thanks for all replies.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Re: Carver Space Heater 2000 Cleaning Advice

· 
Posted: 06.01.2019  ·  #2
I had one it an old caravan which like yours, lit but it not produce alot of heat. The gas pipe servicing the heater passed under the floor in the chassis from one side of the caravan to the other. After disconnecting both end of the pipe and blowing compressed air through it, it was full of dirt. The dirty lay in the lowest point, reducing the gas flow.
Afterwards the heat was mighty.
Malcolm

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

on Carver Space Heater 2000 Cleaning Advice

· 
Posted: 06.01.2019  ·  #3
Quote by Thorn123

I had one it an old caravan which like yours, lit but it not produce alot of heat. The gas pipe servicing the heater passed under the floor in the chassis from one side of the caravan to the other. After disconnecting both end of the pipe and blowing compressed air through it, it was full of dirt. The dirty lay in the lowest point, reducing the gas flow.
Afterwards the heat was mighty.
Malcolm

I would add to above has it ever been serviced? .I removed one from my Daughter's caravan recently and although it worked ok, I was amazed at the amount of dust etc on the fins which only helps to insulated the heat exchanger ,instead of giving out heat.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.01.2019  ·  #4
I fully agree with previous topics ref servicing,I know of an incident where this clown took his motorhome for its first MOT at four years old only to be turned down for his oil filter being so rusty that it was about to burst.
It was the original that came on the van from new.😯

AliPhatCamper
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.01.2019  ·  #5
Thanks for all the information and I will give it a lash and report back.

Still have the original installation instructions so it should be a case of "Nuns! Reverse! Reverse!"

While Google searching I read a sad Coroner's report from Scotland about a guy who died of Carbon Monoxide poisoning and his wife collapsed.

They were in a caravan, having been evicted, and CO fumes came off the Carver 2000 heater.

It wasn't an original fitting but was positioned within 0.5 metres of floor vents already in the caravan and these should have been sealed as they were too near the flue underneath.

The caravan had been used before for some time by the deceased sister-n-law but a combination of circumstances led to the ingress of CO.

It was parked on long grass and a field-mouse's nest had partially obscured the flue outlet underneath, the weather was calm and the guy's car was parked close to the caravan preventing air current underneath. Circumstances which were reproduced by placing a tarpaulin close to the windward side of the caravan.

The original instructions warn against using the Carver 2000 if snow is banked up in any way around the caravan or Motorhome.

AliPhatCamper
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.01.2019  ·  #6
Reporting back.

Took the heater out and cleaned the radiator fins and blew through the combustion area and all around with compressed air.

Also blew through the gas pipes but, having held a clean white towel over the end, only discovered a speck of dirt.

Put all back in and lit the heater. Could see the gas flame in the sight glass easier and it was blue with no trace of the earlier, less hot, luminous yellow flame. Seemed to be bit more heat which my current wife confirmed.

So reasonably satisfied with my twenty minutes work, ( more like a day and a half).
I had used some penetrating spray on a couple of threads and as the heater warmed up it set off the smoke alarm a couple of times but this has now cleared.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.01.2019  ·  #7
Good going.
May I suggest an upgrade.
Fit a 12 volt fan behind the carver heater to blow out the warm air. An old pc fan should do the trick.
Think of it as a boost function, run it for 20 or 30 minutes, then switch it off the fan
In our old caravan the heater didn't travel too far from the Carver heater due to the lack of air movement hence, why blow heating was developed.
Malcolm

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.