Camper van access to Ticknock?

Aine+Si
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.01.2019  ·  #1
Hi,

Can anyone let us know if there is parking for campervans in Ticknock Co. Wicklow. We want to go mountain biking/hiking for the day and bring the camper van for food and naps for our 7 month old! (i.e. we will not be camping overnight, just asking about day parking...)

Thanks,

Aine + Simon

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Re: Camper van access to Ticknock?

· 
Posted: 05.01.2019  ·  #2
You could have a look at Google Maps Street View, that should show the kind of on-road parking and if there are height barriers to off-road parking. Beware though that the view could be out of date.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.01.2019  ·  #3
That's the main access for the transmitters up on Three Rock so I doubt there will be a height barrier. Maybe post on the Dublin Mountain Partnership page on Facebook?

It's in Dublin by the way.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.01.2019  ·  #4
I would not leave an unattended camper anywhere around the Dublin mountains.
You might check with Jonny Fox's. Or the blue light pub .do you know any Garda who might get you an into Stacks town Golf Club.
There is the Wicklow mountains,there is an Aire outside Laragh., on the Glenmalure road, and the Glenmalure inn.
Both are on the App.

derm41
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Bailey advance 66 2
Base Vehicle: Peugeot boxer
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.01.2019  ·  #5
I was up there last year in a car, along the military road, three cars with windows smashed, only luck it was not mine. I would be very careful

Pugsley
Subject:

June 2020 Update

· 
Posted: 15.06.2020  ·  #6
You can access Ticknock during daylight hours but there is an auto barrier that closed it off at main entrance at night.

About 150 metres from the entrance there is a bike hut where you can hire mountain bikes and there are staff and visitors there most of the day, so fairly safe for campers.

About 1KM up the road there is another barrier to used to access the transmitters. Usually locked but best not to go beyond it as it does get locked and you might end up having to overnight. A lot of walkers and bikers park just outside the barrier, so lots of coming and going and again fairly safe to park.

Alternatively if your van can tackle the steep hill from Stepaside Village to Glencullen there is a small parking spot and forest gate where you access the forests from the other side.

Liked by: eirebus, panda

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.