Buying advice

Alexk
Subject:

Buying advice

· 
Posted: 04.01.2019  ·  #1
Hi all, new here and am thinking of buying our first camper. Am Looking at a Iveco 1st gen (1980s) 2.5l. It has a lot of rust but is apparently dry on inside. 120k on clock. I'm ok with doing superficial bodywork repairs, but is there anything in particular I should be looking out for with this type of vehicle? Thanks in advance for any help and happy new year!

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

Re: Buying advice

· 
Posted: 04.01.2019  ·  #2
Is it a van conversion or coach built? If my memory serves me right the the body on the Daily is built on a separate chassis so that should be ok if I am right.

Alexk
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2019  ·  #3
The side door is not sliding and there are no rear doors so I'm guessing it's coachbuilt

Alexk
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2019  ·  #4
Is there much advantage to being coachbuilt?

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.01.2019  ·  #5
Make sure it has a current CVRT cert as rust is good at getting you failed

Siomyk
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.01.2019  ·  #6
Hi all need some help, we bought a bus for conversion and have discovered that the floor is wood with no metal sheet protection. Has anyone else found this? We don't know whether to take the floor up completely and lay sheet metal or leave as is as it was manufactured that way. Advice please.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.01.2019  ·  #7
Quote by Siomyk

Hi all need some help, we bought a bus for conversion and have discovered that the floor is wood with no metal sheet protection. Has anyone else found this? We don't know whether to take the floor up completely and lay sheet metal or leave as is as it was manufactured that way. Advice please.

Be careful regarding weight. You will find that you may exceed the designed weight for the vehicle if you start adding heavy materials, fittings and extras. Also, if you have a licence issued after a certain date you will be restricted to 3.5 tonnes unless your licence has the C1 rating. Lots to consider.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Buying advice

· 
Posted: 05.01.2019  ·  #8
Quote by Siomyk

Hi all need some help, we bought a bus for conversion and have discovered that the floor is wood with no metal sheet protection. Has anyone else found this? We don't know whether to take the floor up completely and lay sheet metal or leave as is as it was manufactured that way. Advice, please.

What's wrong with a wooden floor, I would think first examine if it is in need of repair or replacement and start from there, the underside can be sealed but wood also needs to breathe or it will rot. is it damp?

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.01.2019  ·  #9
Quote by Siomyk

I wouldn't touch that wooden floor if it is alright, I guarantee the quality of a bus wooden floor is far superior to any Motorhome, look at the traffic and weight it has to contend with.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.01.2019  ·  #10
Likewise, I would agree with the above, if the floor is sound and rot free, it will be fine.
It would be the metal structure underneath the floor than I would be more concerned about. Is that rust free?
The original seats would have been bolted down through the wooden floor into the steel frame underneath. These holes may need to be filled with weld to stop future cracking.
Malcolm

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.