Irish channels on satellite

nipper
Screwed
Subject:

Irish channels on satellite

· 
Posted: 20.09.2012  ·  #1
Anyone know if the Irish channels are on any of the satellites, perhaps some version of freesat. I know most of them are on Sky, but only if a subscription is paid. I read somewhere they plan to add them to freeview once the switchover is complete.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

Re: Irish channels on satellite

· 
Posted: 20.09.2012  ·  #2
Quote by nipper

Anyone know if the Irish channels are on any of the satellites, perhaps some version of freesat. I know most of them are on Sky, but only if a subscription is paid. I read somewhere they plan to add them to freeview once the switchover is complete.

Irish channels will never be free on wide beam satellite, However the new spot beam satellites due to come air in the near future have a narrow band transmitters to allow free to air beams directed at the RoI which will be know as Saorsat.
Unlike Freesat which is on small footprint transmitter but still receivable outside the national boundaries of The UK, NI and the RoI the Saorsat for RoI stations will only be receivable in the RoI.
The reason is due to the fact that Irish TV providers only pay royalties based on our population, if the signal was receivable free outside of the RoI non home-made content would be prohibitively expensive, this is also the reason for the current encryption of the existing transmissions.

nipper
Screwed
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2012  ·  #3
will Saorsat be a subscription service?

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2012  ·  #4
Quote by nipper

will Saorsat be a subscription service?

Saor means free in the Irish Language, Saorsat = Freesat.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2012  ·  #5
Freesat may be free but you don't get all that you would on the FTA boxes. The main things i have found which are missing are Sky news, ITV+1 and ITV HD. Not sure of the reason for sky news but UTV wont subscribe to the Freesat head office so any NI address will only have UTV. You get around this by putting in a postcode for another ITV region and hey presto you have ITV+1 and ITV HD and no Julian Simmons and Frank Mitchel :fgrin: :fgrin:

I cant really say what I get on the FTA built into my tv as I have only watched about an hours worth of tv in 5 months as I have been outside relaxing (some say sleeping/unconcious)

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2012  ·  #6
free my ass it will probably cost e80 for the decoder we do not do free (saor ) here :bandit:

digger
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Mirage 6000
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2012  ·  #7
What' s wrong with Julian Simmons????
I think he's a lovely boy :sick: :sick:

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2012  ·  #8
hes like an umpa lumpa on steroids, to be able to see him on tv you have to adjust the colour and contrast! He took the advertising slogan "the futures bright the futures orange" too literally :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2012  ·  #9
We ger itv+1 on freesat in the motorhome..

nipper
Screwed
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2012  ·  #10
I get itv+1 & itvHD on my built in freesat receiver

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.09.2012  ·  #11
Is it freesat on a freesat box or FTA on a sky box? The freesat box I have in the house doesn't have itv+1 etc and when I looked into why not it's because utv wouldn't pay the licence fee for the freesat listing. But I haven't looked at the built in FTA on the mh tv

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2012  ·  #12
Quote by eirebus

free my ass it will probably cost e80 for the decoder we do not do free (saor ) here :bandit:

€49.95

magic

Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2012  ·  #13
€€€€€€€€€€ press ctrl + Alt + 4 on the keyboard baguette and that pops up the euro symbol even though its not labelled on the keyboard.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.09.2012  ·  #14
Quote by magic

€€€€€€€€€€ press ctrl + Alt + 4 on the keyboard baguette and that pops up the euro symbol even though its not labelled on the keyboard.

I don't understand, what is the point of your post to me.

And, BTW FWIW on my keyboard the € symbol is printed on the 4 key which also has the $ sign which is accessed by using the 'shift' key, for the € sign, I prefer to access it using the 'alt gr' key on its own :-)

OT I know but if entering sat nav co-ordinated the ° symbol for degrees is accessed by first setting the 'num lk' if there isn't a separate number pad, next while holding the 'alt' key down enter 0176 (using the number keys within the alpha section of the pad if there isn't a separate numeric pad, you don't use the ones across the top) then release the 'alt' key to show the ° :up:

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

FREESAT

· 
Posted: 22.09.2012  ·  #15
For the record UTV is available on Freesat if you enter a Northern Ireland post code!
RTE is available free to air from satellite at 9 degrees east on the KA band!
UTV+ 1 is only available on terrestial transmissions, same ITV +1

nipper
Screwed
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.09.2012  ·  #16
I guess we're all having different experiences depending on what we use on the receiving end. My TV has the sat receiver built in but once I set it up for freesat on Astra 2 I'm reluctant to tune to anything else in case I mess up the settings. I've tried to read more regarding other satellites, Hotbird etc but haven’t really got any useful info. Anybody on here use a different satellite?

Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.09.2012  ·  #17
Quote by willie

For the record UTV is available on Freesat if you enter a Northern Ireland post code!
RTE is available free to air from satellite at 9 degrees east on the KA band!
UTV+ 1 is only available on terrestial transmissions, same ITV +1

I am getting ITV +1 on freesat in the van.
If you are using freesat from sky it may be different as it is not quite the same.

Bob
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2012  ·  #18
i get ITV+1 on freesat also.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2012  ·  #19
Is it a Bangor thing :lol: :lol: that you can get it on freesat. On the serious side are you both using a Freesat box and have you entered a NI postcode. The freesat box I use in the house does not have ITV+1 on the freesat menu listing nor does it have ITVHD when I have put in a NI postcode, I can however get other channels which dont appear on the menu system when I switch the box over to "free to air" including sky news. On the FTA which is built into the tv in the MH I can get the missing channels. When I moved over from Sky to freesat I knew I would have to make a choice over UTV or ITV and firstly I put in an English postcode and didnt get UTV but got the ITV+1 and ITVHD. Now swmbo wants to watch Lesser Spotted Ulster so have put in the local postcode and I now have UTV but no +1 or HD version.

nipper
Screwed
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2012  ·  #20
do you have to put a postcode in to both your sets, home & motorhome?

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2012  ·  #21
Only in the house one as the system which is built into the tv in the MH is Free To Air and not freesat. The freesat system has a menu system similar to that on the sky box and the Free To Air doesn't

Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.09.2012  ·  #22
Ah. I think ours could be free to air. I only get ITV+1 in the van as we are still using sky in the house. (not for much longer)
As I mentioned freesat from sky is not the same as what we use in the van. I do have a sky box in the van too but cannot remember when I last used it.

I don't need to put postcodes in on the van system and can move the channels into an order I want. I also get UTV on it.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.09.2012  ·  #23
That's free to air, the freesat system doesn't allow for moving channels into an order, apart from setting favourites like sky.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.