Squidge
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Advice on buying

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #1
Hi, having spent the past year looking into converting a van into a camper I have now decided that life is too short to be spending time converting and stressing over log books etc.
So I’m actively looking for a camper/Motorhome. My criteria are 3/4 berth with 3 seatbelts. Fixed double bed. Toilet/shower cooking facilities. Heating as I will be using it in winter aswell. I’ve a Car license.
There is a large amount of potential campers for sale plus I don’t mind going to the uk or continent to get the right one.
What else should I be looking for as this is a lifetime decision and I don’t want to end up with a lemon. Length wise is it cheaper for ferries if it is under 6m?
My budget is €25000 with a little wriggle room for the correct Motorhome.
Regards Gerard

JonMac46
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Globetrotter 1999 Ducato 2.8 idTD
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Advice on buying

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #2
I had not owned a camper before, so I decided to buy a pre-loved one from a dealer. I was worried that I would not be able to recognise defects. I am very happy with my dealer. The van is a 1999 Dethleffs but is still going strong.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #3
I too bought from a dealer, knowing nothing about campers, except that every private one I looked at, had some issue. In fairness most of these people pointed out the issues, but said, “Ah sure I never bothered with that”. In hindsight, some things would have been no problem, unlike the fella who told me the fridge didn’t work on gas, but sure I’d never use it on gas anyway !!
If you can get one from a reputable dealer, you should be ok

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #4
You don't say where you are. If you're within driving range of Birdhill in Co Tipperary Anchor Point Motorhomes have their annual open days on the 27th and 28th of December. They are great to talk to without any pressure to buy. All their stock will be open so you can sit down check the layout and get the feel of different types of vans.

Squidge
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #5
Thanks, consensus seems to be go with a dealer. I suppose the higher price tag gives you the peace of mind with warranty etc.
I am based in Drogheda Louth but might take the trip down to birdhill on the 27th for the open day.
Regards Gerard

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #6
Carroll and mc cauley in Dublin sell vans in your price range too but Anchorpoint and Donaghys are probably the best

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #7
That is where I bought mine. Anchorpoint. Found James and David very straight to deal with. And you will get a warranty as well. Don’t be put off by an older number plate buy the layout suits you, that’s the main thing. Also it appears as if some, not all, of the newer vans are not as well put together as the older ones, judging from what you will read on here. I have found Motorhomes to be a bit like boats,, always something that could be improved upon, to spend your money on, but perfectly usable as they are. Happy hunting

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #8
My advice is to look at as many layouts as you can, imagine/pretend to make a cup of tea, cook the dinner, use the facilities etc. My first one was bought thinking it was the perfect one and I soon found out that the shower was a little on the small side for my svelte figure.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #9
eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #10
That's a nice van although the boss wouldn't like that bathroom window

tmjc!
Craic'er
My Motorhome: None currently🥲
Base Vehicle: Between Vehicles
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #11
You could also benefit from a phone call to Pat Horan. Whilst no current stock match your criteria he may have stuff coming in the New Year

Bounder
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: 2015 Adria 640 SHX
Base Vehicle: Ducato X250 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #12
I didn't have a great experience in Anchorpoint, I was looking at a few and they pointed me towards one that they were willing to do a deal on, I could have paid for it then and there but something didn't sit right with me about it, I went back a couple of days later and crawled underneath and the timber battening around the edge was rotten.
I know lots have had good experiences there but that kind of tactic put me off them, I would have had at most one good year out of it and then been stuck with a damp rotten camper.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #13
We bought ours privately. We were looking for about 3 months and had planned on viewing 2 in one day after an early morning lecture. Turns out the guy beside me on the same course was selling one. I had a look at it on the way home that morning and could see past it's faults and bought without even starting it.

A bit chancy but he had it serviced in Maynooth for €3k before he went to France for 3 months where it was parked on a site for the whole time.
We've been lucky, I'm good mechanically so that side of things doesn't bother me. It took us weeks to figure out how some of the gizmos worked but we're happy with it.

Bring some one who knows what they are looking at and if they say walk, keep going.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #14
I’m surprised by that tbh. Were they offering a warranty on it. As far as I know, their warranty covers absolutely everything. It did on mine anyway

Stacks
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Argos A660
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #15
From my experience don't ever assume a van purchased from any dealer has nothing nasty going on with it. Whether buying privately or from a dealer, bring someone with you, take your time, use all your senses to see if anything does not seem right and don't let the dealer dictate or distract you. The reason you pay more buying from a dealer is the warranty. But even if a dealer will sort out a damp issue for example, who wants a repaired van!? Be careful and take your time. There are so many damp vans out there.

AliPhatCamper
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #16
I don't think you're too far from Thompson Leisure in Dromore, Co. Down. See their website.

They have 4 open Saturdays in Jan19 with entertainment which you cab book. Free fish supper and all!

No connection to me but a great display.

Whatever you look at ensure that it has enough seat belts for your needs so tha you don't end up buying a 4 berth with only 2 belts, for example.

Bounder
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #17
Out of all the vans I looked at the first one I saw was the best, a 1993/4 Euramobil, it had been owned by a young couple that had just returned from touring Europe and it was in great condition for its age.
I didn't know any better at that stage and some other guy bid 500 more than me and got it, I saw it about a year later on DD and it was ruined inside.
The next 6 or 8 vans I looked at were all rotten and damp, even when asked straight out many claimed to be damp free but after driving 4 or 5 hours the panelling was peeling off walls etc.
I got peed off after that and stopped looking because all the vans that I could see were bad, even late model stuff 06 and onwards.
Finally bought privately in Germany.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #18
I never bought from a dealer, I bought two excellent Motorhomes privately. If you can lay your hands on a good van privately at the right price especially when you haven’t a trade in you could save thousands. People are of the opinion that if they buy from a dealer that the van is in good condition, that is bull. If I trade my van in to a dealer you will probably pay €5000 more than if you bought it off me still the same Motorhome. Also if I trade in a heap of sh1t they are also going to sell it to someone. If you have any friends involved in motorhome clubs, occasionally some fine vans come up for sale by members retiring from Motorhoming and the good thing is members know the history and how reliable fello members vans are. We bought our present van from a lady who’s husband died and it was too big for her to drive.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #19
There is no perfect wagon out there.
The layout is the key to the lifestyle that you want to experience.
A simple thing, for surfers or mucky kids, is the shower head long enough to go out the window and to rince the muck and sand outside.
My advice is visit the biggest dealer that you can find. Firstly decide on what size camper that you will feel comfortable with driving and also your other half. Unless they are willing to drive it, the camper will only move when you're not working.
Left or right hand drive. Left hand drive have a cleaner left side, less banging off bushes etc.
When in the big dealer, try to understand their pricing structure, some older wagons are commanding top prices because they are really good sellers, while newer models may be cheaper due to poor design.
Like a house, a damp mh/camper will smell damp. If it is reeking of bleach or airfresher, close the door and walk away, it is damp.
Get yourself a few copies of a mh magazine, practical motorhome would be my favourite, your local newsagent can order them in from Easons.
Just a few tips for thoughts.
Malcolm

Squidge
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #20
Great advice and tips all round. I’ve been to Carroll and McCauley and Thompson’s earlier on in the year. Thompson’s I found helpful but they didn’t have anything I loved 100%. I will try them again next week plus Donagheys. Won’t go back to Carroll and McCauley just didn’t like the vibe I was getting.
I’ve printed off about 30 motorhomes both dealer and private and have been sifting through them. I was talking to somebody who was into motorhoming and he told me to bring a moisture detector when checking out the Motorhomes. He also told me the different areas to concentrate on regarding leaks, seals etc. YouTube has been very informative aswell.
Unfortunately or fortunately depending on what way you look at it I retired a few years ago due to ill health. I’m now turning 47 so hopefully a few years motorhoming in me still fingers crossed. This means that I’m relatively free during the year taking into account wife, teenage son and a couple of other commitments. I quite fancy chasing the sun for a few weeks during the winter on the continent.
I have to be very careful in that I don’t get a damp Motorhome.
Regards Gerard

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #21
Hi Gerard
Good luck for your future plans and you certainly have come to the right forum for information.
The best advice that I could offer you is never feel compelled to rush into completing on a deal,always take someone with motorhome experience with you and also just because it looks mint does not mean that it is.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #22
And equally important is what under the bonnet.
Modern diesel engines can give alot of trouble. More horsepower is produced by fitting bigger turbo and bigger injectors. Emissions are been controlled by erg valves, dpf filters, ad blue ,etc. All stuff that throws up warning lights and limp mode.
There are some very good uk based owner forums on vans, fiat, ford, Renault, etc.
It is well worth researching the base van part of a camper as well as the house bit.
If you know a caravan owner, they will be able to advise you on a mh purchase because after all a mh is a caravan and a van married together.
Malcolm

Bounder
Craic Addict
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #23
I ended up buying a factory van conversion, after looking at so many coachbuilts that had sealing problems rightly or wrongly I had lost confidence in their ability to withstand Irish roads and the flexing that occurs on them. And then damp getting in the seams.
Not saying my decision was right or wrong but I just felt that a steel van body was better for me and the family.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #24
Our Chausson coachbuild is recommended to reseal the side skirts, rear bumper and around the cab every 5 years. Roof joint trims and window frames sealant to be replaced every 10 years.
Very few dealers or owners, tell you this.
Malcolm

Squidge
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 24.12.2018  ·  #25
Thanks, I really like the look of the Adria but way over my price range. Good to know about the resealing every few years as that is the first time I’ve heard about it.
Regards Gerard

AliPhatCamper
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.12.2018  ·  #26
Is there a special sealant that is used for sealing?

Normal sealants cure and lose their flexibility.

Could anyone suggest a product including trade name?

Thank you.

Eyore
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Homebuilt Campervan.
Base Vehicle: Citroen Relay
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.12.2018  ·  #27
We bought an 05 Romahome factory van conversion privately for the reasons mentioned above regarding damp. Its been perfect and reliable with no hidden issues. The Citroen/Peugot/ Fiat engine is basic and simple. We just had the timing belt done and a full service. Roll on 2019.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.12.2018  ·  #28
Quote by AliPhatCamper

Thank you.

Sikaflex 221
Worth bond & seal

The above two seem to be used in the trade,

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.12.2018  ·  #29
Quote by mad max

Quote by AliPhatCamper

Thank you.

Sikaflex 221
Worth bond & seal

The above two seem to be used in the trade,

Soudasol RV61. I find is easier used than both those products.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 25.12.2018  ·  #30
Have not heard of that stuff before 👍🏻👍🏻

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.12.2018  ·  #31
None of them work on humans! I tried all three on my mother in law, and nothing on this earth will seal her lips.

Unless of course, you know better.....

Squidge
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.12.2018  ·  #32
I went down to Anchor point and Pat Horan and had a good look at layouts etc. I think the Campervan high top conversion is the best choice for my needs. So I've been looking online and seen a couple that might fit the bill.
Just wondering if any members have bought from Vantastic camper conversions in Wexford. I can only find a UK based company of same name. I'm really looking for reviews etc. as being new to this I'm not sure of the good from the bad.
Regards Gerard.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.12.2018  ·  #33
I haven’t heard of Vantastic. Vanderlust in Ennistymon have a good reputation though. I popped down to their workshop during the summer to pick up an impossible to send via post 12 foot awning rail. I could see them working on about 5 van conversions. It was good to see where the magic happens.

johnnymac
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Adria 660SP
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.12.2018  ·  #34
Quote by The Rambler

I haven’t heard of Vantastic. Vanderlust in Ennistymon have a good reputation though. I popped down to their workshop during the summer to pick up an impossible to send via post 12 foot awning rail. I could see them working on about 5 van conversions. It was good to see where the magic happens.

I bought an awning from them and they fitted it for me and I was also impressed by the work they were doing there. They seem to me to be very good at van conversions.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.12.2018  ·  #35
I haven't heard of Vantastic Campers in Wexford only this crowd in Drinagh just outside Wexford town. https://happycampers.ie/ They do nice work but don't do shower or toilet installations, more of a day van setup. There was a scam crowd called Nutshell Motorhomes supposed to be trading from Camolin earlier this year so be careful.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 30.12.2018  ·  #36
Quote by Flipperdipper

I haven't heard of Vantastic Campers in Wexford only this crowd in Drinagh just outside Wexford town. https://happycampers.ie/ They do nice work but don't do shower or toilet installations, more of a day van setup. There was a scam crowd called Nutshell Motorhomes supposed to be trading from Camolin earlier this year so be careful.

There is also Newline-Camper-Conversions .

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.