Help

Advice

whitesands 2
Subject:

Help

· 
Posted: 16.12.2018  ·  #1
Wish I new of this site months ago. So I bought a camper recently. It’s an 2007 6 berth seemed spotless, walls seemed fine all hard to soft spots anywhere inside units or at water tank or bathroom, roof same, outside all looks spotless. I have being busy since I purchased it so hadn’t got time to give it a good check over just had it parked in my shed. However the other day I got on my overalls and had a crawl undeneet said I would check spare wheel in case it was seized on wench etc, But to my horror I noticed some white spots in the timber so stared to poke and my horror was reveled the floor is soft rotten in places. At the back ah bit which I didn’t investigate full yet. So under the the locker where gas is stored all rotten. So I took out the unit above it and started to remove all the rotten timber. I’m just hoping the side walls are ok. I’m gutted about this to say the least barely able to type. So I’m wondering has anyone ever had this problem. I don’t mine if I have to take out every unit till I have a empty camper and pull up the whole floor and replace it because I plan on keeping it for a good few years. But my fear is the side walls if there gone to what do I do. Also I bought this private but it was sold from a camper dealer 2 year ago with a habitation cert could this get that bad in 2 years. Sorry about the long winded story but I’m just gutted at the min. Thanks in advance

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Help

· 
Posted: 16.12.2018  ·  #2
Right.
You’ve made the first step and joined up here.
I can’t offer any meaningful help other than to stay positive, it CAN be sorted.
There will be others along shortly to offer advice and help, one of our very senior members has issues with damp and no doubt will be able to offer you advice, repairers, and the route to take.
The main thing is to get it sorted properly and hopefully you’ll have a motorhome for years to come.

Also, post up the area of the country you are from so others can recommend folk to talk to.
On an aside, you’re welcome to Motorhomecraic...

whitesands 2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2018  ·  #3
Thanks for your reply. I’m hoping it can be sorted lord what a feeling to discover this, But anyway I am where I am just need to get cracking I guess. Thanks again 👍

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2018  ·  #4
Get the dealer who did the habitation check to do another one, he'll tell you the extent of the problem, as JJF has said your county name might help

And welcome to the Craic

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2018  ·  #5
Sorry to read of your problem, it would seem to me that you vehicle has been standing on a damp surface with no ventilation. Before you take it apart, stand it in a well ventilated enviroment like a big covered hay shed and let it dry out, then you will see the extent you will need to go to to make your repair. But dont go putting on underseal or the likes until the summer when you are sure it is bone dry as you will only seal the damp in.

whitesands 2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2018  ·  #6
Thanks guys. I’m nr Kilkenny

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 524
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2018  ·  #7
eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2018  ·  #8
Anchorpoint motorhomes in Birdhill, Tipperary do a very good reputable habitation check at a reasonable cost ( Advert on here.)

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Help

· 
Posted: 16.12.2018  ·  #9
There are some positive points in your post. That you may not realise . you put your overalls on and found and located some problems and then remove the units. That tell me you are on the right road to saving yourself a lot of fund's in being able to sort them yourself, carry on and get the correct advice on how to fix them properly and recognize when you need professional help.
The best of luck with it.

whitesands 2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2018  ·  #10
Thanks sprinter. Yes would tackle most things myself so hopefully can fix it just worried about walls. Just sickening to shell out a ball of money and now look at it half pulled apart in my shed 😂. Anyway hopefully not for long.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.12.2018  ·  #11
Quote by whitesands 2

Thanks sprinter. Yes would tackle most things myself so hopefully can fix it just worried about walls. Just sickening to shell out a ball of money and now look at it half pulled apart in my shed 😂. Anyway hopefully not for long.

You are not the first person to fall into this scenario but you will get it fixed.
Just ask plenty of questions as you go and good luck for the end result.

oldautotrailer
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: autohomes windfall
Base Vehicle: 1999 peugeot boxer 1.9td
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2018  ·  #12
sorry to hear of your woes! just wondering is the spot where you found the damp floor positioned after the rear axle because it might be road splash from the rear wheels so it might be confined to outer floor section so maybe a good drying and then a good check over.

whitesands 2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2018  ·  #13
Thanks. No it is in the front right hand corner. In the locker that contains the gas bottles. Also the baton that runs along the bottom of side wall. Anybody know what type of timber is used in those batons.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2018  ·  #14
When I got my old bus I bought 2 of those thin brown mats with the rubberised back and pop riveted them, after cutting to size. to the bottom of the back mudguards, keeping brown side out to catch the spray and it has been working now for 15 years. It also helps keep the vans sides a little cleaner. I got my mats in Lidl but most Pound type stores will have similar,also any screws or bolts underneath, like the spare wheel fixings and also dont forget the jack screw, should be coated with Copperslip or a similar product, Grease will dry out. If I was repairing ,I would try and get some old pine and mill it to size as new wood is kiln dryed and retains water. The demolition recycling places would be a good bet

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.12.2018  ·  #15
Just remembered, Ash if you can get it ,This is what all the old coaches and buses were built with ,been used in coachbuilding for a hundred years.

whitesands 2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2018  ·  #16
Ash. Ok thanks for that 👍

AliPhatCamper
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2018  ·  #17
Morgan cars have a frame built from ash but the chassis is made from steel.

Hurley sticks are made from ash.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2018  ·  #18
Probably any hard wood would do I would imagine, Mahogany used to be used in Cattle truck bodies and it lasted for years in a fairly harsh environment.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2018  ·  #19
All this talk of Ash and Mahogany and sensible wood like that. You all don't really know what you're talking about. Sure the Motorhome industry use UNTREATED WHITE WOOD so that must be the best job for it?

whitesands 2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2018  ·  #20
Ok. Well I’m stripping it back and yes timber seems like that and ply. Water damage seems to come from bottom up rather than down. Need to replace two uprights up about a ft seems solid from there and bottom beam between these two.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2018  ·  #21
Quote by Ally

All this talk of Ash and Mahogany and sensible wood like that. You all don't really know what you're talking about. Sure the Motorhome industry use UNTREATED WHITE WOOD so that must be the best job for it?

Well Card Board soaked in Burnt oil would probably outlast what they are using

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2018  ·  #22
Quote by whitesands 2

Ok. Well I’m stripping it back and yes timber seems like that and ply. Water damage seems to come from bottom up rather than down. Need to replace two uprights up about a ft seems solid from there and bottom beam between these two.

With your description of the damage, it has just occurred to me a possible location for your leak.
You need to check on the outside wall , where it meets the plastic side skirt, that the sealant has not broken down.
When rain hits the side wall, it flows down the wall, onto the plastic side skirt and falls to the ground. However if the sealant has broken down, between the wall and side skirt, the water continues to the bottom of the wall. At this point it meets the floor, allowing the water to soak along the underside of the floor. Also over time the timber beams in the wall will slowly soak the water in.
I hopes that will help you.
Malcolm

whitesands 2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.12.2018  ·  #23
Thanks for that info very valid point. It seems very like that situation. The bottom beam around it seems to be rotten in places. It’s a nightmare if working away stripping it out it’s going to take time. Does anybody know if the interior wall board can be bought in any of the camper garages.

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.12.2018  ·  #24
whitesands 2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.12.2018  ·  #25
Thanks Chevy lots of info in that link appreciate.👍

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.