StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

Aire etiquette

· 
Posted: 07.12.2018  ·  #1
The thing with most Aires is that you can’t prebook them, first come first served and all that. With this in mind knowing the aire I am on now is very popular I asked on a MH Spain Facebook group how busy was the aire and was advised it had plenty of space so we decided to get here before the 6&8th public holidays. Found a nice spot all was good. Anyway on Wednesday and then yesterday the aire really filled up. I was sat in my van when a British person decided to park right next to me and I mean right next to me. Amanda went out asked then not to park so close as we would not be able to open our only cab door which is on the opposite side to our hab door. The lady passenger was very rude and said we should just use our hab door, Amanda pointed out we would not be able to open our windows or garage door and pointed out a large empty space but they didn’t want to park there as it was in the shade. The chap started being rude and offensive to Amanda at this point so I put down my beer and walked up to the chap and told him that parking so close to us wasn’t an option being rude and offensive was not sensible, he went on to say that in 15 years he has been motorhoming he has never met such selfish people who weren’t prepared to share space. To cut a long story short he left the aire and afterwards a number of other motorhome owners of different nations said we did the right thing and it wasn’t safe to park so close.
Now I’m all for helping people out but if as in this case there was an alternative albeit in the shade then bollocks to them.
Anyway the aire is in Rota near Cadiz actually it is a Carpark next to the aire. If you’re are passing and want to hello I’m here but don’t expect me to move for you.
I was parked between the red lines but the person on my left parked right up to his line leaving less than 3 m in the gap between us which by the way is standard practice for this Carpark.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Aire etiquette

· 
Posted: 07.12.2018  ·  #2
AHH the herding instinct, see it sometimes.
Some people just think they can do whatever the hell they like without any regard for anyone else.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.12.2018  ·  #3
Below is a good photo which shows a reasonable gap, like in the photo I've seen this type of spacing on many many Aires, the rule of thumb seems to be to leave about 2 metres or a little less between vans.
The 2 metres max is a decent enough space, while at the same time being too narrow to allow pr1cks like your 'friend' to squeeze in.
Incidentally, the same thought process was behind the layout in Cobh.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.12.2018  ·  #4
Be some reception if said fellow motorhomer lands in Doonbeg in summer of 2019 😂😂😂

Good on ya Jamie,

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.12.2018  ·  #5
I have seen the same behaviour on open plan campsites.
The offending party are unable to see, the timber poles or burnt grass marking out each pitch . Often seen a caravan parked on the edge, and then the water and waste tanks are plonked onto the neighbouring pitch. Heard from mates of mine who regularly use commercial campsites, that this behaviour is out of control with tents because the tents have gotten so big, now.
There are plenty of muppets out there.
Malcolm

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.12.2018  ·  #6
Quote by Thorn123

There are plenty of muppets out there.
Malcolm

Never bring a Muppet with you, you'll find one when you get there.

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.12.2018  ·  #7
I alway's try to have a good distance to my nearest neighbour when on an Aire....I never understood those who try and park as close as possible.....Muppet's alright.

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.12.2018  ·  #8
What gets me is the ‘herd mentality’ ......
Go on an empty aire (France usually) and park up..... another van arrives and parks so close that you can hear each other breathe !...... and the place is empty 🤬🤬
Why ?
What’s wrong with people?

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.12.2018  ·  #9
I like Baguette s 2M rule not enough space for another van to fit in 👍

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.12.2018  ·  #10
The aire at Rota is unusual in that the official marked aire has 4 metre wide bays and on one side you park back to the curb on the other side there is room for 4 or 5 vans to park horizontal to the curb. However there is a multi use car park where people park across the bays on the edges and in the middle rows the norm is to park in the bays which are on a 45degree angle but within the 3 metre marked bays leave a 3 metre gap and then the next van. I have been here 4 or 5 times now and this is normal practice. One of the reasons I like this aire plenty of space. Now this fine as long as you don’t try and get another MH in the vacant bays. Unlike the chap who wanted to hear me breathing.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.