Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Voluntary CVRT

· 
Posted: 28.11.2018  ·  #1

Was at my preferred CVRT test Centre in Wicklow town this morning with Daisy.

Cannot recommend the place highly enough

Whilst there I saw this notice.
For €50 + VAT they'll do a Voluntary CVRT test, ie a test without the Certificate so you know the current state of your MH. Can be done at anytime before the CVRT expiry.

It would be great as a pre test so any issues won't show up as advisories of fails and also for peace of mind when selling. Not every test centre does this but check in advance and tell them it's a Voluntary Test.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Voluntary CVRT

· 
Posted: 28.11.2018  ·  #2
My only experience of the CVRT is only of passing (thank god) so I'm not sure about the retest process but based on the experience of the NCT, a pre-test isn't worth a damn.

You could pass this voluntary test every day for a week followed by the real test a day later, if they find something to fail you on in the real test, they will fail you and you'll need a retest, they'll not give a damn about your voluntary test. The money you spent on the voluntary test would have paid for your retest, obviously any work to fix the defect would have to be paid for too.

It's got some value if buying/selling and I get that if there's something big they can flag it early, the only time this would make a difference is if the job is too big to get done in the retest window or if you were planning a trip immediately after the test.

In the NCT, they have a voluntary early test option where you can simply get your car tested early and get a cert based on that date. Something like this would be more valuable, test it at a time of your own choosing, pass and get a cert for one or two years from the date of the test depending on the age of the vehicle.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2018  ·  #3
In this instance the Voluntary Test is being undertaken in an approved test centre with the approved equipment by the authorised testers.

I put it up here for those who might be interested in availing of this service, not slighting it.

Chevy g20
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2018  ·  #4
In the North I just book the test ( around 30 quid), see what it fails on, repair and retest at around 19.00. Its cheaper than a mechanic saying they might turn it down on this that or the other. The mot only classes the vehicle as road worthy at the time of the test. I had 2 occassions where they shook the dung out of it in the vibration test and a spring broke a few days later.

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2018  ·  #5
Quote by Eamonn

In this instance the Voluntary Test is being undertaken in an approved test centre with the approved equipment by the authorised testers.

I put it up here for those who might be interested in availing of this service, not slighting it.

Apologies if it came across like that but a voluntary test where they issue a 12 or 24 month cert should you pass just seems like a more valuable service.

Quote by Chevy g20

In the North I just book the test ( around 30 quid), see what it fails on, repair and retest at around 19.00. Its cheaper than a mechanic saying they might turn it down on this that or the other. The mot only classes the vehicle as road worthy at the time of the test. I had 2 occassions where they shook the dung out of it in the vibration test and a spring broke a few days later.

This would be my philosophy too

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2018  ·  #6
Quote by <BM>

Quote by Eamonn

Apologies if it came across like that but a voluntary test where they issue a 12 or 24 month cert should you pass just seems like a more valuable service.

Quote by Chevy g20

This would be my philosophy too

I do wonder why the MOT rules are different (Read less Strict) in NI than in the rest of the UK and if you had a MOT in NI and then bought it over to the UK for an extended period you would have to have it retested
:-/

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2018  ·  #7
My understanding of voluntary testing, is that it is to complement the 12/13 week maintenance schedule for commercial van and truck operators.
Some of these guys could be covering up to 250,000 per year which in turn leads to more frequent breakdowns and systems failures.
By testing your vehicle more often, worn parts are picked up sooner and replaced. It also allows operators to budget for future repairs, an example being, a 18 months old truck in a voluntary test is starting to lose some handbrake holding power, but the ware pad indicators have not been activated. This allows the truck owner to budget and schedule the necessary repairs for a future date, before an accident happens.
The second point for this voluntary test, is because of the amount of computerisation now in trucks and vans, a rolling road is sometimes needed to confirm calibrations and software updates. A rolling road is beyond most mechanics finances, outside of main dealers, so this voluntary testing fills the gap.
Malcolm

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2018  ·  #8
Quote by heanorboy

I do wonder why the MOT rules are different (Read less Strict) in NI than in the rest of the UK and if you had a MOT in NI and then bought it over to the UK for an extended period you would have to have it retested
:-/

I find that a very strange view.

English MOT's are well known to be far less strict than NI, is there any proper MOT centres in GB yet? Or is it still done in local garages?

GB MOT garages are well known for doing work that isn't necessary as they want to make extra money.

When buying Cars from GB we more or less ignore the MOT certificate as it can't be trusted.

Also, the NI MOT last for 12 months in GB so not sure what you mean about it being retested.

Have you got it the wrong way round ? 🤔😁

If you are ever stuck for an MOT certificate, any amount of people in GB can get you one for £90, a legit one without a test.

I think the beauty of the NI system is the guys doing the test have no reason to turn it down unless totally necessary as they don't work on cars so don't make anything extra by doing that.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2018  ·  #9
Quote by Eamonn

........................................For €50 + VAT they'll do a Voluntary CVRT test, ie a test without the Certificate so you know the current state of your MH. Can be done at anytime before the CVRT expiry....................................................

Quote by <BM>

.............................................In the NCT, they have a voluntary early test option where you can simply get your car tested early and get a cert based on that date. Something like this would be more valuable, test it at a time of your own choosing, pass and get a cert for one or two years from the date of the test depending on the age of the vehicle.

Personally, I would prefer to spend the €61.50 on a re-test, if needed.

Like the NCT you can get an early test without the anniversary date been reset if the test is done not earlier than 30 days before the due date.
The reason for the shorter period, it's 90 days in advance for an NCT test, is because motorhomes are lumped in with commercials which can do 250,000 in a year :(

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2018  ·  #10
Ally I would have agreed with you 2017 but new rules came in in 2018 making it much tougher, including not being allowed to drive it away if there is a major fault

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2018  ·  #11
Same in NI, major fault it gets impounded, not sure of the conditions but I think has to be trailored to someone who can fix it.

My point is, the garage in GB has more to gain by not letting it drive home. They will be doing the work.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2018  ·  #12
Quote by heanorboy

Ally I would have agreed with you 2017 but new rules came in in 2018 making it much tougher, including not being allowed to drive it away if there is a major fault

Not being allowed to drive it away because of a major fault has been one of the rules here for a long time.

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2018  ·  #13
Quote by Ally

Same in NI, major fault it gets impounded, not sure of the conditions but I think has to be trailored to someone who can fix it.

Apologies'

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2018  ·  #14
Seen a private bus with the yelliw school signs on it parked outside the test centre the last time I was there with a big red sticker on the windscreen, not allowing it to be driven away,
I asked one of the lads that worked in the test centre what the craic was and he said it would br criminal for them to let it be driven away,
I was shocked but happy that a dangerous bus (school bus at that) was off the roads,

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2018  ·  #15
Quote by mad max

Seen a private bus with the yelliw school signs on it parked outside the test centre the last time I was there with a big red sticker on the windscreen, not allowing it to be driven away,
I asked one of the lads that worked in the test centre what the craic was and he said it would br criminal for them to let it be driven away,
I was shocked but happy that a dangerous bus (school bus at that) was off the roads,

I wonder who prepared that wagon for its psv?

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.11.2018  ·  #16
It wasn't prepared, just driven in to see if it needed much work, But I bet the owner got a shock when it was condemned

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.11.2018  ·  #17
One problem with letting in vehicles to see what is wrong first is it is flashing a Red flag with the RSA if you have a lot of failours, this probably don’t apply with one off vehicles, but I know of a waste operator with a fleet of bin lorries who was doing that and he had a failour rate of around 70%, then they plagued him by stopping his trucks on the road and doing on the spot inspections. Now he is preparing them for test and his failour rate is much reduced. I suppose the moral to this is at least repair obvious defects before presenting for test as too many defects in its test history might have a red flag flashed when it is presented for future tests.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.11.2018  ·  #18
I see this as an advantage and a good option to be prepared for a future test.

It's voluntary and not mandatory so anyone that doesn't agree with it can just keep doing their thing as nothing has changed for them.

As I service my own van, I would definitely consider something like this should I had the option. That would give me a general idea of what jobs I need to do before hand. Last time I think I did way more I needed to do to pass the test and you never really know what they're going to come up with, so yeah... definitely not a bad idea.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 29.11.2018  ·  #19
Quote by CHAUSSON

One problem with letting in vehicles to see what is wrong first is it is flashing a Red flag with the RSA if you have a lot of failours, this probably don’t apply with one off vehicles, but I know of a waste operator with a fleet of bin lorries who was doing that and he had a failour rate of around 70%, then they plagued him by stopping his trucks on the road and doing on the spot inspections. Now he is preparing them for test and his failour rate is much reduced. I suppose the moral to this is at least repair obvious defects before presenting for test as too many defects in its test history might have a red flag flashed when it is presented for future tests.

I wasn’t referring to a pre test, I ment letting it in for the actual test to see what is wrong. I definitely see the merit of the pre test especially for older vehicles.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.