My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Not just Fords.

· 
Posted: 20.11.2018  ·  #1
I received this email today from Comfort, interesting

Dear Mr ------
Over the past 2 months we have seen an increase in thefts of Fiat Motorhomes due to technology available to purchase online, which overrides the manufacturer standard security.
Areas specifically targeted are along the A127 within the postal codes of:
• CM
• CO
• RM
• SS
If you own a Fiat Motorhome in these areas please be aware of the increased theft risk.
While Motorhome thefts are rare, our claims statistics have shown that Fiats are being targeted. We recommend investigating and installing deterrents and/or taking preventative measures to decrease the risk of theft. Steering wheel locks, wheel-clamps and door locks are some ideas for extra security.
We would also like to mention that Ford Motorhomes still have the highest theft rates in the
above areas particularly including:
• SO
• BH
If you are thinking of, or have already purchased a Ford Motorhome please be aware of this increased risk and fit preventatives to the vehicle.
As a result of the increased risk with Ford Motorhomes and Campervans we require certain types of security when you take out or renew an insurance policy with us.

The underwriters, Aviva require your Motorhome to be fitted with a Meta Trak VTS or Thatcham Approved Category 5 or 6 tracking device.

However, if you would prefer not to fit a tracking device please contact our office and speak to our team 0808 1688 150 or info@comfort-insurance.co.uk. We will be happy to look for alternative insurance providers for you, which may not have the same requirements and answer any questions you may have.
We hope you found this information helpful and keeps your Motorhome safe and sound.

Yours Sincerely
Ben Cue
Director Of Operations

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Not just Fords.

· 
Posted: 20.11.2018  ·  #2
Thats the area from Stratford to Southend also up through Romford , Chelmsford , to Clacton on Sea. Right Jacks the lad manor and if it aint nailed or screwed down they will have it ,but you got to be carefull anywhere now.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2018  ·  #3
They could have worded that better.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Not just Fords.

· 
Posted: 21.11.2018  ·  #4
I think without Police reports its a scam from the insurance companies

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2018  ·  #5
Got to scratching the old grey head and came up with this, on the Fiat Peugeot Citroen family ,(dont know about Transit), the fuel is delivered to the engine by a electric pump in the tank and a simple on off switch in a concealed place would mean they would not get far as a motorhome with out power aint much good and not too easy to put on a trailer. Any more thoughts out there ?

Floorman
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2018  ·  #6
Got to scratching the old grey head and came up with this, on the Fiat Peugeot Citroen family ,(dont know about Transit), the fuel is delivered to the engine by a electric pump in the tank and a simple on off switch in a concealed place would mean they would not get far as a motorhome with out power aint much good and not too easy to put on a trailer. Any more thoughts out there ?

I think this is a very good idea, I have a new Rapido on order (April delivery) and would like to put a switch on it when I get it, it can't be that difficult, the only thing is remembering when I switch it off and not be calling out the rescue squad.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2018  ·  #7
Yes, break the feed wire going in to the top of the tank ,put an inline fuse into it in case of problems and run under the floor to your place of choice, Robbers will not have time to sit by the roadside waiting for someone to figure out what is wrong.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2018  ·  #8
Enquire if that may throw up a fault on the ecu, esp on modern electronics

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.11.2018  ·  #9
Fit a battery disconnect switch on to the main starter lead about 10quid Amazon/ eBay take the red handle with you.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2018  ·  #10
Good one sprinter, but it means opening and closing the bonnet every time you want to use it. I have removed and reconnected the power lead on my pump with no ill effects when checking the tank ,but I never turned the ignition on with the power lead off.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Not just Fords.

· 
Posted: 22.11.2018  ·  #11
Quote by nilrac

Good one sprinter, but it means opening and closing the bonnet every time you want to use it. I have removed and reconnected the power lead on my pump with no ill effects when checking the tank, but I never turned the ignition on with the power lead off.

I had that in mind but I presume the vans are stolen from home so it wouldn't be that much of an inconvenience because most time you should do some checks before you start up and move away and you could always have the lead extended to near the doorstep or footwell.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2018  ·  #12
Only problem by the time they realize that they cant drive away they probably have considerable damage done breaking into the van, I know the panel beater quoted over €2000 to repair our last van when it was broken into in France. if you are worried about it been stolen from home maybe a removable bollard in front of it might also be an option and it can be seen so they might move on to another target.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.11.2018  ·  #13
Agree totally with chausson.
You need to stop the feckers from gaining entry. The cost of damage from entry is considerable, especially with the low price of cordless power tools. A battery angle grinder can be got for less than 50 quid now. Alot of damage can be done in 2 minutes.
Most folks have key fob central locking now, on their mh, cars etc. Pressing the lock button once only locks the doors, but most folks don't realise, press it a second time and the doors deadlock and the engine immobiliser is activated properly.
Sit into your car/ mh and press lock twice and tell me, how you got out.
Malcolm

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.