Gerrit
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Auto-Roller 746
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Which second hand motorhome?

· 
Posted: 15.11.2018  ·  #1
I'm looking at secondhand motorhomes, preferably newer than 2010. Are there any specific models to avoid, or are they all good? I've seen two decent options in my price range.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: Which second hand motorhome?

· 
Posted: 15.11.2018  ·  #2
CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2018  ·  #3
Gerret, the first thing you need to do is settle on a layout that fit your needs, then if you find something run it by the gang here, another thing post 2010 Motorhomes are in short supply in Ireland due to the rescission at the time when new Motorhome sales were at an all time low.

Gerrit
Craic'er
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2018  ·  #4
Quote by the fat controller

Check all that you are considering for damp

I'll do that, thanks for the tip. I'm guessing I should check all cupboards and anything made of wood?

Quote by CHAUSSON

Gerret, the first thing you need to do is settle on a layout that fit your needs, then if you find something run it by the gang here, another thing post 2010 Motorhomes are in short supply in Ireland due to the rescission at the time when new Motorhome sales were at an all time low.

We're looking at a layout suitable for two adults, preferably with a bed at the back which we'll probably keep down as a bed permanently. We also need a table which can be kept as a table permanently and not be in the way. A separate shower rather than a wet room also sounds good. We prefer a large fridge but it seems like most models have small fridges. A large fridge will probably be better for longer term motorhome living, right?

I'm going to look at a 2014 Roller Team 746 and a 2011 Autotrail Apache tomorrow. Both have small fridges but otherwise tick all boxes for us.

Gerrit
Craic'er
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2018  ·  #5
How strong is the bed space over the cab? How much weight can it take, or is it made for skinny people only? The ones I've seen in photos don't look like they have much support to carry weight.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2018  ·  #6
when you come to a meet you will see very few "skinny people" and quite a few use the overcab bed. Me included. sometimes :lol:

Gerrit
Craic'er
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2018  ·  #7
Quote by ROBANDSUE

when you come to a meet you will see very few "skinny people" and quite a few use the overcab bed. Me included. sometimes :lol:

That's good to know! And no-one's landed in the cab after a bed failure before?

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2018  ·  #8
That's good to know! And no-one's landed in the cab after a bed failure before?
[/quote]

Well i would not say that, have you read Allys story and if not then you should.
He had a disaster and the company that he bought off were called Dicksons of Perth who totally ignored his request for help so my take on them is that they do not do warranty on second hand vans and will totally blank any request for help should you need it.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2018  ·  #9
Quote by Gerrit

are they all good?

Most definitely not, think of them all built as cardboard and paper mache, if they get damp they fall to bits, and you'll not go far wrong.

There are some on the market that have no wood in them, N&B's, Baileys (still a wooden floor).

Check ten times for damp, look at the results of this poll: forum/topic.php?t=15635

Two most important things - damp and layout, make sure the layout is right for you before you even consider buying, then check service history etc.

Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2018  ·  #10
There are many damp horror stories where a bargain turned out to be quite the opposite.
Invest in a damp meter and if the owner won't let you use it just leave. If they aren't happy with you using a meter they could be trying to hide something.

Your nose will usually tell you if there is significant damp but if it is in the early stages a meter would show it up.

If you are completely new to this see if you can find someone which some knowledge with you. They may spot something you haven't.

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2018  ·  #11
Quote by Gerrit

I'm looking at secondhand motorhomes, preferably newer than 2010. Are there any specific models to avoid, or are they all good? I've seen two decent options in my price range.

Things to think about:

What licence do you hold, can you drive motorhomes with a gross weight of over 3500kg
Have you any size restrictions, length, height or width when you intend to store your MH
How many sleeping places do you need
How many seatbelts do you need ( there may be less belts than seats and less belts than sleeping places)
What is the weight of the motorhome completely empty
What payload is left for EVERYTHING you need to carry - food, bedding, clothes, water, gas, fuel, passengers, camping gear etc. Is the payload sufficient
When looking at any van spend time in it with all passengers present. Simulate using it, showering, using the toilet, cooking, dining, relaxing, driving, sleeping etc.
Check the operation of all equipment - heating, cooking, fridge, shower, sink, whb, lights,

The biggest issue with any Motorhome is damp. You need to have a full damp inspection using a proper meter

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2018  ·  #12
Gerrit your on the right forum for advice and if you listen to all the advice you've been offered so far you won't go wrong. Best of luck with your purchase and enjoy your future outings

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2018  ·  #13
If you are buying for just two adults, and maybe occasional extra people forget about overcab (luton) versions.
A low profile is best or A class is second best as you don't have the wind resistance, heavier fuel consumption, associated with the overcab design.

A model with a corner French bed or an island bed or an over garage bed will give the permanent main bed for two plus the lounge area can be converted for occasional guests.
Some low profile models have an A class type bed in the roof over the lounge area but that's a fairly recent design and will not be available on 2010 models

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2018  ·  #14
2 Adults in van a low profile with fixed bed is what you are looking for as above post

heanorboy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Wildax Europa
Base Vehicle: 2015 Renault Master
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2018  ·  #15
There are some good van conversions that will also fit your bill and easier to get round the smaller country roads
Auto-Sleeper Kingham or Warwick for example
David

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Which second hand motorhome?

· 
Posted: 16.11.2018  ·  #16
Gerrit. the two you mentioned, I think are 6 berth,you don't need that size. Think of the advice from the last 2 posts, heanorboy, eirebus,
Class B (van conversions =campervan) same as driving a van normally 3500 kg so car licence. I have a rear bed Sprinter .
Class B+ ( on van chassis but wider ) could be up to 600 mm wider so more room and low profile, can be over the 3500kg
When you see something you like then ask about that specific one here.
If you see one parked up that looks interesting knock on the door and ask to look,most people will be delighted to show you around ( just not after dark or before breakfast )
Maybe drive over to Kilfinnan Aire there could be 20+ different ones there for the Craic meet.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2018  ·  #17
You haven't said what licence you have. If it's only B you are confined to vehicles not exceeding 3.5t GVW.
However if you find a mh which is 3.85t GVW or thereabouts getting it back to 3.5t is just a paperwork exercise which costs about €200.

There is a wide choice of low profile and A class with a GVW not exceeding 3.5t and many more which can be down plated to that weight if necessary.

Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Autoroller 746
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2018  ·  #18
Quote by Gerrit

I'm going to look at a 2014 Roller Team 746 and a 2011 Autotrail Apache tomorrow. Both have small fridges but otherwise tick all boxes for us.

I have a 746. Age is no safeguard..... I originally had a deposit secured on a 2014 Rollerteam 690G and during the pre-delivery check, it was found to have water ingress in the overcab. I walked away and the dealer returned my deposit without quibble. In the end I went for the new model with the 10-year body integrity warranty which I hope I never have to use. Although it didn't seem it at the time, it was a blessing we didn't buy the 690G as the layout wouldn't have worked for us.

The 746 has a fabulous layout with great space and decent external storage - the 2014 model is slightly shorter (the door is on the European side) with a smaller garage but still practical.

Gerrit
Craic'er
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2018  ·  #19
Thank you for all the good advice. We went to look at the 2014 Roller Team 746 and we love the layout. It has done less than 11 000km, and we could see that the owners have looked after it well. We spent some time in it and everything looks in great condition, and no signs of damp.
We're looking at a motorhome suitable for long term living as an option, so the extra space of the 746 will come in useful.
We're pretty much sold on it, unless someone comes running into the forum typing furiously that we should not take it for some very good reason!

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2018  ·  #20
Places to check for damp are around windows and lockers. Basically anywhere an opening has been cut is a magnet for the dreaded damp

Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Autoroller 746
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2018  ·  #21
Quote by Gerrit

Thank you for all the good advice. We went to look at the 2014 Roller Team 746 and we love the layout. It has done less than 11 000km, and we could see that the owners have looked after it well. We spent some time in it and everything looks in great condition, and no signs of damp.
We're looking at a motorhome suitable for long term living as an option, so the extra space of the 746 will come in useful.
We're pretty much sold on it, unless someone comes running into the forum typing furiously that we should not take it for some very good reason!

Here is a link to a couple who have lived in their 746 for a year: https://flipflopsandwoollyhats.com/

The Roller Team & Ci Motorhome Club Facebook community is a useful resource.

Just make sure that the annual habitation checks have been done in accordance with the manufacturer's guidelines to keep the warranty intact. It amazes me how people spend £50k+ on a Motorhome and then don't do annual habitation checks to keep the warranty valid.

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2018  ·  #22
If it's a private sale how many years has it been in the sellers possession ? Years or months ? If you're buying from a dealer some on here may have purchased from the same dealer and be able to give you some feedback on dealings and after sales service. Unfortunately there are some dodgy dealers as well as unscrupulous individuals out there. It's true what they say "Buyer beware", good luck with the search, :up:

Flipflopstravels
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2018  ·  #23
2424 thank you for the mention!

Gerrit, we also did a post on choosing the right van, explaining why we choose the 746. Might be of use to you..
https://flipflopsandwoollyhats…motorhome/

We live our 746 and although we've looked, we haven't yet found a modern van to equal it.

Gerrit
Craic'er
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.11.2018  ·  #24
Thanks again for everyone's advice and comments, and thanks flipflop for the article link, I'll read it now. Which year model 746 do you have?

We've decided to take the 746, we really can't find a reason not to go for that deal, keeping in mind all the advice from you guys.
We'll be collecting her on Tuesday. We're very excited!

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.