Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Sitting arrangements

· 
Posted: 06.10.2011  ·  #1
What's the rules on sitting in the back of a MH....

The way I am led to believe, as long as you are over 13? if you are sitting sideways you don't need a seatbelt, and if you are facing backwards you don't need a belt.
If you are facing forwards even sitting in the back you need a belt.

All that correct? :)

hymer524
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer 524
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

Re: Sitting arrangements

· 
Posted: 06.10.2011  ·  #2
Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.10.2011  ·  #3
Thanks Tom.

This is the problem there seems to be no definite answer...

"Although it is not generally illegal to use side facing seats, with or without seatbelts, we would not advise that they are used. Seatbelts are not designed to be used with sidefacing seats and, although they may help to prevent the wearer being ejected or thrown around the vehicle, in a frontal crash they can increase injury risk by subjecting vulnerable parts of the body to higher loads than seatbelts used on forward facing seats."

and this...

"There is no specific legal limit to the number of passengers carried in a motorhome. However, the manufacturer will probably specify the maximum number that the vehicle is designed for. If that number is exceeded, Regulation 100 of the Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 may apply. In summary, this regulation states that: “A motor vehicle, and all its parts and accessories; the number of passengers carried, and the manner in which any passengers are carried in or on a vehicle; and the weight, distribution, packing and adjustment of the load of a vehicle, to be at all times such that no danger is caused, or is likely to be caused, to any person in or on a vehicle or on a road."

So you can sit sideways without a seatbelt, but you can still be prosecuted for an "unsafe load" as it's not restrained, but it's against the law to restrain them.

Also you may fit as many as you want on side facing seats, but you MAY get prosecuted for it, or you may not.

As clear as mud :-)

Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.10.2011  ·  #4
I think it is as simple as

Before 2006 seat belts must be worn but can be sideways. If they are fitted they must be used.

From 2006 forward facing only can be fitted and again must used.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.10.2011  ·  #5
From 2006 you can still sit sideways (without a belt) and rear facing without a belt?

Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.10.2011  ·  #6
Found this too

Since 20 October 2007 manufacturers have had to declare, and fit belts to, all seats in the rear except those seats intended solely for use when the vehicle is stationary. At the moment it is not illegal to carry passengers in unbelted rear seats as long as all belted seats are in use. However this will become illegalin May 2009."

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.10.2011  ·  #7
Ok

Just to add to it, a 6 berth MH with a dining area can seat 6 people, two in the cab and two belted in the back + two facing forward.

But a 5 berth MH with a dining table and a bench seat can only seat 5

Because if the 5 berth seats 6 then this will apply...

"However, the manufacturer will probably specify the maximum number that the vehicle is designed for. If that number is exceeded, Regulation 100 of the Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 may apply."

Looks like it mostly comes down to how many berth it is, although it seems daft that a 5 berth can't seat 6 people even thought it has the same seats as a 6 berth.

My head hurts!

Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.10.2011  ·  #8
That is the case with many vans. It is possible to buy a 6 berth van with less seat belts.

I also found this.

For vehicles built up to Oxtober 2007 there was no legal requirement to have seat belts fitted to side-facing seats or seats that make up the accommodation area in motor caravans. Regulation 46 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, as amended, states motor caravans first used on or after 1st April 1982 but before 1 October 1988 shall be equipped with anchorage points for the driver's seat and specified passenger seat (if any); and for motor caravans first used on or after 1st October 1988 shall be equipped with anchorage points for the driver's seat and any forward-facing front seat. You can download a copy of the SI at http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2001/20011043.htm. However, this did not preclude manufacturers fitting seat belts to forward facing or rearward facing seats within the accommodation area if they wished to do so. Where seat belts are fitted they must be worn. Seats in the rear of a campervan/motorhome did not, prior to October 2007, require seatbelts (whether forward, rearward or sideways facing) and it is not illegal to carry unrestrained passengers in them while travelling, providing the vehicle is not overloaded. It is not something we would recommend, however. Although current seat belt wearing regulations do not currently prohibit carrying more passengers in vehicles than there are seat belts available, the police may prosecute drivers for carrying passengers in a manner that may injure someone. We would advise that no-one should be carried in any unbelted seat in the rear of a motorhome. An EU Directive (2005/40/EC) on the installation of seat belts required that from 20 October 2007 new vehicles have to have seat belts fitted on all seats except those seats intended solely for use when the vehicle is stationary. Where seat belts are fitted, from May 2009, the seat belt wearing Directive will prevent more passengers being carried than there are seat belts in the rear of vehicles. This will mean that from May 2009, in any vehicle of whatever age, where seat belts are fitted in the rear, more passengers may not be carried in the rear than there are seat belts available. The critical point for owners of older motorhomes is that it will not become illegal to carry passengers in the rear, provided that no seatbelts are fitted to any seats behind the driver and front passenger seats. Owners of any motorhome that has belts fitted to any seat in the rear will need to be aware that, from May 2009, it will be illegal to carry passengers in any unbelted seat.

I think the last two lines is the most relevant to you original question.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.10.2011  ·  #9
Quote by mark

I think the last two lines is the most relevant to you original question.

Is indeed ta, and quite relevant to a lot of people I would persume!

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.