Craic'er
My Motorhome: Hobby 750
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Clicking noise from Dometic Fridge

· 
Posted: 14.11.2018  ·  #1
Hi all

Only recently purchased our motorhome but right from the start have had issues with the fridge. As I drove off from the dealers in England it (or at least the wiring at the back of it) went on fire. That was before I traveled 10ft. Not a good start.

Dealer wasn't able to fix it but paid for repairs back here at LTS in Magheralin which included fitting a new PCB. All has been good since however last weekend we stayed at a site in Kildare near Athy and an issue arose while on EHU. After a period of time a fast clicking noise came from behind the control panel and it continued until I moved the thermostat knob higher or lower at which point it would stop. Within an hour the same thing would happen again. We were there for two days and traveled about in between but every time we hooked up the problem resurfaced.

I making a number of assumptions. Firstly its a relay and secondly the fridge is reaching optimum temp and trying to shut down but the aforementioned relay isn't playing ball. On returning home I plugged into my home electrics and tried to repeat the problem but now everything is working fine, 24hrs and not a click to be heard and fridge lovely and cold.

So my question is could the supply at the camp site be the problem ie low or fluctuating voltage.

LTS are happy to take a look and replace PCB again but I don't want to take it back with a problem that isn't a problem.

Any thoughts

Mal

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Clicking noise from Dometic Fridge

· 
Posted: 14.11.2018  ·  #2
Quote by BigMal

So my question is could the supply at the camp site be the problem ie low or fluctuating voltage.

Think you've hit the nail on the head there.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.11.2018  ·  #3
Does the clicking sound like an igniter trying to light a flame?

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.11.2018  ·  #4
Just curious but is it a 3-way fridge? If so, is it possible the 12V power switch was left in the ‘On’ position whilst on EHU when you noticed the promblem?

Im not saying that this particular combination should pose a problem but I had a similar problem once myself in a very particular situation which involved my split charge relay flip-flopping.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2018  ·  #5
Were you running an electric heater or other high electric using item, this can leave the fridge short of power on a site with low amp rating

BigMal
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2018  ·  #6
Quote by Helgahobby

Does the clicking sound like an igniter trying to light a flame?

Quote by The Rambler

Just curious but is it a 3-way fridge? If so, is it possible the 12V power switch was left in the ‘On’ position whilst on EHU when you noticed the promblem?

Im not saying that this particular combination should pose a problem but I had a similar problem once myself in a very particular situation which involved my split charge relay flip-flopping.

Quote by eirebus

Were you running an electric heater or other high electric using item, this can leave the fridge short of power on a site with low amp rating

Thanks for the help guys and to answer your questions

The clicking sound definitely sounds like a relay as opposed to an igniter and is right behind the control panel.
It is a three way fridge with Auto option, which is what was selected, and EHU selector was lit
and yes we were running the heating on EHU at the same time.

I'm thinking more and more as Eirebus says that this is a campsite issue and not my MH issue . Yaaaay

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Clicking noise from Dometic Fridge

· 
Posted: 15.11.2018  ·  #7
Sounds like a power drop and the controls may have been trying to change to 12volt.
Maybe a test at home connect the van with the longest leads you can, put on all the mains systems in the van see if you can recreate the fault.

Stacks
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Argos A660
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2018  ·  #8
What model fridge is it? I had a similar issue while on hook up. Mine is an 800 series model with manual selector. The fridge just started beeping during the night, woke us all up!! I could not see anything obvious that night so just switched it to gas. The following morning I checked the AC supply and sure enough it was fluctuating between 170 to 190 Volts. Bloody crazy. I reported it to the owner. It drives me cracked that some campsites in ireland charge stupid prices for hook up and yet are not able to maintain the required supply, especially when they are busy. As a lesson, I now always check the mains with my meter prior to hooking up, and always run the fridge on gas. It runs better anyway that way and uses frig all gas. An inadequate voltage supply like that is never good for applicances. You're fridge was probably confused with the fluctuating voltage, and as it is automatic, it was switching back and forth like crazy? I'm sure you've nothing to worry about.... fingers crossed.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2018  ·  #9
An underlying problem with a lot of campsites is the provision of a 10 amp (C10), or even a 16 amp (C16) MCB at the EHU outlet. I know some people have come to expect such a level of power here.
However, it's all very well having a 10 or 16 amp supply which permits the use of domestic appliances like kettles and heaters etc. but the downside is the overloading of the supply into the site and the resulting voltage drop, which apart from requiring the fridge to run on gas can also damage sensitive electronic equipment.
One occasion I witnessed a situation so bad the ESB fuse on the main board repeatedly blew one evening which necessitated repeated visits by the local ESB electrition to replace it. He said you could nearly make toast at the main board it was so hot and the site owner had to appeal to people to turn off electric heating in their 'vans.

A 4 amp (C4) or 6 amp (C6) in common in Europen sites which is why European motorhomes generally are gas only heating and have accommodation for two 13 kg LPG bottles.

BigMal
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2018  ·  #10
Thanks for all the help guys.

I have now run the van on EHU at home for the last ten hours. I have fridge on, heating and water heater on and no problems at all so I'm officially declaring the problem as a campsite issue. Good to know from your experiences that it is not an isolated incident and I will take the advice and use gas for the fridge in future especially when we are in Europe rather than risk damaging the delicate electrics.

Thanks again

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2018  ·  #11
[quote="baguette"]
An underlying problem with a lot of campsites is the provision of a 10 amp (C10), or even a 16 amp (C16) MCB at the EHU outlet.
I would hope they would have B type MCB’s and not C type.
C type are basically motor rated and only have half the loop impedance tolerance of the B type.
Each socket outlet must be protected individually by both an RCD and an MCB, or an RCBO by law

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2018  ·  #12
Quote by Daffysparks"]
[quote="baguette

An underlying problem with a lot of campsites is the provision of a 10 amp (C10), or even a 16 amp (C16) MCB at the EHU outlet.
C type are basically motor rated and only have half the loop impedance tolerance of the B type.
Each socket outlet must be protected individually by both an RCD and an MCB, or an RCBO by law

I must admit I don't have a clue about what the difference between C and B type trips/MCB's. However I have regularly seen C10 etc. trips/MCB's as I always check the rating of an ehu when I plug in.
Just last weekend I stayed in a campsite with ehu which had C10 MCB,s.

All 8 MCB's in my house are C, have you got you B's and C's mixed up perhaps, otherwise all 8 are wrong, as are the 3 C10's in the MH

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2018  ·  #13
The essential difference between B and C MCB's is their performance when a large current is applied eg in short circuit conditions. A type B MCB will operate at a lower current than a type C. Typically a type B will operate instantly at about 4 times rated current while a type C requires about 10 times rated current to operate instantly.

In the event of a long term overload of say 1.5 times rated current (eg. 15amps on a 10amp MCB) then there will be very little difference in the time of operation between a type B and a type C.

See the top two graphs in the link. Short circuits operate in the vertical part of the graph (towards the bottom) while long term overloads operate in the curved section at the top of the graph.

The vertical axis on the graph is in seconds and the horizontal axis is multiples of rated current

https://www.schneider-electric…Curves.pdf

witzend
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2018  ·  #14
Sounds like

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2018  ·  #15
Quote by baguette"]
[quote="Daffysparks

Quote by baguette

I must admit I don't have a clue about what the difference between C and B type trips/MCB's. However I have regularly seen C10 etc. trips/MCB's as I always check the rating of an ehu when I plug in.

All 8 MCB's in my house are C, have you got you B's and C's mixed up perhaps, otherwise all 8 are wrong, as are the 3 C10's in the MH

No I have not got my B and my C mixed up.
If it were my house I would get it tested to ensure that the MCB’s will operate within the permitted thresholds. Example
20 amp B rated max loop impedance 2.3 ohms
20 amp C rated max loop impedance 1.15 ohms.
If you live in a rural area, I have seen the main incoming as high as 0.6. That leaves you with 0.55 for the cable , outlet and distribution board resistances. At that stage if I was testing the installation, I’d be hoping for short cable runs to come in under these readings. Otherwise i would have to condemn it

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2018  ·  #16
Quote by Daffysparks"]
[quote="baguette

Quote by Daffysparks

Quote by baguette

No I have not got my B and my C mixed up.
If it were my house I would get it tested to ensure that the MCB’s will operate within the permitted thresholds. Example
20 amp B rated max loop impedance 2.3 ohms
20 amp C rated max loop impedance 1.15 ohms.
If you live in a rural area, I have seen the main incoming as high as 0.6. That leaves you with 0.55 for the cable , outlet and distribution board resistances. At that stage if I was testing the installation, I’d be hoping for short cable runs to come in under these readings. Otherwise i would have to condemn it

My house is one of 16 so I'll not worry about the MCB's being C type, it has already been certified, also if Rapido are happy to fit them in my MH that'll do me too.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.11.2018  ·  #17
It is common for continental manufacturers to fit C type as it lessens the likelihood of trip at plug in, which can, on occasion be an issue with B type. However their network is mainly underground, and vastly superior in earthing to ours, with much lower impedances.
It does amaze me that people say, sure it’s been grand for the last, whatever years, or sure no one in this estate ever had problems.
This is what I do for a living. It takes two things normally to go wrong for someone to get a an electrical shock.
1.the inadvertent exposure to a positive voltage
And
2 inadequate earthing or/ and inadequate short circuit / over- voltage protection

I am not saying you C type are definitely wrong,
I am saying they potentially are.
It’s advice,
I f I was inspecting the installation, then I would tell you for definite if this was the situation

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2018  ·  #18
I would like to know what was clicking in the first place. OP thinks it was a relay and I would think that is true. So a relay somewhere behind the control panel, which I presume is not the fridge control panel. ??

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2018  ·  #19
Must be 12v / 230v changeover relay I suppose.

BigMal
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2018  ·  #20
Quote by The Rambler

I would like to know what was clicking in the first place. OP thinks it was a relay and I would think that is true. So a relay somewhere behind the control panel, which I presume is not the fridge control panel. ??

It is behind the control panel of the fridge and on my home EHU I can make it do a single click (turn on or off) by adjusting the temp control. What I am assuming was happening was at the campsite the fridge thermostat was sensing the fridge was to cold or to warm and trying to turn the fridge on or off and for whatever reason the relay couldn't fully comply.

I don't know much about electrics but the explanations above about iffy campsite outlets would explain my problem along with the fact I cant seem to recreate it at home.

We do a fair bit of winter outings so I intend to test this at any opportunity just for peace of mind.

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2018  ·  #21
Nearly missed your post there Big Mal, my eyes had glazed over. Good man for taking it out in winter, this time next month you might fill in the curious, but concisely if you please.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 16.11.2018  ·  #22
I’d say you are right about that.
Relay chatter is common with undervoltage. I wouldn’t be too worried about it, seeing as how it is working fine at home. Just keep a listen out when you are away and hooked up

BigMal
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2018  ·  #23
Quote by Helgahobby

Nearly missed your post there Big Mal, my eyes had glazed over. Good man for taking it out in winter, this time next month you might fill in the curious, but concisely if you please.

Lol Sorry if I bored you Helga, but if you've got a story make it long I always say.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.11.2018  ·  #24
Bigmal. Don’t worry about it. Wouldn’t think it was aimed at you 🤐🤐

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.