Italy 2019

Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Autoroller 746
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290
Subject:

Italy 2019

· 
Posted: 11.11.2018  ·  #1
Thinking about venturing to Italy in 2019. Possibly a campsite for Venice and/or Lake Garda. Has anyone done this and can recommend a route with stopovers - looking at 2-weeks in total so the journey there and back needs to be fairly direct?

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Italy 2019

· 
Posted: 11.11.2018  ·  #2
kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.11.2018  ·  #3
Are you sure you want to go this far in 2 weeks. Door to door you are looking at around 3000 miles without much if any sight seeing.

We go most years to Italy but do not use French toll roads. Typically if we leave home say on Saturday morning, catch Rosslare/Cherbourg that evening and then drive direct to Italy we would arrive Tuesday evening at Lake Garda. Return, if we leave Thursday morning we can catch the Saturday sailing back to Rosslare and be home Sunday night. On this basis you would have only 8 days in Italy and 8 days travel.

I have a write up (which I will find) that details the routes and stopovers we use. It was originally written a few years ago but I update it after our return each year.

kabundi
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony 680G
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato X290 2.3L 130bhp
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.11.2018  ·  #4
The following is our route to Italy

We sail into Cherbourg, then head straight across France via Paris to Nancy, then to Basle, onto the Swiss toll road through the Goddard tunnel, then to Milan and finally to Lake Garda. We avoid all tolls in France but take the toll road through Switzerland (only practical way to go) and stay on the Italian toll road all the way to Peschiera del Garda at the south eastern corner of Lake Garda. The overall route is just less than 1400km with a driving time of approximately 20 to 22 hours.

Day 1 route is Cherbourg to Brezolles (near Dreux) which is about as far as you can travel on the route without travelling round Paris. Distance is 280km with a driving time of 4 to 4.5 hours
Day 2 route is Brezolles to the Vosges, south of Nancy. There are several overnight options: - Richardmenil at 440km (6 to 7 hours driving) from Brezolles, Le Thillot/Freese-sur-Moselle at 540km (7 to 8 hours driving) from Brezolles and Thann at 580km (8 to 9 hours driving) from Brezolles. We always aim for one of the later stops.
Day 3 route is Vosges to Peschiera del Garda. Richardmenil to Peschiera del Garda is 660km (9 to 10 hours driving) while Thann to Peschiera del Garda is 520km (7 to 8 hours driving)
If necessary a further intermediate overnight stop in Switzerland can be used; at Airolo (285km from Peschiera del Garda) or Colderio (185km from Peschiera del Garda).
Total toll cost Cherbourg to Peschiera del Garda and return is CHF40 (approximately €35) in Switzerland plus approximately €28 in Italy for 3500kg and under. For over 3500kg the Swiss toll reduces to CHF32.50.

The most direct route is using toll roads and the Mont Blanc tunnel. This route is about 50km shorter than above, will take maybe 3 to 4 hours less driving time but has a toll cost of close to €400 return.

Attached is the write up I referred to in my earlier post. It is long but may give you some helpful info for your trip.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.