Blackdot
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Purchasing Camper

· 
Posted: 09.11.2018  ·  #1
Hi Everyone

I am purchasing a Campervan and would welcome any advice.
1st choice is a 2007 Transit 2.2 5speed gear box Rimor 6 berth private sale LHD

2nd choice is a2008 Transit 2.4 6 Speed gear box Rollerteam 6 berth. In a garage

JJF
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: MotorhomeCraic.com
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Re: Purchasing Camper

· 
Posted: 09.11.2018  ·  #2
LHD better for continental travel.
2.4 I think will be RWD, the 2.2 will be FWD.
One thing to get right is layout, layout, layout.......... it MUST work for you.

Welcome to Motorhomecraic.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.11.2018  ·  #3
I think we would need a lot more info to be honest. Such as state of vehicles in question i.e. mileage, and general condition, rust etc. Then there is the spec of the kit, toilet, washroom facilities, appliances etc. And then of coarse the price

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.11.2018  ·  #4
Quote by Blackdot

Hi Everyone

I am purchasing a Campervan and would welcome any advice.
1st choice is a 2007 Transit 2.2 5speed gear box Rimor 6 berth private sale LHD

2nd choice is a2008 Transit 2.4 6 Speed gear box Rollerteam 6 berth. In a garage

If you have little experience of caravans or motorhomes then make sure to take someone with you who has experience.
If you read some of the experiences on this site then you will see that sometimes not all is what it appears to be both from a mechanical and habitation point of view.
Ask for any service records that may be available and pay particular attention to the habitation one ie any previous damp ingress.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.11.2018  ·  #5
Firstly check their fully laden weight. Under 3500 kg can be driven on a car licence ( B) . Over 3500kg is a truck licence (C or C1 ).
Secondly, check that the number of seatbelts match the number of bunks. Some 6 berths, have only 4 seatbelts because the extra 2 people put the weight over 3500kgs. This is verified by looking at the log book. S1 category listing , I think .
As for the base vehicle, Ford transit. The 2.2 will be front wheel drive, while the 2,4 is rear wheel drive. Check the tyres for the date of birth, tyre older than 5 years or so, can fail a crvt test. Also camper tyres are completely different to regular van tyres because they have a higher load rating index, more expensive.
There are a good few uk based Transit owner websites who allow public viewings of their Transit reviews, no harm in having a look.
You mentioned garage. I am presuming that you are talking about a commercial dealer. A habitation report containing a certified gas report is the minimum and moisture ingress. In other words, the gas is safe, and the house doesn't leak. The usual engine service and timing belt change or timing chain checked along with a new doe test.
The big issue with 6 berth campers is the little people. My kids break everything including me. Open each door, window, roof vent, lock, latch, catch etc multiple times, as the glue may break.
Likewise turn on each switch, knob and appliances multiple times and max out the gas and electric hook up. The more stuff on, the more things that can go wrong.
Lastly for this time of the year, a 3 month warranty is useless because the wagon will not be probably out every week.
Just a few of my thoughts,
Malcolm

Blackdot
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.11.2018  ·  #6
Ok thanks lots of good advice there

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.11.2018  ·  #7
Absolutely agree with everything Malcolm has said. Great piece of advice also from Jon regarding the layout. It absolutely has to work for you. Hope you buy well and enjoy many a good outing.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2018  ·  #8
Get your nose into everything smell for damp find out where the water pump is turn everything on and of ,if it don’t work beware ,and don’t take ( ho the lessure batt must be low ) if I was selling my van I would make sure everything works ,if there are things not working tell them you’ll come back when they fix it

Blackdot
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2018  ·  #9
So that was a waist of our whole day. Loaded up our 3 kids drove to Dublin hour and a half drive to Dealerships. Looked at camper and while checking it out sales man comes and says sorry we took a deposit on this camper this morning 😆 After I telling him we would be up at 12:30 today to view Grrr

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2018  ·  #10
Box player?

AliPhatCamper
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2018  ·  #11
You remark you have 3 kids, so assuming a partner, you need 5 belted seats.

As Lifer so expertly said remember that six-berth doesn't mean six belted seats.

Anyway make sure they are like that from the manufacturer and not bolted in in a homer job.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.