Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Buying a van conversion vs having a conversion done

· 
Posted: 09.11.2018  ·  #1
Hi,
I've been trawling the forums since yesterday, researching about van conversions. From everything Ive read, it seems in the last few years, getting everything ready for the revenue is problematic. So I guess its time to ask the obvious question....With Cost in mind....with a budget of say 15000-20000,
Better to buy a van fully converted (here or in the UK) or buy a van in the republic and get it converted (here or in the UK)?
I dont mind the hassle of paperwork as long as its doable, Have bought a few commercials in the UK before so well used to the VRT process.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Buying a van conversion vs having a conversion done

· 
Posted: 09.11.2018  ·  #2
I think it costs in the region of € 8000 to have a VW type van converted just to give you an idea of conversion costs

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.11.2018  ·  #3
My brother in law bought a vw transport left it up to a bloke in ballyclare got the lining and the pop up roof installed then fitted it out himself a great job it’s the way to go if you want Somthing smalll

Alin
Craic'er
My Motorhome: 08 Sprinter Rapido
Base Vehicle: MB Sprinter xlwb 311
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.11.2018  ·  #4
I started 2 weeks ago to convert a 2008 Sprinter in a camper. All work I do myself so the only expenses are related with the parts to fit. Bought so far almost all I need and sent no more than 2.000 euros. Probably I will spend another 2.000 to finish it.
This was my solution to old campers (I own one having for sale), cheap but all time needed to fix something or newer one but very expensive.
My overall budget is around 10k.

bennyyorkie
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2018  ·  #5
Quote by Alin

I started 2 weeks ago to convert a 2008 Sprinter in a camper. All work I do myself so the only expenses are related with the parts to fit. Bought so far almost all I need and sent no more than 2.000 euros. Probably I will spend another 2.000 to finish it.
This was my solution to old campers (I own one having for sale), cheap but all time needed to fix something or newer one but very expensive.

That sounds interesting. I have the concern about going with an older camper...expense and breakdowns...I know there are classics like hymers B series but they are so old now, Im getting a bit skeptical. I guess you'll have to pay the VRT when your finished....heard here that its needed to change the log book to "motorhome" for insurance. But im sure you know this or I have the wrong end of the stick!
I'd like to go with a van conversion but as I need an automatic.....seems theres none of them around :(
Best of luck with the build. Great project to have!

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2018  ·  #6
Don't know if a Mazda Bongo would suit you but most are Automatic.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.11.2018  ·  #7
Quote by Alin

Do you mind me asking, what is you solution to revenue or your future insurance company asking for paperwork relating to bodybuilding type approval?
Malcolm

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.11.2018  ·  #8
If you can find a good deal with a converted one, go for it and save yourself from all the work and save a few bobs.

If you have the spare time and are keen on taking over the project, then the extra money will be well worth it as you'll know the van inside out and it'll get done as you want it to be.

That's what it comes down to in my opinion.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.