Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Van Conversion

· 
Posted: 08.11.2018  ·  #1
Hi,
I posted on the forum a few months ago regarding buying an old Hymer. Since then, I've had a bit of a u turn....towards van conversions. I met a lady recently who advised me that a van would be much more practical for me and my dog as they are not as wide. She told me that taking a camper on the continent, particularly if you want to travel up the mountain roads or park outside camp sites, motorhomes are banned on some roads, have speed limits that are monitored and are not as discreet for off camp parking at night.
With this in mind, I'm now beginning to look into buying a van and having it converted to my own spec.
I wondered if you might have any advise or recommendations? I've a few mechanical people in the family who have commercial vehicles, so I've no worries with buying one of them. Its the conversion side I'm green to.
My brother mentioned today "why not buy a van here and take it over to the UK to get it converted to a higher standard...more choice in spec in the UK etc.
While I wont ask for recommendations of people/companies who do the work (likely to get people or friends of people recommending themselves!! hehe), would be great to get advise from someone who has been through the process, understands the pricing, what to look out for etc.
I understand an insurance company requires that the log book be marked "Motorhome" and that you'd need an engineers cert. How difficult are they to get? There must be quite a bit of paperwork involved, certs etc with all the electrics etc. DO the converters themselves need to be certified for habitation tests etc?
I'd be most grateful of any advise. Many thanks

cowboy70
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Elddis encore 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat ducat 2.3/ 9 speed auto 140bhp
Subject:

Re: Van Conversion

· 
Posted: 08.11.2018  ·  #2
Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.11.2018  ·  #3
Quote by cowboy70

Hi I built a campervan 5 years ago if you wsnt you can pm me

Don't take it to PM, think of the community and share the knowledge 👍

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Van Conversion

· 
Posted: 08.11.2018  ·  #4
I have s converted sprinter it was done in 02 do its an oldie but it works for us your welcome to have a look to see how it is put together anytime .
The is a guy on the new line inn Wexford that dose some tidy work on van conversion's.

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.11.2018  ·  #5
Hi Laura.
At the top of the page there is a blue banner and on the right hand side there is magnifying glass image.
This is the search tool for the forum. Just type in your key words and hit search.
This topic has been covered in detail before in other posts.
The engineer reports, type of reports needed for insurance, changing the log book, availing of the cheaper camper road tax, VRT issues and so on.
You would be better to take your time and read these posts, and then ask your questions .
Malcolm

Ruairi og
Craic'er
My Motorhome: converted transit high roof
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.11.2018  ·  #6
Hi.
Bringing it to the uk for the higher spec will most likely cost you more on vrt. What a lot of people do is get a basic conversion done to satisfy revenue. Get it registered and then get the conversion you want. Yes it is nearly a double build but worth it in my opinion.

bennyyorkie
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.11.2018  ·  #7
Quote by Ruairi og

Hi.
Bringing it to the uk for the higher spec will most likely cost you more on vrt. What a lot of people do is get a basic conversion done to satisfy revenue. Get it registered and then get the conversion you want. Yes it is nearly a double build but worth it in my opinion.

Hi,
That sounds interesting. Just wondering why you'd have to pay vrt on an Irish van? I thought you could buy a van here, take it over to the UK for conversion, Bring it back, have an engineer pass it here and then off to the revenue for the change in the log book?

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.11.2018  ·  #8
Quote by bennyyorkie

Hi,
That sounds interesting. Just wondering why you'd have to pay vrt on an Irish van? I thought you could buy a van here, take it over to the UK for conversion, Bring it back, have an engineer pass it here and then off to the revenue for the change in the log book?

A van bought here has already paid the commercial rate of VRT which I think is about €200. If you change the category of the vehicle by converting it to a camper you've also changed the VRT rate. The VRT rate on a camper is 13.5% of the magic figure the revenue decide is the Irish value of the camper and they will look for the difference.

bennyyorkie
Craic'er
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.11.2018  ·  #9
Quote by Flipperdipper

A van bought here has already paid the commercial rate of VRT which I think is about €200. If you change the category of the vehicle by converting it to a camper you've also changed the VRT rate. The VRT rate on a camper is 13.5% of the magic figure the revenue decide is the Irish value of the camper and they will look for the difference.

O my giddy aunt!!! Great to know but so crap! Thank you

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.11.2018  ·  #10
Quote by Flipperdipper

I wonder do they allow the 200 and you pay the difference, if that is the case what vrt is already paid on a minibus, would it be cheaper to convert a minibus if the initial vrt was at a higher rate??

Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 09.11.2018  ·  #11
Quote by CHAUSSON

I wonder do they allow the 200 and you pay the difference, if that is the case what vrt is already paid on a minibus, would it be cheaper to convert a minibus if the initial vrt was at a higher rate??

AFAIK the commercial rate is the same for vans,trucks buses and mini buses. I could be wrong but I think it's the same rate for all.

scotgard
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Adria Twin
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato Maxi
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2018  ·  #12
Had a leisuredrive conversion fitted to a vw minibus about 15 years ago as I was advised that VRT on a minibus was the same as a car so no extra cash to be paid. I don't know if regulations have changed since but might be worth looking into.

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 10.11.2018  ·  #13
VRT is payable on an 8 seater minibus (T4 / T5 etc, think taxi) at the same rate as a private car. If you convert an 8 seater to a camper no VRT is due as it was already paid.

If you convert a 12 / 15 seater to a camper you have to pay the magic 13.5 % VRT.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.