Stacks
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Burstner Argos A660
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.3 130bhp
Subject:

Re: Gas flow problem

· 
Posted: 27.02.2021  ·  #42
Hi Pat just wondering what gas are you using, Butane or Propane? I seem to remember Tristan from Pat Horan mentioning before that the end of the Butane bottles can feck up the gas regulator. I do remember when my butane regulator years ago needed replacing, finding oily deposits on the outlet. I have since always used Propane, with no issues. Although your regulator could be goosed in thi instance, it may not be the root cause?

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.02.2021  ·  #43
Quote by Stacks

Hi Pat just wondering what gas are you using, Butane or Propane? I seem to remember Tristan from Pat Horan mentioning before that the end of the Butane bottles can feck up the gas regulator. I do remember when my butane regulator years ago needed replacing, finding oily deposits on the outlet. I have since always used Propane, with no issues. Although your regulator could be goosed in thi instance, it may not be the root cause?

Always Propane Shane, always used butane in last Motorhome and never had an issue, that one had the old kosangas bottle top regulator. From googling the truma regulator it appears to be very troublesome, many people take a spare one on Holiday with them Just incase.

Liked by: Stacks

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.02.2021  ·  #44
Quote by voyager

Quote by CHAUSSON

Quote by voyager

Using Cavagna regulator for 5 years without issues. Just make sure you get the correct one . They come in 2 connection sizes, 8mm and 10mm

That is what i wanted to hear Joe, I need the 10mm version. My truma is screwed to the roof of the gas locker, do you know if the Cavagna can be operated in that orientation, also do you need to turn off the gas at the bottle while driving? that is something I have never done as long as I'm Motorhoming.

Hi Pat
Should be OK to mount horizontally but you can confirm with Hamiltons
For what its worth our Truma failed with exactly the same symptoms as you have described
The Cavagna regulator is not like a Truma Secumotion and the gas will require to be isolated from the cylinder while travelling for obvious safety reasons - that explains some of the price difference perhaps.

If you fit Propane Safety Pigtail you don't need a Secumotion type regulator as the safety valve on the pigtail cuts off the gas if there's a pipe burst.
Being able to leave the gas on means you're not in and out to the gas locker like a yo-yo.

Liked by: CHAUSSON, eirebus

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.02.2021  ·  #45
Quote by baguette

Quote by voyager

Quote by CHAUSSON

Quote by voyager

Using Cavagna regulator for 5 years without issues. Just make sure you get the correct one . They come in 2 connection sizes, 8mm and 10mm

That is what i wanted to hear Joe, I need the 10mm version. My truma is screwed to the roof of the gas locker, do you know if the Cavagna can be operated in that orientation, also do you need to turn off the gas at the bottle while driving? that is something I have never done as long as I'm Motorhoming.

Hi Pat
Should be OK to mount horizontally but you can confirm with Hamiltons
For what its worth our Truma failed with exactly the same symptoms as you have described
The Cavagna regulator is not like a Truma Secumotion and the gas will require to be isolated from the cylinder while travelling for obvious safety reasons - that explains some of the price difference perhaps.

If you fit Propane Safety Pigtail you don't need a Secumotion type regulator as the safety valve on the pigtail cuts off the gas if there's a pipe burst.
Being able to leave the gas on means you're not in and out to the gas locker like a yo-yo.

I have that Colin and it will protect the high pressure hose between regulator and Bottle, I have a feeling that the truma regulator protected the low pressure lines as well. I'm open to correction on this. I don't think there is a button on the Cavagna that you hold for 5 seconds or am I sure of the purpose of that button. Like you said id like to be able to leave the gas on safely

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.03.2021  ·  #46
Bit of an update, I bought the cavagna regulator which was badged Calor, came in a kosengas box and fitted it, Gas flowing fine now, hob working perfect, I haven't tried then heating yet but I still have a problem with the Fridge, while it is running perfect with no fumes like before it is now cutting out after a couple hours operating and the ignition light starts flashing. Anyone able to throw some light on what might be wrong?

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.03.2021  ·  #47
Has it stopped altogether or can you start it again after a while

Liked by: CHAUSSON

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Gas flow problem

· 
Posted: 14.03.2021  ·  #48
Think about this it could it be your problem, the thermocouple might not be fully into the flame?
when you switch it on the fridge is not down to the running temp, so the flame is big, and hitting the end of the thermocouple, as the temp drops does the flame also reduce? and the tip may not be sitting fully into the flame

Liked by: CHAUSSON

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.03.2021  ·  #49
Is the problem with the fridge is it's cutting out or failing to start up again after an off period.
Mine cuts in and out as required by the thermostat and a couple of years ago it started to fail to start up again after been off. The problem was traced to a bad connection in the multi-pin connector going int the grey control box at the back of the fridge, apparently, the control box wasn't getting a clear signal from the flame failure that a flame had been established and was shutting down the system and giving a 'fail to light' flashing led.
Jiggling the connector cured it temporarily but the permanent fix was the fitting of a new plug. A new loom was required but the job was made easy by cutting off the new plug and joining it to the existing loom which meant there was no need to pull out the fridge to get at the top behind the control panel.
A word of caution, many repairers will replace the grey control box which is an expensive unit but the issue is usually just corrosion in the multipin plug.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.03.2021  ·  #50
Thanks for the reply's Guys, I pulled the multipin socket off and on the Grey box a few times this morning and it made no difference.
The the igniter isn't starting the flame when cold, I'm lighting it with a lighter and if I turn off the fridge and re ignite it straight away with the switch it fires up perfect. one thing I picked up on what Colin was saying is , do the burner turn on and off it self while in use, I thought the flame would be on constant, if that is the case it sounds the problem is with the ignition system.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.03.2021  ·  #51
Quote by CHAUSSON

.......................................one thing I picked up on what Colin was saying is , do the burner turn on and off it self while in use, I thought the flame would be on constant, if that is the case it sounds the problem is with the ignition system.

In older fridges, the flame went up and down depending on the fridge temperature but never off.
On the modern ones, the flame is a constant but goes on and off under the control of the thermostat.
The sparker can be heard regularly as the fridge temp rises and the flame is called into action.

Liked by: CHAUSSON, eirebus, panda

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.03.2021  ·  #52
Quote by baguette

Quote by CHAUSSON

.......................................one thing I picked up on what Colin was saying is , do the burner turn on and off it self while in use, I thought the flame would be on constant, if that is the case it sounds the problem is with the ignition system.

In older fridges, the flame went up and down depending on the fridge temperature but never off.
On the modern ones, the flame is a constant but goes on and off under the control of the thermostat.
The sparker can be heard regularly as the fridge temp rises and the flame is called into action.

Do the light on the panel next to the switch stay on when the flame cut out? I have a feeling on our one the light is constantly on.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.03.2021  ·  #53
Quote by CHAUSSON

Quote by baguette

Quote by CHAUSSON

Do the light on the panel next to the switch stay on when the flame cut out? I have a feeling on our one the light is constantly on.

Yes it stays on solid while the option of gas is selected, it starts flickering after a failure to light

Liked by: CHAUSSON, eirebus

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.03.2021  ·  #54
Give the earth on the ignition system a clean with a wire brush, has worked for me in the past

Liked by: CHAUSSON, CHAUSSON

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 15.03.2021  ·  #55
Just checked it now and it is still working fine since midday, hopefully the bit of jiggling of the multipin connection and other spade connections sorted it and thanks again guys for your help :up:

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.