Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Fridge alternatives

· 
Posted: 05.11.2018  ·  #1
Meandering....

Looking around at different options for fridges, compressor only and gas only. Found these, but it claims "These Fridges are not suitable for use on boats. "

https://www.jacksons-camping.co.uk/cool/gasmains.htm

This one looks good: Dometic RGE 4000 mains and LPG gas fridge

Then there are other ones that state they are not suitable for caravans even though they are gas, but look more for domestic use.

Basically, I can't find a cheap fridge, whether it be AC DC or gas :/ - or all three. AC domestic I don't wish to risk due to power usage. Low power compressor are as expensive as a 3-way, so why bother.

Looks like I am going to have to bite the bullet and just buy one, SWMBO is getting ..................... well lets just say, it's time to buy something :)

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

Re: Fridge alternatives

· 
Posted: 05.11.2018  ·  #2
An AC powered compressor fridge for under a hundred quid powered from a decent inverter? That’s what Charles Sterling recommends if you already own an efficient inverter.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #3
Ya may put up the club subscription 😜😜

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #4
The ones in the link are not suitable for a motorhome. They are more for a cabin
The RGE series of gas fridges do not have a flue
The room must have a cubic capacity of at least 20m³, and be well ventilated with a window near by.
The RGE fridge has to be mounted free-standing, meaning a minimum space to surrounding walls or furniture of 50mm (no built in)

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #5
Have to say that I agree with SYMBO and do,it while you have a picture and sound. Money can’t buy that? 😝

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #6
Quote by The Rambler

An AC powered compressor fridge for under a hundred quid powered from a decent inverter? That’s what Charles Sterling recommends if you already own an efficient inverter.

Sterling Power?

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #7
Yep, same Sterling

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #8
Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #9
Quote by The Rambler

Yep, same Sterling

Looks like there is no cheap option, cheap compressor fridge + expensive inverter or expensive compressor fridge no inverter. Or just buy a 3-way for around the same money.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #10
Ally have you looked at leisureshopdirect they have fridges from £325 they also do a Combi coolbox

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #11
Quote by Ally

Quote by The Rambler

Yep, same Sterling

Looks like there is no cheap option, cheap compressor fridge + expensive inverter or expensive compressor fridge no inverter. Or just buy a 3-way for around the same money.

That seems to be the case. Sterling makes a good case if you happened to have a good inverter to begin with. Those Dometic CRX units are outrageously expensive though.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #12
God help poor Julie.... just buy the woman a 3 way fridge and stop being tight 😂😜

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #13
:lol:

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #14
Ally have you considered contacting one of the caravan breakers?

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #15
Thetford fridge, framed and frameless - it may seem obvious but I can't find the difference in size? in shape? anyone know?

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #16
Quote by ntg

Ally have you considered contacting one of the caravan breakers?

I've been able to find nothing but small old fridges. :(

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #17
Is this what you are looking for?
Thetford N3142 3 Way Caravan Motorhome Campervan Fridge Freezer

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #18
Ally regardless of the size of your origional opening have you considered getting a fridge freezer that suits your needs and doing an infill to take up the extra space?
A good joinery works could possibly run you something that would be in keeping with your origional layout.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #19
Quote by ntg

Ally regardless of the size of your origional opening have you considered getting a fridge freezer that suits your needs and doing an infill to take up the extra space?
A good joinery works could possibly run you something that would be in keeping with your origional layout.

Ahh yeah, I'm going to have to do that anyhow, no matter what fridge I get unless it's from America. I kept the wood of the old one for that reason ;)

SWMBO wants a large fridge freezer 3-way. I can make do with a cool box :)

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #20
Quote by Ally

Does that mean that SWMBO wins :happy:

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #21
Quote by sprinter

The ones in the link are not suitable for a motorhome. They are more for a cabin
The RGE series of gas fridges do not have a flue
The room must have a cubic capacity of at least 20m³, and be well ventilated with a window near by.
The RGE fridge has to be mounted free-standing, meaning a minimum space to surrounding walls or furniture of 50mm (no built in)

from a different website: like everything else in the Dometic range of caravan products

Dometic Dual Energy Refrigerators: Flexible and efficient cooling

Dometic Dual Energy Refrigerators, like everything else in the Dometic range of caravan products are of an excellent quality. Like the multi-compartmental Dometic coolboxes, which offer an excellent solution to small scale cooling problems, for example keeping your six pack of beer cold on a warm summer's day; Dometic Dual Energy Refrigerators are a perfect solution for a specific problem. When it comes to food storage, there is nothing better than Dometic Dual Energy Refrigerators.

Part of their appeal of Dometic Dual Energy Caravan Refrigerators is the fact that they can be powered from multiple sources – either gas and electricity or kerosene and electricity. Not only does this mean that Dometic Dual Energy Refrigerators are flexible in terms of what caravans they can be fitted in, but also in how they are used once they are installed.

This makes Dometic Dual Energy Refrigerators great for portable caravans, because wherever you end up there will be a way of keeping them switched on – and keeping the food within crisp and fresh.

Another reason that Dometic Dual Energy Refrigerators are so popular as caravan fridges is because they are extremely efficient and can work under the most demanding of conditions. So when you're on the French Riviera at the height of summer, you can rest assured that your Dometic Dual Energy Refrigerator will be able to keep your Chablis at the right temperature.

Which are the best Dometic Dual Energy Refrigerators?

Choosing the best model caravan fridge from the wide range of Dometic Dual Energy Refrigerators can be challenging, but there are some considerations which will rule out some models. While cost is one, the most important is usually size. This should be the first thing to be investigated if Dometic Dual Energy Refrigerators seem like the best option for you.

The Dometic Dual Energy Refrigerators range encompasses everything from compact 70 litre fridges to a standard full-size refrigerator with a capacity of 224 litres.

At the bottom end of the scale is the 70 litre Dometic RGE100 Refridgerator. This is the smallest and simplest of the Dometic Dual Energy Refrigerators range. It can be run on either gas or electricity, is completely rust proof and has adjustable wire grill shelves and two adjustable door racks. It sports and ergonomic door handle, a nifty control panel – with both gas and electric temperature controls – and a piezo electric igniter. Its compact size and fantastic value for money makes this one of the most popular of the Dometic Dual Energy Refrigerators range.

Next up in the range is the Dometic RGE2000 Dual Energy Caravan Fridge, which has a 97 litre capacity. This model, which is the most popular in the Dometic Dual Energy Refrigerators range, has three adjustable racks, a bottom rack with capacity for a number of two litre bottles and an adjustable door. This feature, which is common for Dometic Dual Energy Refrigerators, means that caravanners can adjust which way the door opens, making the Dometic RGE2000 Dual Energy Fridge suitable for almost any situation.

Then there's the Dometic RGE300 Dual Energy Fridge, which is perfect for those with a little more space. While holding onto the exceptional efficiency of smaller models in the Dometic Dual Energy Refrigerators range, the RGE300 adds a number of innovative features that you would normally only expect in a household fridge – such as battery powered interior lighting, a temperature setting control panel and vegetable boxes.

And finally, there’s the granddaddy of them all, the Dometic RGE400 Dual Energy Fridge, which takes the total fridge-freezer capacity up to 224 litres – almost the size of a full domestic fridge. This model is for caravanners who have the space to enjoy the trappings of a fully-functioning household refrigerator.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2018  ·  #22
Quote by Ally

Thetford fridge, framed and frameless - it may seem obvious but I can't find the difference in size? in shape? anyone know?

Now it all makes sense :)

"frameless means it comes as it is but framed means you can put in your own decorative panel if you want to replace the panel"

artur
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2018  ·  #23
Hello all.

Just came accross this topic and want to share my fridge installation.
- Standard home fridge - 85 Liters with 9 liter freezer.
- Pure sine wave inverter 1000W with soft start.
- Solar roof panels 200W
- MPPT charging controller + battery 120 Ah.
- Automatic system for switching the inverter on, controlled by the fridge thermostat.
- 3-way charging battery system: split charge system from the alternator, from the outside - rectifier, from solar panels.
Throughout the last season I used a refrigerator and never ran out of electricity.
I must admit that I did not use the campsites and did not load the battery from the outside power source.
The whole installation was made by Stan from Wexford, brilliant guy.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Fridge alternatives

· 
Posted: 07.11.2018  ·  #24
Quote by artur

Hello all.

- Solar roof panels 200W
- Automatic system for switching the inverter on, controlled by the fridge thermostat.
- 3-way charging battery system: split charge system from the alternator, from the outside - rectifier, from solar panels.
Throughout the last season I used a refrigerator and never ran out of electricity.
I must admit that I did not use the campsites and did not load the battery from the outside power source.

Could you ask Stan if he would be interested in doing a post laying out the whole system with costs, it would certainly be of interests to us.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2018  ·  #25
Great testimony Artur. Especially good to get the compressor trigger the inverter. Sounds like your cost per liter of refrigeration came in well below what a Dometic or Thetford would set you back.

Can you tell us the model of the inverter you used?

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2018  ·  #26
Or a bill of materials like Sprinter said?

glastry
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Mercedes-Benz hymer s550
Base Vehicle: Mercedes
Subject:

swmbo ?

· 
Posted: 07.11.2018  ·  #27
Quote by Ally

Quote by ntg

Ahh yeah, I'm going to have to do that anyhow, no matter what fridge I get unless it's from America. I kept the wood of the old one for that reason ;)

Are you a man or a mouse?- put your foot down-tell her she will wait until you have made a balanced decision.
-thats what i think -i would do.

glastry
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Mercedes-Benz hymer s550
Base Vehicle: Mercedes
Subject:

fridge on solar

· 
Posted: 07.11.2018  ·  #28
Quote by artur

Hello all.

- Solar roof panels 200W

Thats a reassuring post, pretty similar.

standard house fridge to suit available space.
pure sine wave 1000 w invertor
solar roof panel 250w
Victron 100/30 mppt
auto start up to switch on the invertor
3 way charging battery system/split charge from the outside
rectifier from solar
COLD beer

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.11.2018  ·  #29
I have sourced a normal house fridge so 230V, i already have a 2500 watt inverter. The space for my fridge is 600X600X1240 (w-d-h)

A normal house fridge is 600 x 600 - w-d

I'm going to give it ago and see how it all goes with 3 x 90Ah batteries. Hope to install my 200watt of Solar soon.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.11.2018  ·  #30
It won’t demand too much power this time of the year, but I reckon the leisure batteries will take a pounding in the summer

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.11.2018  ·  #31
I think the biggest challenge will be fitting enough of venting around the fridge. With good ventilation, the rear grill will cool quicker, therefore need less compressor usage and ultimately saving on power.
Most household fridges that are fitted into kitchens units or undercounters don't have enough of ventilation.
Malcolm

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.11.2018  ·  #32
Quote by Thorn123

I think the biggest challenge will be fitting enough of venting around the fridge. With good ventilation, the rear grill will cool quicker, therefore need less compressor usage and ultimately saving on power.
Most household fridges that are fitted into kitchens units or undercounters don't have enough of ventilation.
Malcolm

With our RV the ventilation is a lot different. Big grill on the outside as a vent and then a very large hole in the roof with a cover on top, so ventilation should be very good.

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.11.2018  ·  #33
Quote by Daffysparks

It won’t demand too much power this time of the year, but I reckon the leisure batteries will take a pounding in the summer

Exactly when the 200watt solar should be working at its best.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.11.2018  ·  #34
Sure what do ya need a big fridge for 😉😉

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.11.2018  ·  #35
Uhm. I’m not sure now. I hope it works for you,.... what wattage is the fridge

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.11.2018  ·  #36
Quote by Daffysparks

It's only a test really to see how it performs, the fridge is free and I have the inverter already. If it has potential then I'll look for a lower wattage fridge and a higher quality inverter.

A 3-way large fridge is over £1100 as I'm sure you are very aware off. So I'll base it on that cost and see what savings can be made, if any.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Fridge alternatives

· 
Posted: 08.11.2018  ·  #37
Quote by Ally

Quote by Daffysparks

It's only a test really to see how it performs, the fridge is free and I have the inverter already. If it has potential then I'll look for a lower wattage fridge and a higher quality inverter.

A 3-way large fridge is over £1100 as I'm sure you are very aware off. So I'll base it on that cost and see what savings can be made, if any.

Nothing wrong with connection it up and running it at home for a few days and work out of it ,to see how things go

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.11.2018  ·  #38
£1100. I wish. Mine was €2200 fitted, and certified. Plus I damn near bought a new van while I was waiting. But what wattage, till we do a few sums. Don’t want to f up your new leisures

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.11.2018  ·  #39
Not just ventilation. Insulation is good too. Ventilate the bits that get warm and insulate the cold bits i.e. padding on the side walls and top would help.

I don’t think this should be a battery killer. Not if done right and assuming you didn’t get a pig of a fridge. The energy usage of the typical fridges I looked at ( Dometic, Thetford ,cheap Curry’s domestic brands), were about 106 up to 190 kWh per annum. I work this out to be about 23Ah per day in the lower range up to 40Ah.

At the lower end you could run the fridge for close to six days before discharging your batteries to 50%.

Any idea of the energy spec of your fridge? Either kWhs per annum or per day?

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.11.2018  ·  #40
I'll check spec tomorrow when I pick it up.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.