Hymer Cork
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B514SL
Base Vehicle: 2007 Fiat Ducati 2.3 130 ps
Subject:

Security

· 
Posted: 04.11.2018  ·  #1
I came across this on the Rimor owners group in the UK!! Looks a handy bit of kit for less then £20 for another bit of piece of mind.

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

Re: Security

· 
Posted: 04.11.2018  ·  #2
That’s an excellent idea doesn’t look out of place eather

Hymer Cork
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B514SL
Base Vehicle: 2007 Fiat Ducati 2.3 130 ps
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2018  ·  #3
Yes I do think so..Plus also very handy for security while you sleep.

[/quote]

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2018  ·  #4
I've read reviews of this product and most are very favourable, BUT a few have said the mechanism has failed in the locked position.
It's one thing to have to dig one out of a house door but entirely another if one fails locked on a MH door >_<

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2018  ·  #5
few have said the mechanism has failed in the locked position.

I can see where condensation or damp could cause problems but if you keep the mechanism well oiled that should sort it

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

on Security

· 
Posted: 04.11.2018  ·  #6
Quote by Rimor superbrig

Yes I do think so..Plus also very handy for security while you sleep.

[/quote]

Look like you could fit it to ant door are there any photos of it with thee door closed ?

thepilote
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: PILOTE REFERENCE
Base Vehicle: DUCATO
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2018  ·  #7
I use a ratchet strap put through both door handles. I also have a sensor connected to the house alarm. Cost of extra sensor €70.

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2018  ·  #8
Quote by thepilote

I use a ratchet strap put through both door handles. I also have a sensor connected to the house alarm. Cost of extra sensor €70.

Break the window and a stanley knife and that is the end of your ratchet strap I would think.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2018  ·  #9
Quote by CHAUSSON

Quote by thepilote

Break the window and a stanley knife and that is the end of your ratchet strap I would think.

That would be my thoughts,I have used a pvc coated wire cord and a padlock through the door handles when in isolated places.

thepilote
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: PILOTE REFERENCE
Base Vehicle: DUCATO
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2018  ·  #10
So then its break the glass and a bolt cutters. If they want to get in they will, I believe all you can do is slow them down.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2018  ·  #11
I’d let them in and introduce them to Emily......

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2018  ·  #12
Quote by thepilote

So then its break the glass and a bolt cutters. If they want to get in they will, I believe all you can do is slow them down.

Slow them down could be good enough Joe, they might move on to an easier target, I know that sounds terrible but its every man for himself out there.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2018  ·  #13
I would say that these scumbags are more likely to have a knife in their pocket than a pair of bolt cutters.
Everyone to their own .

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2018  ·  #14
In remote area's I run the seat belt's through the door handle's and then click in place. The whole excercise is to stop intruder's making a quick grab and dash. We also have 2 dog's anyway that can hear a flea fart a mile away....Best security you can get. :up:

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2018  ·  #15
Quote by Daffysparks

I’d let them in and introduce them to Emily......

I take it your missus is tough then David ? 😋

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2018  ·  #16
You have no idea 😜😜

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.11.2018  ·  #17
Have to agree with Chausson. Have as much visible security and they might pick someone else. I have a coated wire that I padlock between the front doors, also wire the habitation door. The strike back alarm covers doors and hatches with visible lights on the dash and in the reversing light. All the above learned the hard way after being broken into

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #18
Quote by TommyS

Have to agree with Chausson. Have as much visible security and they might pick someone else. I have a coated wire that I padlock between the front doors, also wire the habitation door. The strike back alarm covers doors and hatches with visible lights on the dash and in the reversing light. All the above learned the hard way after being broken into

You and me Tommy, we were broken into in France in a public place outside a Aire in the Last Motorhome. It didn’t effect us for the rest of the Holiday but the following year we were really paranoid. One other thing we do Is always turn the seats side ways with the backs blocking the windows, I also made hooks bolted to the seat base and hooking onto a ring in the door. I’ll try loading photos later.

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #19
Quote by CHAUSSON

No need to break the window i'm afraid, someone cut the rubber that holds the triangular window in my passenger door,and gained entry whilst we were sleeping,whilst parked in a campsite in Val de Loire France a few years ago. We have since fitted the milenco window sensors to all the windows to try to deter anyone else from doing it again.so far so good.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #20
What I have is a small chain and lock which I run through the armrests and the steering wheel ,This is a visable deterent to cutting the side window . Got a knife in my front tyre in a supermarket carpark in Alicante they were not amused,but better than being ransacked. You can also carry a baseball bat or hurley bat but dont forget the ball to practice with, you would not want anybody to think its a weapon .

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #21
Better hide the machete so in case they dont beleive its for cutting bushes when wild camping.
Mine is alarmed, but i dont know how effective it would be if the van is parked up and empty, unless concerned passers by had a look.
On the Knaus i had a lenght of steel wire passed through the door handles, but was always concerned about the small fly windows.

Thornwood
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony Line 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #22
I have fitted dead locks on the cab doors. I had seen videos of how easy it was to break into a Transit. I also put on a steering wheel lock which acts as a deterrent. I have an alarm fitted with internal sensors. We also use a strap on the habitation door. It may seem overkill but it makes us feel safe when inside and confident to leave it when out and about.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

JMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #23
Has anyone fitted the metal strips to the bottom of the windows. Saw the system on U tube and wondering if its an effective device or overkill.

Elmo
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Chausson Flash 05 called "Wally"
Base Vehicle: 2007 Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #24
We havent been to France in the Motorhome yet but hoping to go in 2019, however, listening to the stories on here I am rethinking security. We dont have an alarm nor have we felt the need for it so far.

Just wondering how big an issue is it in France and is getting an alarm fitted advisable?

Also, what are your thoughts on the Milenco Sleep safe alarms? are they any good??

Thanks,
Mark.

GMAC
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #25
Quote by Elmo

We havent been to France in the Motorhome yet but hoping to go in 2019, however, listening to the stories on here I am rethinking security. We dont have an alarm nor have we felt the need for it so far.

Just wondering how big an issue is it in France and is getting an alarm fitted advisable?

Also, what are your thoughts on the Milenco Sleep safe alarms? are they any good??

Thanks,
Mark.

Obviously be security concious, not just in France, but don't be letting it put you of having a great holiday.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #26
Mark,

We all do what we think will give us peace of mind. I have a tracker and a strikeback alarm. This is in addition to a steering wheel lock, the drivers seat turned backwards and padlocked and of course the vans own steering lock and immobiliser. Most of these are to reduce the likelihood of the whole van being stolen.

However I still think the biggest risks are of someone breaking a window for burglary. I also believe there is more likelihood of being pickpocketed when out and about so we all take precautions.

Our van has a separate bedroom, so when we leave it, wether in a supermarket, Aire, campsite or carpark, we always close the blinds in the bed room and close the door. We set an open book, a pair of glasses, and a cup in plain sight through the windscreeen. The radio is left on. The idea being to create the illusion of the van being occupied.

We also have a safe for passports etc but also have hiding places so not everything is in one location. There is also a wallet with expired credit card, receipts and €10 in it and an old phone sitting in a locker so that a thief is more likely to grab these and go. Research indicates a thief will probably only be in a property for a short time.

We also have laminated photocopies of our passports and EHIC cards which accompany us everywhere and the credit card and debit card are split between us. The debit card only has a limited amount on it at any one time and is topped up as needed. I also have a USB stick with copies of all documents in a pocket.

Go to France and enjoy yourself, take the same precautions as you would here, and you will have a ball, and probably feel safer than at home. Disregard stories of gassing, but if going into Spain near Barcelona then read up on the scams that befall a tiny number of tourists and their vehicles and be aware. Do not sleep over on a motorway Aire and you will be fine.

Davy

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

on Security

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #27
Quote by Thornwood

I have fitted dead locks on the cab doors. I had seen videos of how easy it was to break into a Transit. I also put on a steering wheel lock which acts as a deterrent. I have an alarm fitted with internal sensors. We also use a strap on the habitation door. It may seem overkill but it makes us feel safe when inside and confident to leave it when out and about.

Have you s photo of the lock position from the inside.?

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #28
Elmo

I would definitely recommend an alarm that covers all hatches and doors when Inside. The time we were robbed I had forgotten to switch on the alarm. It would have activated once the door was opened. Just take precautions and enjoy your touring

petie
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.11.2018  ·  #29
Elmo,don't let a few break in's put you off your travels,we have been all through France many times since we were broken into,yes at the time it bothered us but now it's just water under the bridge.Just follow the advice given on here and you wont go far wrong.There are many thousands of campers travelling in France at any one time so were just like a needle in a haystack as regards being broken into. Safe travels...

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2018  ·  #30
I have similar type barrell lock on our habitation door, but going to fit one of these to my driver door, if I can.

AliPhatCamper
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2018  ·  #31
What grinds my gears is people on here pooh-poohing precautions that people have taken. Oh bolt cutters would cut that, oh a window would be smashed. Be constructive with comments. Thank you.

Thornwood
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Burstner Harmony Line 700
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 07.11.2018  ·  #32
Quote by sprinter

Quote by Thornwood

They are only operated from the outside.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Security

· 
Posted: 07.11.2018  ·  #33
Quote by Thornwood

Quote by sprinter

Quote by Thornwood

They are only operated from the outside.

The reason I asked is to see if there was room between the pillar and the door to cut off the tongue in case the locks did not open. I had a situation where I had a key broken in the deadlock on the house door the only way to open it with no real damage was get in between the Jam and the door from the inside with a slim 1.5mm SS mini angle grinder to cut off the tongue.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.