Ards & North Down Borough’s public car parks prohibited to Motorhomes - Donaghadee Aire closed

Donaghadee Aire Closed

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Ards & North Down Borough’s public car parks prohibited to Motorhomes - Donaghadee Aire closed

· 
Posted: 01.11.2018  ·  #1
Ards and North Down Council is currently looking at future provision for motorhome visitors to the Borough. This may take some time. Please note that under current legislation overnight sleeping/camping in motorhomes in the Borough’s public car parks is prohibited. This includes at the site of the motorhome service point at The Commons, Donaghadee.
Overnight camping in motorhomes can be accommodated at several commercial sites in the Borough. A link to these can be found at www.visitardsandnorthdown.com
We will update the motorhome community on the Council’s plans for motorhome facilities in due course.

I have emailed in return to ask what laws or by laws they are using to stop us parking overnight.

Liked by: Irishbee

hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

Re: Donaghadee Aire Closed

· 
Posted: 01.11.2018  ·  #2
Did the local council not look into the bylaws before they put in an Aire 🤔

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: LMC Liberty 630R (LHD)
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2018  ·  #3
What brought about this sudden turn of events? I thought they were trying to expand provision for Motorhomes?

big D
Love's the Craic
Homepage: bairdsoundsystems.…
My Motorhome: Auto-Trail Cheyenne 660
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 130 Multijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2018  ·  #4
I heard a rumour a year or so back that there are plans to build a caravan/motorhome site in Donaghadee. Maybe this is the start of it.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2018  ·  #5
I don’t think they can do a u turn just like that? What needs to happen is we all go or a certain number of motorhomes goes each week end to test it out.

joeflo
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2018  ·  #6
Hi Ally where did the statement come from

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2018  ·  #7
Quote by Ally

Ards and North Down Council is currently looking at future provision for motorhome visitors to the Borough. This may take some time. Please note that under current legislation overnight sleeping/camping in motorhomes in the Borough’s public car parks is prohibited. This includes at the site of the motorhome service point at The Commons, Donaghadee.
Overnight camping in motorhomes can be accommodated at several commercial sites in the Borough. A link to these can be found at www.visitardsandnorthdown.com
We will update the motorhome community on the Council’s plans for motorhome facilities in due course.

I have emailed in return to ask what laws or by laws they are using to stop us parking overnight.

Ally i would not hold my breath waiting for that reply.

joeflo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2018  ·  #8
I’ve also contacted our local councillor who I know for clarification
Florence

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2018  ·  #9
Quote by joeflo

Hi Ally where did the statement come from

Tourism Manager, Ards and North Down Council.

joeflo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2018  ·  #10
Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2018  ·  #11
Ards and North Down council are going to be providing Motorhome stopovers, this is a temporary setback for whatever reasons.

Please read the bottom of this post: forum/topic.php?t=18075

Liked by: Irishbee

PaulH
Paid up member.
Homepage: thespaceplace.info
My Motorhome: Thor Axis on LPG.
Base Vehicle: Ford E350 v10.
Subject:

Re: Ards & North Down Borough’s public car parks prohibited to Motorhomes - Donaghadee Aire closed

· 
Posted: 01.11.2018  ·  #12
I visit Donghadee aire regularly to walk the dog as I live about 2 miles away. I've never seen any trouble or meds left by motorhomers. I chat to shopkeepers in the town about the aire and they're very supportive, as to too many motorhomes parked there, there's plenty of parking in the top car park on the road for cars....

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Hymer B598 PL
Base Vehicle: Fiat 130 hp multijet
Subject:

Re: Ards & North Down Borough’s public car parks prohibited to Motorhomes - Donaghadee Aire closed

· 
Posted: 01.11.2018  ·  #13
Bit shocked, but not entirely surprised at the mail from Alex @ n. Down. They were overwhelmed by the number of vans at times over the summer. I understood that overnighting was permitted as ddee had a different bye-law from previous council. In my last meeting on the ground in July I wanted them to block access to the park after about 10 Motorhome bays (like Cobh). I also urged them as a temporary measure to put signs up to redirect overspill to Millisle and Luke’s point to meet demand but take the pressure off ddee.

I would propose that we get a couple of people to contact the various caravan parks listed in the attachment to check are they open at present. Will they take a single night booking, especially a Friday or Saturday. can we arrive late, ie 9pm. From the list provided I have already discovered poor websites, no ability to book online, sites closed for the winter and mixed reviews. The other official link to visitardsandndown does not even list touring sites.

First scan of the document linked to council meeting by joeflo acknowledges the need to make provision for Motorhomes and does not seem to carry anything adverse.

I assume the the tourist department who are supportive of our cause are being manipulated by outside vested interests.

Nobody said this crusade would be easy, so we will just have to keep chipping away. We need to constantly make use of the fact that caravan sites do not supply the product we want at a sensible price, nor have they the business sense to see the easy money all year round by providing easy access flexible overnight parking at a reasonable rate.

Davy

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 01.11.2018  ·  #14
Quote by Davy

Bit shocked, but not entirely surprised at the mail from Alex @ n. Down. They were overwhelmed by the number of vans at times over the summer. I understood that overnighting was permitted as ddee had a different bye-law from previous council. In my last meeting on the ground in July I wanted them to block access to the park after about 10 Motorhome bays (like Cobh). I also urged them as a temporary measure to put signs up to redirect overspill to Millisle and Luke’s point to meet demand but take the pressure off ddee.

I would propose that we get a couple of people to contact the various caravan parks listed in the attachment to check are they open at present. Will they take a single night booking, especially a Friday or Saturday. can we arrive late, ie 9pm. From the list provided I have already discovered poor websites, no ability to book online, sites closed for the winter and mixed reviews. The other official link to visitardsandndown does not even list touring sites.

First scan of the document linked to council meeting by joeflo acknowledges the need to make provision for Motorhomes and does not seem to carry anything adverse.

I assume the the tourist department who are supportive of our cause are being manipulated by outside vested interests.

Nobody said this crusade would be easy, so we will just have to keep chipping away. We need to constantly make use of the fact that caravan sites do not supply the product we want at a sensible price, nor have they the business sense to see the easy money all year round by providing easy access flexible overnight parking at a reasonable rate.

Davy

Thanks for all your hard work so far David, just as you say now is the time to ask for the details of these sites that are open to facilitate us Motorhomers that use our vans throughout the winter Months.
As has been said before this site was probably abused as has happened before at other sites, so when will Motorhomers learn that they must respect other people .

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2018  ·  #15
Quote by Davy

The attachment that was sent with the email from the Council.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

joeflo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2018  ·  #16
Hi Ally
I rang all on the attachment and guess what."...........all closed. Dah. Cloughy caravan park has agreed she can take 1 or 2 if given some notice

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2018  ·  #17
Quote by joeflo

Hi Ally
I rang all on the attachment and guess what."...........all closed. Dah

This is the main issue that we need to get across. There has been further discussions this morning and Davy will be posting shortly.

It's not good news but hopefully good things will happen.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2018  ·  #18
As Ally says I was talking to the council this morning. Due to the overuse by motorhomers not using a bit of common sense and complaints, the council have decided to stop Motorhomes overnighting at the commons Donaghadee. Obviously day parking and use of the service point are not restricted.

I do not know how long this problem will take to resolve, but would be hopeful that in time it can be resolved. The council are aware that simply by attempting to ban motorhoming will not work and can see the economic value in our sector of tourism. They have as I have reported in the past been developing a strategy for the future and hopefully it will be rolled out at some point.

I again reinforced that trying to funnel vans into caravan sites, particularly the big static sites was not likely to work. Having looked at their websites it is obvious they are not set up for our type of use. Most close for nearly half of the year, will not accept bookings for a single night, offer facilities we neither want nor need (possible exception being ehu) and have hours of access that are poor value for money. They are not moving with the times to see the advantage of cheap 24 hour parking with minimum facilities and outlay with a maximum length of stay.

I remain optimistic that at some point councils the length and breadth of Ireland will see the advantage to their whole communities of Motorhome tourism and encourage its growth. We are in it for the long haul and we are not going away either.

Davy

joeflo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2018  ·  #19
I wonder will I still be able to park at 3 am whilst out walking 😉

Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2018  ·  #20
Nice one Davy.
Thanks for keeping us informed.

I wonder how they will enforce it as they never have before.

At least it is the right time of year (so to speak) and less foreign vans are about. Let us hope this matter is resolved before the tourist season Kicks off although it would be poor practice to move on foreign vans.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2018  ·  #21
Is this now a Motorhome Aires without overnight parking?
If I am reading this right then abuse of the site has contributed to this decision, once again Motorhomers ignorance of other people's needs have caused this.

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2018  ·  #22
Yes that is the situation, but hopefully can be resolved in due course. In my discussions with the council I advocated a maximum of 10 marked bays with no access to the rest of the parking area (like Cobh) and with education and enforcement. But it kind of depends on other locations being available (Millisle and Luke’s point to name 2) so that we do not look like a shanty town.

This is also the approach I am taking in Newcastle. Several locations with a handful of bays at each.

Davy

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2018  ·  #23
Quote by Davy

Yes that is the situation, but hopefully can be resolved in due course. In my discussions with the council I advocated a maximum of 10 marked bays with no access to the rest of the parking area (like Cobh) and with education and enforcement. But it kind of depends on other locations being available (Millisle and Luke’s point to name 2) so that we do not look like a shanty town.

This is also the approach I am taking in Newcastle. Several locations with a handful of bays at each.

Davy

Good work and I wish you every success.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2018  ·  #24
This is only a thought of mine and I know that there is an initial cost but it would get rid of the freeloaders, a designated motorhome parking area with a barrier at the entrance.
I have came across this one in the blackforest area of Germany, you pressed a button took your ticket and entered the park and when you were ready to leave you took your entry ticket to a machine and paid the subsequent charge and then had 15mins to leave.
The other one I came across was in France where you approached the barrier then went to a machine near bye and purchased either a 24hr or 48hr ticket then pressed in the code and entered but must have left before it expires or else purchase another one.
If there was no room you could not enter.
Surely some income would offset the initial outlay unlike the way these facilities are being abused by people unwilling to spend anything and abuse the fact that when something is free then totally disregard the community in that area.

BARTRE
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Carado T334
Base Vehicle: FIAT DUCATO
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2018  ·  #25
whilst in france this summer i made use of Camping car Parking aires they have a barrier, 6amp elec hook up, fresh water,and free wifi it is possible to pay at machine at barrier or obtain a swipe card which can be prepayed to any valve to gain access to many of the aires. very secure and when thee aire is full no more entrants average cost 8 euro

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2018  ·  #26
Yes, I have used all sorts in Europe. Free Aires, campingcarpark at about €10 with ehu and WiFi. Open aires and shared Aire/carparks where you pay and display and barrier operated Aires with credit card payment and you receive a code or QR code for entry and exit.

My approach has been to try and encourage free aires, especially were cars can park for free also, not least because I want to get a system of parking up and running at the cheapest possible cost to the council. Being a pessimist I don’t believe a barrier system would survive the type of hallions we have here (not motorhomers) initially I want to avoid cost of installation and maintainence of pay machines. Hence I have advocated ‘home built’ service points specifically without Ehu which in my view encourages overstaying. Imagine Donaghadee with ehu points!!

I will put my hand up and also state that I have advocated to the council an overnight charge at Donaghadee whilst allowing free parking at other locations. This is an obvious way of controlling numbers at specific locations and would be a last resort We see this time and again in France. Hotspots in high demand cost perhaps €10 but a few km back from the coast you can get a free Aire in a small village.

Anyway, a time for cool heads and best behaviour and with luck, whatever the issue, the council can sort it out and move forward.

Davy

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2018  ·  #27
Totally with you on this one Davy,just a pity that the minority destroy it for the majority.

mad max
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2018  ·  #28
I think you are right about the charge Davy,
For example Portumna last year was full (and a few extra) every night before the €10 charge came in,
This year its €10 for 24hr ticket and theres nearly always a few parking spots available,

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2018  ·  #29

I don’t believe a barrier system would survive the type of hallions we have here

👍😆

joeflo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 02.11.2018  ·  #30
We live in Ballywalter and pass the commons regularly. I would say 99% park responsibly and rarely too many motor homes parked up. We have stayed a number of times when dinning in donaghadee including during the summer and have always found that there has been enough room for the cars using the car park.

willie
Love's the Craic
Subject:

Disappointed

· 
Posted: 03.11.2018  ·  #31
Sorry to learn about this closure. There was a lot if work went in getting it opened in the first place, and the council had to change the by laws but then Stormont had people we could meet for help at the time. Aires need monitoring by someone who knows what to look for. I had just heard that some of the site owners were endless on the pressure to get it closed, sites are different and getting a local Aires closed will not help them I would argue quite the opposite.
We almost lost the Broughshane Aires but so far I have been able to intervene and make changes but it is a work in progress and if nobody is in our corner this is what happens.
For what it's worth I think we need a offical organisation that everyone knows is there to operate Aires and even stopovers. Perhaps attached to the tourist office to monitor and control everything with proper funding.

Liked by: roadrunner

Davy
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2018  ·  #32
Excellent idea Willie. I often look at the investment that has and continues to be made in the canals, loughs and rivers via waterways Ireland (which I am fully in favour of) but it shows that large amounts of public money can be utilised for leisure and tourism.

It certainly makes sense to have the same for Motorhomes, which would probably be a better return on the investment.

Maybe we need to piss off caravan site owners by lobbying for municipal campsites for Motorhomes and caravans.

Davy

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2018  ·  #33
Currently at the NI Leisure and the rumour mill is in full force.

However, Ards and North Down Council have a stand there and they are getting inundated with questions about what has happened. All good questions and good communication, we need to rally ourselves together in this issue as it's going to take a bit of beating.

According to rumours at the show, a local campsite has took a legal case against the council as the by laws stop overnight camping or parking.

I'm not saying that is the case, but that's the story that everyone seems to know.

Our extremely outdated and poorly implemented 1963 caravan act seems to be a stumbling block.

I do seem to remember that this 1963 act can be beaten when it comes to Motorhomes so going to look further into that.

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2018  ·  #34
Any of the caravan site companies from the area at the show so they can be directly asked the question

Ally
Founder
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2018  ·  #35
Quote by the fat controller

Any of the caravan site companies from the area at the show so they can be directly asked the question

Not that I've seen.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2018  ·  #36
Quote by willie

For what it's worth I think we need a offical organisation that everyone knows is there to operate Aires and even stopovers. Perhaps attached to the tourist office to monitor and control everything with proper funding.

I've said this before but I really think we need something like what appears to be going on in France ,where Camping Car Parks seem to be taking over village and small town Aires .putting in son money by way of marked pitches c/w EHU ,and providing fresh water / black and grey dumping stations with barrier entry with a card for very reasonable fees

Gavster
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2018  ·  #37

According to rumours at the show, a local campsite has took a legal case against the council as the by laws stop overnight camping or parking.

Sounds like what happened when Cobh Aire opened? I would assume the same or at least similar regs apply across NI so whatever the outcome it will set a precedent. I’ll be up at he show myself tomorrow afternoon. I have never actually got around to staying a Donaghadee yet but that trip will go on the back burner for now. I’ll keep heading up the the north coast in the meantime.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 03.11.2018  ·  #38
So for now what happens to anyone who decides to overnight at the Donaghadee Aires?
Do they go to jail?

joeflo
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2018  ·  #39
I have been in speaking with a councillor we know and he is going to look into to this for me as his understanding is that council is supportive of Motorhomes hence the plans to improve parking overnight for us. He knows were this problem is coming from and I feel it will be sorted out as they are investing a lot of money to provide aires for us on the peninsula. He understands how the area is benefiting from the free advertising they get on Motorhome websites due to having aires. These going round Europe with evidence in donaghadee as shops have benefited from visitors coming France Denmark Germany and from all around our isles.
Here’s looking forward to a bright future, but we should stop blaming ourselves in this particular situation.

jacktherev
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Adria Vision
Base Vehicle: Renault
Subject:

· 
Posted: 04.11.2018  ·  #40
I am just going to use Donaghadee Aire as usual until someone with authority challenges me. We love to go shopping there and also eat etc in Pier 36. Will be interesting to see who tires to move me on when I’m parked legally and the Motorhome is taxed and insured.

Liked by: roadrunner

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.