Flipperdipper
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: HOBBY 600
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

Scary stuff

· 
Posted: 12.10.2018  ·  #1
I copied this article from a web site, ( WeMove.EU ) and find it a bit scary and sinister. The idea that a multinational company can claim ownership of something natural is very serious indeed. What do you think ?

Just last week, we chose the right place to protest against patents on barley and beer: right outside of the building of the European Patent Office, which happened to be on the way to the Oktoberfest, the European get-together of beer lovers.

We showed up with banners in four languages, a big balloon, flags and flyers to demonstrate on the day the patent office would rule on Carlsberg’s and Heineken’s desires to own a regular type of barley - from seed through the brewing process, to the beer itself.

Credit: Falk Heller, argum - activists distribute flyers and flags to beer lovers

Our action showed the strength of our movement: We have collected more than 182,000 signatures from all over Europe to present to the patent office. Together with our partner, no-patents-on-seeds, we gathered activists to demonstrate against multinationals laying claim to what doesn’t belong to them. Our protest was only possible because thousands of us signed the petition, shared it with friends and donated funds in the moment our community needed them.

Credit: Falk Heller, argum - activists distribute flyers and flags to beer lovers

It’s a moment of empowerment when ordinary people on their way to a funfair stop to listen to your arguments, and then join you in protest. People who go to Oktoberfest obviously care a lot about beer, and they took the time to learn about this ridiculous patent threat to many of their favourite brews.

Credit: Falk Heller, argum - Jörg Rohwedder, campaigner from WeMove

Well, did we win? In a small way, we did: The patent originally covered all plants with reduced undesirable flavours. Now the patent is restricted to plants with a specific mutation that can influence the content of these flavours. The European Patent Office significantly decreased the number of types of barley included in the patent.

But unfortunately, the general take-away remains the same: Big corporations can claim ordinary plants as their inventions. They can maximise profits by claiming to own something belonging to nature and to all of us.

But we’re not finished yet. There’s another hearing at the European Patent Office coming, and we’ll be watching the results closely.

Encouraged after a good action, and still hopeful that together all of us can win this struggle,

Mika (Bordeaux), Jörg (Lübeck), Virginia (Madrid), and the whole team at WeMove.EU

PS: If you know anyone who loves beer, please share the petition with them.

WeMove.EU is a citizens’ movement, campaigning for a better Europe; for a European Union committed to social and economic justice, environmental sustainability and citizen-led democracy. We are people from all walks of life, who call Europe our home whether we were born in Europe or elsewhere. To unsubscribe from WeMove.EU, please click here.

WeMove.EU is funded by donations from our community across Europe. Can you chip in with a few euros a month and help make sure we can move fast to win the campaigns that matter to all of us? Donate

Follow on Twitter | Like on Facebook | Subscribe on Youtube

WeMove Europe SCE mbH | Planufer 91 Berlin | www.wemove.eu | Privacy policy

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Scary stuff

· 
Posted: 12.10.2018  ·  #2
Unless it was genetically modified Barley with their own modifications then it's wrong. If it is GM, I'd like to know as I might drink some carlsberg in the future.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2018  ·  #3
we should all boycott Carlberg o.O

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2018  ·  #4
hillton9
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam t-line 740
Base Vehicle: Fiat muiltijet
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2018  ·  #5
Sacralise 🍻🍻 boycott the cheapest beer on the planet 🤐

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2018  ·  #6
This is what Monsanto, creators of Agent Orange and Roundup, get away with in the US. They patent seeds and put small farmers who do not want to conform out of business. Shocking if this comes to Europe.

See ‘Food inc’ documentary available on YouTube and prepare to be scared 😱

johnnymac
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome: Adria 660SP
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 12.10.2018  ·  #7
Quote by The Rambler

This is what Monsanto, creators of Agent Orange and Roundup, get away with in the US. They patent seeds and put small farmers who do not want to conform out of business. Shocking if this comes to Europe.

See ‘Food inc’ documentary available on YouTube and prepare to be scared 😱

A good documentary. Also read The Great Seed Scandal.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.