ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

Inbuilt inverter

· 
Posted: 14.09.2018  ·  #1
Is there such a thing as an inbuilt inverter? The leisure battery is in an akward position under the drivers seat and hard to get to the terminals. Im thinking of some systems where i dont have to be as supple as a teenage gymnast to attach the inverter.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: Inbuilt inverter

· 
Posted: 14.09.2018  ·  #2
You just need to wire your existing inverter from the leisure battery and put it where you want. As it's DC, use heavy cables. You could also run an extension lead (240) from the inverter to a required position.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.09.2018  ·  #3
I normally just attach the inverter with the croc clips and run a small 3 gang lead off it. But i keep it switched off till i need it. If i run hd cables from the battery, are you saying attach the inverter to the cables i run off the battery via the croc clips?

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.09.2018  ·  #4
No. They might come loose. Can you connect them directly by cutting off croc clips, through a fuse of the correct size. I have mine switched through he spare air con switch in main panel, through a relay as the inverter requires a volt free contact to switch it on, and like you, I only switch it on when needed

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.09.2018  ·  #5
will have a look at that David. Something else to tinker with.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.09.2018  ·  #6
Quote by ROBANDSUE

I normally just attach the inverter with the croc clips and run a small 3 gang lead off it. But i keep it switched off till i need it. If i run hd cables from the battery, are you saying attach the inverter to the cables i run off the battery via the croc clips?

Can you not remove the cables form the inverter and connect the new ones? what size of inverter is it?

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 14.09.2018  ·  #7
A 150 watt inverter is perfectly fine to connect via a cigarette socket. A plug can be bought in most motor factors shop for less than a fiver. Just remember when wiring the plug, positive is the centre pin, while negative is the outside pins. There is a glass fuse inside the plug on the positive pin, so it would be fool proof to get spare fuses when purchasing the plug.
To work the amp size of the fuse divide the watts by the voltage and round the answer up to the nearest multiple of 5.
150 watts÷12 volts = 12.5 amps. After rounding up , you need a 15 amp fuse for a 150 watt inverter.
300 watts ÷ 12 volts= 25 amps with no rounding up needed.
Any thing over 15 amps, a relay and an extra switch is needed along with heavier cables.
From my work, I do be asked sometimes to fit inverters into trucks. Inverters by the nature do get very hot, and this is why they have extra metal strips on their sides to allow heat to escape.
Usually I fit them onto the steel base for the seats, using a few tex screws, as the steel helps to conduct the heat away.
Malcolm

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2018  ·  #8
The problem i have is the battery is under the drivers seat and very hard to get at. I will just have to spend some time tonight and sort it.

RTV
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rollerteam Auto Roller
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 2.0 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2018  ·  #9
I wired this to a more convinient place in my van and added a small halfords switch to it to only turn it on as needed. It's wired directly to the battery with an in-line fuse.

Handy for USB ports and a quick reading of the battery voltage:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/pr…UTF8&psc=1

Helgahobby
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2018  ·  #10
Mine is the same as Rami's. The inverter is under the passenger seat seperate from the two batteries under the drivers seat. The heavy duty leads from the batteries go under the floor and up to under the seat. There is a wee on off switch on the side of the seat base, that controls the inverter. We only turn ours on when its in use, and that's usually for hair dryer. I turn the engine on for that because even though it's a 2kw inverter, it wrecks the battery life under that pressure. Hope that's clear??

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2018  ·  #11
Thanks all. Think i will just get a 10kva genny and work off that at all the aires around the country. You think we have a bad reputaion in some parts? :lol:

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 17.09.2018  ·  #12
Quote by ROBANDSUE

Thanks all. Think i will just get a 10kva genny and work off that at all the aires around the country. You think we have a bad reputaion in some parts? :lol:

And don't forget to bring the deep fat fryer for the chips and sausages.
Malcolm

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Inbuilt inverter

· 
Posted: 17.09.2018  ·  #13
Quote by ROBANDSUE

Thanks all. Think I will just get a 10kva genny and work off that at all the aires around the country. You think we have a bad reputation in some parts? :lol:

I'll get you a cheap handy one on wheels, you could run a set of floods on a tripod. with a compressor attacked you can blow up the inflatable awning as well, you might need a cover for it if you were going anywhere in daylight. 8-) ;-)

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 18.09.2018  ·  #14
Never thought of the awning. Will help keep the clothes dry when I hang them up on the airer :lol:

Cadby
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2019  ·  #15
I would like to add that this is what my family and from come some of my favorite trip memories. take the chance to really bond and have some fun as a family on the way to your destination not just once your there. your trip starts when you leave home not when you get to your destination

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2019  ·  #16
Quote by Cadby

I would like to add that this is what my family and from come some of my favorite trip memories. take the chance to really bond and have some fun as a family on the way to your destination not just once your there. your trip starts when you leave home not when you get to your destination

True Cadby. Where did you travel to.

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 11.04.2019  ·  #17
Years ago I had a built in inverter that would boil a household kettle it was massive. I was told that cable from the battery to the inveter had to be as short as possible to stop it dropping power.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.