baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

One for the Sparks out there - Li-Fe Batteries

· 
Posted: 07.09.2018  ·  #1
While over at Dusseldorf I visited a stand selling Li-Fe (Lithium Ion) batteries at about €1800 for a 110 amp unit. That's about ten times the cost of a regular lead acid unit, but it should last up to fifteen times as long. Nissan quote 90% capacity for their LI-Fe batteries in the Leaf after 10 years use.
Other benefits of the Li-Fe battery are a significant weight saving, being less than one third the weight of lead-acid and being able to deliver about twice the power makes one 110 amp Li-Fe do the work of two 110amp Lead Acid while saving about 50kg in weight. Li-Fe also charges quicker and can discharge at a high rate, making them very suitable for running large inverters.
But the price is a real stumbling block.

Have a look HERE, for about €900 or £800 at today's exchange rates 180ah of Li-Fe can be had, which is the equivalent of about 360ah of lead acid, more than enough to the most power hungry motorhome.
If 72ah Li-Fi (140ah Lead Acid) is sufficient for your needs €480 or £430 would do the job.

If a person is going to invest in Li-Fe, buying from suppliers to the electric vehicle and home energy market could represent a huge saving over buying from suppliers into the RV market.

The above is only a lay persons opinion, any sparks out there are welcome to add their professional opinions.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

Re: One for the Sparks out there - Li-Fe Batteries

· 
Posted: 07.09.2018  ·  #2

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2018  ·  #3
Maybe worth it if you were thinking of keeping your van for about 10 years but I really like the idea 👍

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2018  ·  #4
Expensive technology. Good, but still expensive. If the buy back time is 10 years, is it worth it? You could put solar PV panels on your roof to heat your water. But initial outlay would be costly. And realistically you might be better off paying for more expensive energy in the short run, over cheaper energy in the long run. That’s why we mortgage our house loans after all .

the fat controller
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: fincaangelacat.com
My Motorhome: Benimar Tessoro 481
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

· 
Posted: 08.09.2018  ·  #5
Do they not have different charging requirements to lead acid in the same way agm is different

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.