Kilmore Quay new site

kevin1946
My Motorhome: Elddis Autoquest 400rl
Base Vehicle: Peugeot Boxer 290 MWB
Subject:

Kilmore Quay new site

· 
Posted: 26.08.2018  ·  #1
I went to Kilmore Quay for Saturday night and I stayed in the new site behind the Mace,it is only a couple of minutes from the harbour.The site is new and not yet finished completely ,the sites are to close to each other and not marked out properly and a lot of the sites are very uneven it would be hard to level a van .The price was 25€ for all services including electric.,you could pay for parking only if you wanted.
I went at 10 am on Sunday morning and before leaving I could not find where to empty the loo.there was a grey water to back into.
It is the worst site I have been on,I would not go back.
The young lady & husband who own the site are a lovely couple and very helpful but the site is not
Kevin /1946

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Kilmore Quay new site

· 
Posted: 26.08.2018  ·  #2
Why didn't you ask the owners where the services were I'm sure they would have liked your negative feedback so they can correct it , it is only just opened and they probably never ran a campsite before

CHAUSSON
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Knaus Sport Ti 700 UFB Silverline
Base Vehicle: Renault Master 150 dci Quickshift
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.08.2018  ·  #3
Quote by eirebus

Why didn't you ask the owners where the services were I'm sure they would have liked your negative feedback so they can correct it , it is only just opened and they probably never ran a campsite before

Exactly, and at least they are offering parking only at a discounted price, this should be encouraged and Campsites doing it supported,

(The closing of the other aire in the town when this opened,? ( I don’t know the politics behind it and can’t comment)

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.08.2018  ·  #4
As far as I’m aware, that was the agreement. When the site opened the community Centre would stop. Offering overnight parking

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Kilmore Quay new site

· 
Posted: 26.08.2018  ·  #5
It would appear that the village is trying to get its act together, so let us wait and see, there are no funds available, so maybe they are doing what they can afford at this time and like Dick in Ardmore and Joe in Feathard they will get there in the end,
we should encourage them and talk to them when we see something that they could do differently.

ntg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Autotrail
Base Vehicle: Comanche
Subject:

· 
Posted: 26.08.2018  ·  #6
Quote by kevin1946

I went to Kilmore Quay for Saturday night and I stayed in the new site behind the Mace,it is only a couple of minutes from the harbour.The site is new and not yet finished completely ,the sites are to close to each other and not marked out properly and a lot of the sites are very uneven it would be hard to level a van .The price was 25€ for all services including electric.,you could pay for parking only if you wanted.
I went at 10 am on Sunday morning and before leaving I could not find where to empty the loo.there was a grey water to back into.
It is the worst site I have been on,I would not go back.
The young lady & husband who own the site are a lovely couple and very helpful but the site is not
Kevin /1946

No disrespect intended but would it not have been better if you would have had discussed this at length with the lovely couple as you described them.
It is always easy to be negative when the other party have no come back.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.08.2018  ·  #7
lets hope by next season its up and running fully.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: mobilvetta mh 85
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.08.2018  ·  #8
It’s a shame you can go to a restaurant and have 10 good meals and then you have one bad meal and you don’t go back.
I remember when we first opened and I took to heart a few highly critical comments that were made about our site By one particular camper and her final sentiment was you are not salthill.
In fairness a lot of what she said was right but it could have been a bit more constructive but as she was the customer she did not have to sugarcoat it.
She came back this year some 5 years on and at the end of her stay declared it was the best campsite in Ireland.
The site in this thread had tried to seed the site but then came wall to wall sunshine and a drought so the landscaping is not great.
Will this site get better and will they improve? I reckon they will.
Give them another chance when they have had some time to improve and learn.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.08.2018  ·  #9
Quote by Daffysparks

As far as I’m aware, that was the agreement. When the site opened the community Centre would stop. Offering overnight parking

I haven't been to Kilmore Quay for ages so can't comment on the specifics.

However, the above by Daffysparks looks akin to a coffee shop being required to close because a restaurant is being opened down the road, for fear that the coffee shops business might negatively affect the restaurants business.
Personally, I would prefer to give my money in support of a local community effort, when a choice exists.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.08.2018  ·  #10
The community center was only ever intended to be a temporary solution while planning etc was sorted for the site

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.08.2018  ·  #11
The hardest part of any business is the management of people.
Internal equipment, policies and procedures are the easiest bit to deal with or to organise.
As Jamie has said, it has been a horrible year to grow a bit of grass with the cold spring and then the hot summer. Like all new business, there are growing pains in delivering a satisfactory service.
As to the original posting, while it may have be informative, the context of it must be taken will the above point and Jamie's points.
As others have stated pop a letter or an email with some suggestions to the owners of the site as a way of helping them to improve their services.
Malcolm

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.08.2018  ·  #12
Looking at the photos on Google reviews, it looks a bit of a dustbowl alright! I'll bet it'll be more appealing when it greens up.

The customer reviews on Google are generally favourable.

I'd tend to agree with the OP though. Those pitches look very close together.

Best of luck to the new owners. I'll bet this place will do well.

https://www.google.ie/search?q…:1,lf_ui:1

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.08.2018  ·  #13
A bit confused. Is this the development Reference 20140956 for a 'Motorhome Park' which got planning permission in 2015.
Looking at the photos it seems to be operating, contrary to the planning application, as a caravanning and camping site with fully serviced pitches, I see a caravan in one of the photos.
I don't see the usual €10 p/n fee coming anywhere near covering the development costs.

Stella Maris was definitely offering a different product and should not have been forced to close.

Ally
Founder
Homepage: motorhomecraic.com
My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 780
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.8 JTD
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.08.2018  ·  #14
Quote by baguette

Stella Maris was definitely offering a different product and should not have been forced to close.

Latest I seen on the fake news format "Facebook" was that, Stella Morris opened again for Motorhomes due to so many complaints??

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.08.2018  ·  #15
Now that you say that, I was working down there, two weeks ago, and seen two MH parked in Stella Maris field. I just presumed nobody had told them it was closed, as it is still used for a car park for Steela Maris when busy

Erazmus
Craic Addict
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 27.08.2018  ·  #16
I was also in the Site in Kilmore Quay on Saturday night. The site only opened this year and is really work in progress. It looks sparse as the grass seed was sown during the dry spell and quiet a lot of it failed.

The couple who own the site could not have been more friendly and helpful and are striving to make this a 1st class stop.
The entrance has a security barrier and the code is given when you book in.

The pricing is €15 for parking and use of toilet facilities. €5 for electric and €5 for showers.

The toilets and showers are the cleanest I have seen on any campsite. I was parked facing the services block and they were constantly checking them and mopping the floors even during the downpour of rain on Sunday morning.

The grey and black waste is walled and the floor is sloped into the grey waste gully which makes emptying easy as you do not have to stop directly over it. A tap and hose is also located here. These are on the 2nd parking area at the back of the services block. If you walk around the site you could not miss it.

I believe this will be an excellent site but it will take time to get there. I would love to see more campsites around the Country adopting this tiered method of charging as a lot of motorhomes only require a secure place to park. In my opinion we should be supporting the likes of these sites and not knocking them without giving them the opportunity to mature.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Kilmore Quay new site

· 
Posted: 27.08.2018  ·  #17
Quote by baguette

A bit confused. Is this the development Reference 20140956 for a 'Motorhome Park' which got planning permission in 2015.
Looking at the photos it seems to be operating, contrary to the planning application, as a caravanning and camping site with fully serviced pitches, I see a caravan in one of the photos.
I don't see the usual €10 p/n fee coming anywhere near covering the development costs.

It definitely is operating contrary to the original application.
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2018  ·  #18
€5 for showers seems a bit expensive. But best of luck to them, certainly somewher we would use.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2018  ·  #19
Quote by ROBANDSUE

€5 for showers seems a bit expensive. But best of luck to them, certainly somewher we would use.

I wonder if the €5 is for all in the MH to use the showers? As apposed to per person?

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2018  ·  #20
I'd say it's for use of the shower block , washing etc as against using your van facilities only like an Aire

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Kilmore Quay new site

· 
Posted: 28.08.2018  ·  #21
Quote by eirebus

I'd say it's for use of the shower block , washing etc as against using your van facilities only like an Aire

How can anyone police that ,you would want CCTV and someone controlling the doors ,if you use the facilities at 12 pm is someone going to check if you have paid.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2018  ·  #22
yeah that would make it more acceptable. But how would you police that/ One token per day for everyone in the van. ?

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2018  ·  #23
Quote by ROBANDSUE

yeah that would make it more acceptable. But how would you police that/ One token per day for everyone in the van. ?

Key fob and self closing doors.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2018  ·  #24
Sounds like an expensive system.

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2018  ·  #25
Quote by sprinter

Quote by eirebus

,if you use the facilities at 12 pm is someone going to check if you have paid.

IM sure theres not many people sneaking about at midnight stealing a free pee and wash when they can use their van facilities it should be self policeing ,if you want an Aire pay for that if you want a campsite pay for that ,too many Idiots and it will just become a Campsite ,the owners can only try their best

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Kilmore Quay new site

· 
Posted: 28.08.2018  ·  #26
This is from their website, so there is no dought that they are operating a campsite, not a Motorhome park
Good luck to them if the council don't come down on them.
Campervans
A campervan holiday is like no other. Reveal the hidden gems that package holidays frequently miss; striking scenery, historic and cultural attractions in Kilmore Quay. Our fully serviced site consists of 32 berths that can house tents, campervans and caravans
Kilmore Quay Camping & Holiday Park
Caravans

The site can accommodate secure long-term stays up to 6m at special rates for Caravans. (Contact us for more info on long-term stays).
Kilmore Quay Camping & Holiday Park
Camping Tents

For many people, a camping holiday is the best experience for the entire family. We have plenty of room for all sizes of tents – perfect for a family camping holiday.

Our wholly serviced site with 32 berths that can accommodate tents, campervans and caravans.
their price list ( no idea what they mean by Air camping )

€15 for Air Camping with no on-site facilities

Standard nightly rate is €25 with no hidden extras such as gate fees or shower fees.

€15 for bikes and backpackers

For long term stays, please contact us for fantastic rates

Special deals on valentine’s day

Air camping for €15 no facilities

For weekly & monthly camping please call for quotes

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2018  ·  #27
Strange term. i think it relates to those tents on top of your car that are popular on the continent.

StrandCampingDoonbeg
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2018  ·  #28
Quote by ROBANDSUE

Strange term. i think it relates to those tents on top of your car that are popular on the continent.

Air camping should read using the campsite as an Aire I.E parking overnight sleeping in the MH and fill with water and empty grey and black waste.

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2018  ·  #29
and by no on site facilities, are they just referring to the showers, toilets etc.

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 28.08.2018  ·  #30
As far as I know it’s as follows
€15 parking only, as in an aire
€20 parking and Ehu
€25 everything, showers, washing, the lot

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2019  ·  #31
Anybody been to this site this year, was thinking of trying it this weekend

Elmo
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Chausson Flash 05 called "Wally"
Base Vehicle: 2007 Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2019  ·  #32
We were there last weekend and met Maurice (Ahab) there.

Its a nice site within a short walk of the village. Not a lot open in the village but there is a pub and a few restaurants. We would certainly go there again.

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Concerto 255
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato 9 spd Auto
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2019  ·  #33
We were also there last weekend ( Paddys day and bank holiday monday ). Great site and facilities. Lot's to do if you like beach walks etc. Saltees chipper is a must and Kehoes pub has good grub and music at the weekends..... Dont know how I didnt see Maurice and Joan?.....Probably seen me and decided to hide :lol:

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2019  ·  #34
Quote by Elmo

Its a nice site within a short walk of the village. Not a lot open in the village but there is a pub and a few restaurants. We would certainly go there again.

Think you were parked just below us? Didn't know you were a Craicer as I would have introduced myself...

Eamonn
Eat's Sleep's craic
Homepage: Webmail.ie
My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.03.2019  ·  #35
I was in Kilmore Quay on the 17th, didn't have the camper.
Noticed that Stella Maris had a sign up "No Tents". We weren't mentioned.
Also the toilets in the harbour has a sign up telling campe r van owners not to empty their cassettes in the toilets.

Saltee chipper only had a 30 minute wait compaired to the normal up to an hour wait. Still worth the wait.

Elmo
Craic Addict
My Motorhome: Chausson Flash 05 called "Wally"
Base Vehicle: 2007 Fiat Ducato 2.8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2019  ·  #36
Quote by panda

Quote by Elmo

Think you were parked just below us? Didn't know you were a Craicer as I would have introduced myself...

We were parked in the lower field on the left. It was very windy when we arrived on Saturday morning and everyone headed for the right to take the wind head on :-)

I saw your camper as we were leaving and know I had seen your decal before but couldnt remember where. now I know .. here :-)

If you are sitting in at the Saltee then try the sticky toffee pudding. It was so good we had to return for a second tasting

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2019  ·  #37
Hook head tonight and Kilmore tomorrow night

panda
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 22.03.2019  ·  #38
Quote by Elmo

If you are sitting in at the Saltee then try the sticky toffee pudding. It was so good we had to return for a second tasting

Ditto!..... Loved the sticky toffee pudding in Saltees.....cant fault anything we've ever eaten there :-)

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.