TimB
Craic'er
My Motorhome: Carado A366
Base Vehicle: Fiat Ducato
Subject:

Breakdown Cover

· 
Posted: 21.08.2018  ·  #1
Hi all, a while back i posted on here re breakdown cover that has full repatriation for van plus occupants. ADAC seemed to be the one, but they wont allow new non German members.
I wrote a letter to practical motorhome magazine asking for suggestions ( got me star letter and a set of levelers)
However no one could answer.

Well i did a bit of research and if you join the Caravan and Motorhome Club £55 for me and the good lady, you can take out their Red Pennant breakdown cover. It cost me £180 for full European Cover on a 10 year old van, 7M long 3.2M tall. They dont have weight or height limits either. I went for the standard cover, but they had a slightly higher which was £250.

I have put a link so you can see what you get, plus not only is it unlimited, repatriation they specifically cover pets.

Also i booked our ferry to UK and then from UK to France with them. Considerably cheaper than going direct, so i have covered my £55 initial membership costs. They are extremely helpful on the phone as well. Cover residents of UK as well as Eire.
You can have health and travel as well, but i get this through my old job at a very reasonable rate.
Hope this helps someone, link to cover below.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/…ooklet.pdf

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

Re: Breakdown Cover

· 
Posted: 21.08.2018  ·  #2
That a nice one Tim.
It is something for us to read up on.
Malcolm

ROBANDSUE
Nidge
My Motorhome: Hymer 572
Base Vehicle: FORD TRANSIT 2009
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.08.2018  ·  #3
great piece of info. certainly something i will be looking at next year. Although as far as i am aware Stewarts ins. covers repatriation.

TimB
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.08.2018  ·  #4
We are insured with Dolmens, they do cover breakdown, BUT maximum repatriation is 600 euro, so if you think you are covered through your insurance i would check amounts. At least with standard cover via Red Pennant it is FULL COST cover

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.08.2018  ·  #5
Quote by TimB

We are insured with Dolmens, they do cover breakdown, BUT maximum repatriation is 600 euro, so if you think you are covered through your insurance i would check amounts. At least with standard cover via Red Pennant it is FULL COST cover

I just checked the summary of cover for my Stuarts policy link. They allow a maximum of €500 repatriation. What do you think a realistic repatriation cost would be? Say from the south of France.

I think realistically I would be availing of any breakdown assist they offer should the need arise and be relying on local mechanical repair when abroad.

Also, what would happen your cover in a post no-deal Brexit scenario (sorry to bring up the dooms day scenario)?

Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.08.2018  ·  #6
Quote by The Rambler

I just checked the summary of cover for my Stuarts policy link. They allow a maximum of €500 repatriation. What do you think a realistic repatriation cost would be? Say from the south of France.

Read THIS from last year and it was only in Brittany.

We always take additional European breakdown cover. I hope we never need to use it to find out how good it is.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.08.2018  ·  #7
Quote by mark

Quote by The Rambler

Read THIS from last year and it was only in Brittany.

We always take additional European breakdown cover. I hope we never need to use it to find out how good it is.

Crickey! What a nightmare. So is ADAC plus still an option? Who do you go with Mark? Going by that thread, if no cover is in place it looks like AXA International is available although more pricey than having prior cover in place.

TimB
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.08.2018  ·  #8
check very carefully, a lot of the breakdown cover will not cover you if your M/Home is over certain length/height/weight.

Thats why we have gone with Red pennant, you can choose your above measurements when you get your quote

Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.08.2018  ·  #9
Quote by The Rambler

Crickey! What a nightmare. So is ADAC plus still an option? Who do you go with Mark?

We have annual European cover with LV. It covers Motorhomes up to 8m and 7.5 tonnes.
It isn't available for ROI residents as I have e mentioned it on here before but some members couldn't get it.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.08.2018  ·  #10
I just got a quote on the Caravan Club UK for that insurance policy. I can get it for £99 for single trip as a non member. Multi trip would be £260 as a non member. In terms of keeping costs down the single trip as a non member is appealing right now. That saves me the membership cost. And although a year long multi trip policy is clearly better, I still don't know what to make of the whole March 2019 Brexit deadline thing, where some commentators are claiming that we will not even be able to purchase any goods or services from the UK if no deal is reached.

I can't see where it does say they cover ROI citizens but I take it they must do as you yourself purchased a policy TimB. But before I do anything, I would like to double check that ADAC is no longer open to new non-German members as I see on another thread that it depends on who you email for a quote. Can anyone confirm/ deny if ADAC cover is available?

TimB
Craic'er
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.08.2018  ·  #11
I emailed and phoned ADAC. If you are not German, Then Nein, not a hope.

With regards to Motorhome and Caravan club covering non English/UK They specifically cover ROI and i have it in writing from them.

Also they have an ROI members section, of which i am a member.

I am a UK citizen who moved to ROI 2 years ago.

Brexit, wouldnt worry about it. LOB.

UK and ROI has seperate agreements re its citizens which pre date European Union, look on Citizen.ie for info

TimB
Craic'er
Subject:

From Citizen.ie works both ways. So Brexit no worries

· 
Posted: 21.08.2018  ·  #12
People who are citizens of the United Kingdom (UK) are entitled to live in Ireland without any conditions or restrictions. Unlike the citizens of other countries, they are not subject to the Aliens Act 1935 or to any orders made under it. This means that a UK citizen does not need a visa, any form of residence permit or employment permit in Ireland. They are entitled to move to Ireland from any country and they may move to Ireland to work or to retire. Unlike other EU citizens, UK citizens may retire to Ireland without having to establish that they have sufficient resources or that they have private health insurance.

In general, while living in Ireland, UK citizens are entitled to avail of public services on the same basis as Irish citizens living in Ireland. They are entitled to vote in Irish elections with the exception of Presidential elections and referendums.

The right of UK citizens to live in Ireland derives from Irish law. UK citizens also have rights under the EU freedom of movement legislation. These rules do not expand the rights of UK citizens themselves (since their rights are more extensive than those of other EU citizens) but they may be relevant for the family members of UK citizens living in Ireland. Family members of UK citizens who are not themselves EU citizens may be able to move to Ireland to live with them.

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.