Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

Sound Deadening Help!

· 
Posted: 19.08.2018  ·  #1
Afternoon Craic'ers!
So as the title says, I need help with sound deadening. I have a 2005 Euramobil A Class, built on a 2.7 Mercedes Chassis with a 5 speed manual gearbox. Love it dearly but the engine noise while driving is doing my head in! At 80kms revs are at 2800 & at 90 at 3000, forget even attempting to go past that! I tried sound deadening pads on the front (which were a nightmare to fit) and they made no difference at All! So I'm at a loss what to do next. Can spray foam insulation be used, Has anyone had this done and will it work? Or can I get the gearbox ratios changed, or possibly look at changing to a 6 speed box? (With the new box though by adding an extra gear, Will that not just move first to second if you get me and i will still have the same problem?) Any advice as always is much appreciated

eirebus
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Dethleffs Advantage
Base Vehicle: Fiat 2.3
Subject:

Re: Sound Deadening Help!

· 
Posted: 19.08.2018  ·  #2
Your revs sound very high my Fiat will do 90 kms @ 2000 rpm

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.08.2018  ·  #3
What sound deadening pads did you use? There's a lot of stuff available online claiming to be sound deadening, but they're far from it.

KeithF
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.08.2018  ·  #4
Quote by Blag

What sound deadening pads did you use? There's a lot of stuff available online claiming to be sound deadening, but they're far from it.

A friend of mine has a bodyshop and he ordered me in the good stuff that they use on restorations and that, So good product but no use to me. The dash on my car is probably 3 or 4 feet so near impossible to do it all with the pads anyway

Daffysparks

Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.08.2018  ·  #5
I’m watching this with interest. Wondering is their any advantage to trying this on an 04 Ducato. It’s no worse than many I have been in, but would it improve things any, especially for long runs down through France etc

Thorn123
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Chasson flash 03
Base Vehicle: Ford transit 2.2
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.08.2018  ·  #6
Firstly the rev to gear ratio seems to be very high. Most vans in top gear at 100kph, a diesel engine is most efficient either side of the 2000 rpm.
Have you checked your engine mounts? They could be perished and cause a metal on metal vibration.
Another thing, the internal baffle in the exhaust box could be busted. A quick shake or a couple of light hammer taps on the silencer box will give you the tell tale rattle of a loose baffle.
Malcolm

AliPhatCamper
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.08.2018  ·  #7
You may be able to fit higher profile "taller" tyres to lower the engine revs a bit.

Although no more than 5% difference is recommended.

Go to wheelcalc.com or blackcircles.com to calculate the circumference of your current tyres and contact other owners and if they think their MH is reasonably quiet then check out their tyre sizes and make.

Go to willtheyfit.com and try bigger wheels as well as higher profile tyres.

The cross section of the tyre doesn't have to be very broad, something which is often cosmetic but can contribute to road roar.

Always bear in mind load ratings of course. Even "borrow" some wheels for a trial run and check out your speed via a sat-nav.

KeithF
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.08.2018  ·  #8
Quote by Thorn123

Firstly the rev to gear ratio seems to be very high. Most vans in top gear at 100kph, a diesel engine is most efficient either side of the 2000 rpm.
Have you checked your engine mounts? They could be perished and cause a metal on metal vibration.
Another thing, the internal baffle in the exhaust box could be busted. A quick shake or a couple of light hammer taps on the silencer box will give you the tell tale rattle of a loose baffle.
Malcolm

Both good Malcolm, Had all this checked previously to no avail. The sound is the engine roar, as with it being an A Class the engine is right under the dash so more or less inside the cab unlike a normal camper. That being said if there were a way to lower the revs it wouldn't be a problem. I've just uploaded the only pic i have on my phone Of the dash, you can see if you look closely there is about 3 foot or so between the steering wheel and windscreen, so quite a large area
You must be logged in or your permissions are to low to see this Attachment(s).

KeithF
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.08.2018  ·  #9
Quote by AliPhatCamper

You may be able to fit higher profile "taller" tyres to lower the engine revs a bit.

Although no more than 5% difference is recommended.

Go to wheelcalc.com or blackcircles.com to calculate the circumference of your current tyres and contact other owners and if they think their MH is reasonably quiet then check out their tyre sizes and make.

Go to willtheyfit.com and try bigger wheels as well as higher profile tyres.

The cross section of the tyre doesn't have to be very broad, something which is often cosmetic but can contribute to road roar.

Always bear in mind load ratings of course. Even "borrow" some wheels for a trial run and check out your speed via a sat-nav.

Something I never thought of, Will take a look at this now 👍🏻 Thanks for the input

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.08.2018  ·  #10
you need a sound deading pack ,Try Ebay to start with and if no luck ,then try coach converter suppliers . Ref your engine noise at speed, most gearboxes are one to one ratio in top gear no matter if it is 5 or 6 speed, unless it has a specific overdrive top. You should check your back axle as there is a difference in the crownwheel ratio i.e one for delivery and one for long distance work. A second hand one is the handiest if you have no mechanical know how. As it has been already mentioned you can oversize on tyres to compensate the low ratio.

KeithF
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.08.2018  ·  #11
Quote by nilrac

you need a sound deading pack ,Try Ebay to start with and if no luck ,then try coach converter suppliers . Ref your engine noise at speed, most gearboxes are one to one ratio in top gear no matter if it is 5 or 6 speed, unless it has a specific overdrive top. You should check your back axle as there is a difference in the crownwheel ratio i.e one for delivery and one for long distance work. A second hand one is the handiest if you have no mechanical know how. As it has been already mentioned you can oversize on tyres to compensate the low ratio.

Some great info there nilrac, Thank you for that. Just on the crown wheel though, Are you talking about replacement?

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.08.2018  ·  #12
Check the seal between the top of the Merc bulkhead, behind the Merc dash, and the Euramobile bit that comes back from the bottom of the windscreen which connects to it. You will have to take off the top trim, the 3 foot bit you mention in your post, to see the joining.
If the joining of the two is not properly sealed, if it has come undone or loose, the engine noise will come straight through.

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Matilda 2 Pilote 703FP Explorateur
Base Vehicle: 3ltr 318 Sprinter Automatic
Subject:

Sound Deadening Help!

· 
Posted: 19.08.2018  ·  #13
Keith, If memory serves me correctly, they gearbox has been changed or
worked on twice and if it could have been upgraded to 6 speed Dave would have done it ,you're spot on it Cruses super at 90 for just under 3,000 rpm.
I think like Nilrac maybe some research into the diff might be the way to go.
By the way the table look great.

essjay
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.08.2018  ·  #14
Noise cancelling headphones......

Mark&Wendy
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Roller team 707
Base Vehicle: 2016 Ducato
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.08.2018  ·  #15
If you sort this out, then you will need to deal with the noise of everything else banging about in the back.

KeithF
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.08.2018  ·  #16
Quote by sprinter

Keith, If memory serves me correctly, they gearbox has been changed or
worked on twice and if it could have been upgraded to 6 speed Dave would have done it ,you're spot on it Cruses super at 90 for just under 3,000 rpm.
I think like Nilrac maybe some research into the diff might be the way to go.
By the way the table look great.

Thanks Sprinter, Yeah definitely going to go down the diff route. She's getting plenty of use now and will be looking to go abroad come next year so if I can get this sorted there will be no stopping me 😁 Oh & the table is out again at the minute, I understand now why Dave had it out 😂

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 19.08.2018  ·  #17
Yes Keith ,That is classed as the final drive ,the crown wheel and pinon., I would look on the housing and the ratio. i.e. the number of teeth on the crown wheel, will be stamped on it. If it is a slow one , then replacing with one from say an ambulance would give you a good turn of speed at lower revs and less noise. In my bygone days we used to put a bus crown wheel in the furniture vans as they went long distances giving better journey time and less fuel.

KeithF
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.08.2018  ·  #18
Quote by nilrac

Yes Keith ,That is classed as the final drive ,the crown wheel and pinon., I would look on the housing and the ratio. i.e. the number of teeth on the crown wheel, will be stamped on it. If it is a slow one , then replacing with one from say an ambulance would give you a good turn of speed at lower revs and less noise. In my bygone days we used to put a bus crown wheel in the furniture vans as they went long distances giving better journey time and less fuel.

Super info once again nilrac, Will let you know how I get on

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Sound Deadening Help!

· 
Posted: 20.08.2018  ·  #19
You could try covering it with rubber backed carpet with the rubber side up, to see what effect you get .before taking the dash covering out,it would. Be a pity to go to all the trouble to no great effect.

Blag
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: 1980 Coachmen Leprechaun
Base Vehicle: GMC G35 Vandura. 6.7 Litre Chevy V8
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.08.2018  ·  #20
Quote by KeithF

Quote by Blag

A friend of mine has a bodyshop and he ordered me in the good stuff that they use on restorations and that, So good product but no use to me. The dash on my car is probably 3 or 4 feet so near impossible to do it all with the pads anyway

I'll be following your progress with interest.

For my camper, I got in touch with a company in the US called Dynamat and they recommended a product called "Dynamat xtreme". The specifications and customer reviews were very good.

Even though it was pricey, I bought about 15 sheets of it and installed it on my floors and bulkhead while I had the dashboard out of the camper. I'll be gutted if this stuff doesn't cut down on the engine noise!!

When I stripped the camper, I removed a load of this foam padding which was deteriorating. This is the kind of stuff you see on old luxury cars for soundproofing. I don't even know what it's called but i wonder if it can be bought in Ireland...

Baguette made an interesting point:
Quote by baguette

Check the seal between the top of the Merc bulkhead, behind the Merc dash, and the Euramobile bit that comes back from the bottom of the windscreen which connects to it. You will have to take off the top trim, the 3 foot bit you mention in your post, to see the joining.
If the joining of the two is not properly sealed, if it has come undone or loose, the engine noise will come straight through.

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.08.2018  ·  #21
Blag, I think that is called foam chip underlay. A good site for foam deading and other underfelt is, www.acefoam.co.uk

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 20.08.2018  ·  #22
Kayfoam Woolfson in Naas.
01 419 2999 would Probally be able to give you a lead on that type of foan chip.

KeithF
Love's the Craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.08.2018  ·  #23

Ok, So after a bit more digging about, Got under the wagon today and took a part number off the rear axle, I can see now why I am having the issues I am considering what the rear axle is out of (the pic above!!), Also I Googled an image of the axle as a mechanic who was nearby today said that with my diff, It wouldn't be possible to change the crown wheel / pinion, but would have to change the entire axle! Somome on here might be able to she more light on that

nilrac
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 21.08.2018  ·  #24
That looks like a bit of heavy kit Keith. It could be from a heavier gvw model hence the lower gear. Google, Mercedes sprinter van clubs and you will be able to glean more information on rear axles and spares /prices

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.09.2018  ·  #25
I could hire you the wife, she can drown out anything

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

Sound Deadening Help!

· 
Posted: 05.09.2018  ·  #26
Quote by TommyS

I could hire you the wife, she can drown out anything

Tommy, I take it your wife, either doesn't read what's on here or you are already locked up in the shed or in the motorhome lifted up on blocks :lol:

sprinter
Eat's Sleep's craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 05.09.2018  ·  #27
Quote by KeithF

Ok, So after a bit more digging about, Got under the wagon today and took a part number off the rear axle, I can see now why I am having the issues I am considering what the rear axle is out of (the pic above!!), Also I Googled an image of the axle as a mechanic who was nearby today said that with my diff, It wouldn't be possible to change the crown wheel / pinion, but would have to change the entire axle! Somome on here might be able to she more light on that

If you are thinking of going in the direction of changing the axle, the Sprinterman in Cooper Hill. Carlow might be worth a call, he scraps loads of sprinters. would probably be able to offer some wise words.

087 242 0833
059 914 7969
sales@mercedessprinters.ie

TommyS
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: EuraMobil
Base Vehicle: Fiat
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.09.2018  ·  #28
We have a garage in the motorhome, it’s cosy in here

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.