MPPT Solar Controller Load Out to Starter Battery

essjay
Love's the Craic
Subject:

MPPT Solar Controller Load Out to Starter Battery

· 
Posted: 30.07.2018  ·  #1
I've ordered the MPPT Solar Controller which a few have recommended on this forum - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130616352324

I currently have a very cheap looking device which seems to step down the 20v to 12v (or thereabouts) to charge the leisure batteries. I'm sure there's some other tech in there to monitor the battery etc.

Since the new controller I've bought has a "load" output which I assume is enabled when the leisure batteries are fully charged, could I:

• Run the MPPT "load" output to the cheap controller
  • Run the output of the cheap controller to the starter battery so it charges from the solar panels

Thanks....

<BM>
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rimor Superbrig
Base Vehicle: Ford Transit
Subject:

Re: MPPT Solar Controller Load Out to Starter Battery

· 
Posted: 31.07.2018  ·  #2
The load in this instance would be to lights, devices, etc... It will allow power from the battery to these even when there is no solar power incoming but may have a cutoff when the battery goes below a certain voltage. It's not a suitable setup for charging the starter battery but other controllers can be found with two battery outputs.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2018  ·  #3
I have ONE OF THESE it keeps the battery in top condition.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Base Vehicle: Vauxhall Movano 2.5 CDTI
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2018  ·  #4
Quote by baguette

Interesting. It is essentially a split charge relay but marketed on the basis of current flowing in the reverse direction from the leisure battery to the starter battery when solar is available. I’d imagine it could work in conjunction with a standard split charge relay, i.e. in parallel with. Apparently some split charge relays will close when a high voltage is detected on the secondary battery anyway. Not a behaviour I would choose myself. When the leisure battery has been in use all night I would want to see all the solar charge go into the leisure battery the next morning and none to the starter battery.

That said, in my custom set up, when the engine has been running and charging my leisure battery via my split charge relay (standard VSR) and the two batteries are now in parallel, if I then turn off the engine and the solar charger is holding the battery voltages high, the split charge relay stays closed. Again not something I want so I would usually turn on the 12 volt fridge for a few seconds, if I remember. This load will pull the voltage down enough to open the relay and break the connection between the the batteries.

Stoney
Just doing it!
My Motorhome: LeVoyageur
Base Vehicle: Mercedes Sprinter
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2018  ·  #5
Jason, your "custom set up" doesn't sound right to me. Would it not be more logical for the Split Charge Relay to be energised by the voltage output from your Alternator when the engine is running and therefore supplying the charging current through it's, now closed, contacts? The relay, in this configuration, would de-energise when the engine is switched off and charging of the batteries would cease at the same time. I don't think that normal battery voltage is sufficient to keep the Split Charge Relay energised.
I stand to be corrected, but I think that most of these MPPT controllers will charge the vehicle battery only after the leisure battery has reached it's optimum charge level.

baguette
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome: Rapido 963F
Base Vehicle: Ducato 2.8 JTD Power
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2018  ·  #6
Quote by The Rambler

Quote by baguette

Interesting. It is essentially a split charge relay but marketed on the basis of current flowing in the reverse direction from the leisure battery to the starter battery when solar is available. I’d imagine it could work in conjunction with a standard split charge relay, i.e. in parallel with. Apparently some split charge relays will close when a high voltage is detected on the secondary battery anyway. Not a behaviour I would choose myself. When the leisure battery has been in use all night I would want to see all the solar charge go into the leisure battery the next morning and none to the starter battery.

That said, in my custom set up, when the engine has been running and charging my leisure battery via my split charge relay (standard VSR) and the two batteries are now in parallel, if I then turn off the engine and the solar charger is holding the battery voltages high, the split charge relay stays closed. Again not something I want so I would usually turn on the 12 volt fridge for a few seconds, if I remember. This load will pull the voltage down enough to open the relay and break the connection between the the batteries.

Not quite a simple split charge relay.

The unit works as follows:
When the voltage of the leisure battery is greater than 13.6V the unit will 'wake up' and send charge the starter battery.
When the voltage of the leisure battery drops below 12.5V the unit will 'sleep' and stop sending current to the starter battery.

During the engine battery charging the output is limited to 4 amps.
It's basically to compensate for draws from the engine battery like a dash radio, cab area lights which may be part if the base vehicle circuit and any other discharges from that battery.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2018  ·  #7
Quote by Stoney

Jason, your "custom set up" doesn't sound right to me. Would it not be more logical for the Split Charge Relay to be energised by the voltage output from your Alternator when the engine is running and therefore supplying the charging current through it's, now closed, contacts? The relay, in this configuration, would de-energise when the engine is switched off and charging of the batteries would cease at the same time. I don't think that normal battery voltage is sufficient to keep the Split Charge Relay energised.
I stand to be corrected, but I think that most of these MPPT controllers will charge the vehicle battery only after the leisure battery has reached it's optimum charge level.

That’s pretty much what I have if we ignore the solar side of it for the moment. With the engine switched off, the starter battery voltage is below the voltage of the split charge relay ‘on’ threshold and the relay is open. Engine then switched on, the alternator pushes the voltage up to about 14.4V, now the relay is closed. The engine is then switched off, the starter battery voltage present at relay will eventually drop below the ‘off’ threshold and the two batteries are isolated. It takes a few seconds after the engine is switched off before you hear the relay click.

But with the solar panel and controller in circuit, if I then turn off the engine, the solar controller could well be keeping the starter and leisure battery voltage above the relay threshold and the relay will never open until either the sun goes down, or I remember to open the relay. I can open the relay either by flipping the PV isolator switch, or just turning on the fridge 12 V power. As the fridge will draw about 10 amps, if the engine is not running this will be enough to pull the battery voltage below the relay threshold in a matter of seconds.

It’s not a big issue. Often the fridge will be on 12 V power anyway when on the go so when I stop the engine the relay will open. And even if I forget about it, the worst case scenario is my solar panel is charging the two batteries until the sun goes down. Once the sun comes up the solar controller would not be capable of closing the relay. Only the alternator can do this. To avoid all this, ideally I would take an ignition on signal to power a relay and do away with the VSR, but I haven’t been bothered.

The Rambler
Eat's Sleep's craic
My Motorhome:
Subject:

· 
Posted: 31.07.2018  ·  #8
Quote by baguette

When the voltage of the leisure battery is greater than 13.6V the unit will 'wake up' and send charge the starter battery.
When the voltage of the leisure battery drops below 12.5V the unit will 'sleep' and stop sending current to the starter battery.

It's basically to compensate for draws from the engine battery like a dash radio, cab area lights which may be part if the base vehicle circuit and any other discharges from that battery.

Yeah I get you. It’s a VSR that monitors the leisure battery voltage. Looks like a reasonable way to do it. It would probably solve the OP’s problem.

essjay
Love's the Craic
Subject:

· 
Posted: 06.08.2018  ·  #9
Quote by baguette

So is this wired between your Maximum Solar MPPT controller and the leisure batteries?

Selected quotes for multi-quoting:   0

Registered users in this topic

Currently no registered users in this section

The statistic shows who was online during the last 5 minutes. Updated every 90 seconds.